PDA

View Full Version : ASIN & AISIN hubs

PhatFJ
07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Hey, I am looking at 30 spline hubs for my 40. I found a set, and the guy says that they are ASIN not AISIN. Are there these 2 different types? If so, what is the difference?

Thanks, Brian

wesintl
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
no.. they are probably AISIN. People commonly misspell the name as asin, aisan, etc. etc.
Some are ASCO which is the same thing.

PhatFJ
07-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks!!! That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure before I made a duhhh out of myself...

Thanks again!!
Brian

PhatFJ
07-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Update: So here is an update, I just got off the phone with Bobby Long talking about hubs. He said that I can get a less expensive IFS hub, install his chromolly 30 spline hub gear in it and have a better hub yet for the money. Any thoughts??

RicardoJM
07-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Update: So here is an update, I just got off the phone with Bobby Long talking about hubs. He said that I can get a less expensive IFS hub, install his chromolly 30 spline hub gear in it and have a better hub yet for the money. Any thoughts??

At $65 a side and the cost of IFS hubs, it will likely be a higher initial cost that the going rate for used solid axle asin hubs. Of course you end up with stronger hubs.

wesintl
07-14-2010, 02:11 PM
In the grand scheme of things I don't think the ifs 26 spline hubs are really any cheaper but yea otherwise they are the same and you can swap out the spline

DaveInDenver
07-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Like Ricardo says, this is a good option if you have IFS hubs or can get them really cheap. If I was to do a solid axle swap I would probably do them since I already have several 27 spline hubs. But I wouldn't have thought it would be cheaper compared to getting a set of the right ones.

Air Randy
07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I think I have a set of Warn IFS hubs that are in good shape, you are welcome to them. Whatever you go with, spend the coin and put in the Long chromoly hub gears. They ensure the lifetime warranty on your Longfields stays intact and they are the next weak point after upgrading your axles.

PhatFJ
07-14-2010, 02:47 PM
OK, so here comes a dumb question.. Why can't I just use the hubs I have on the 1970 fj40 and replace the hub gear with 30 spline Chromolly, and forget buying the IFS hubs??

wesintl
07-14-2010, 02:56 PM
cause the birfs are coarse spline and the hubs aren't aisin so the hub gear won't fit the warn, selectro, or whatever hub you have. probably the length of the birf too but there is no need due to the former

PhatFJ
07-14-2010, 03:13 PM
I am looking at putting the Longfield 30 spline berfs in.. This is why I am needing to upgrade to 30 spline hubs to begin with.. If it is only the hub gear that makes it compatable, it seems that I could use the stock hubs??

wesintl
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
iirc the hub gear only works in aisin hubs and you probably don't have those since they never made them for coarse spline birfs. it would be kinda cool if Aisin made coarse spline hubs

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/products/TOYOTA-INNER-HUB-GEAR.html

PhatFJ
07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
iirc the hub gear only works in aisin hubs and you probably don't have those since they never made them for coarse spline birfs. it would be kinda cool if Aisin made coarse spline hubs

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/products/TOYOTA-INNER-HUB-GEAR.html

Ah ha, my 40 is up at a buddies house or I would go and look, I am sure you are correct. So, here is another dumb question then. What hubs did Toyota use on the 1970 coarse spline axle? Are they Toyota's? And to wrap this up. Since I have to replace the hub, and I want to put in the Longfield hub gear to go with the Longfield axles. It seems logical and to no disadvantage to buy the IFS hubs (at a lower cost than the 30-spline hubs), Longfield hub gear to go with the Longfield axles. I will spend less in the long run and have better hubs and axles both guaranteed for life. Yes?? :D Oh, by the way, thanks for your paitence with me!! I appreciate it!!

Brian

wesintl
07-14-2010, 05:00 PM
most are all aftermarket or dealer installed since they came with driveplates.

Selectro and warn seem to be the most popular, cutlass, to name a few.

I dunno about cheaper in the longrun but whatever. you won't have a backup but you could always buy another 30 spline hub. Some people like the fuse of the hub and it's easier to change vs other things. I dunno I don't run them so I can't really comment on that aspect.