PDA

View Full Version : Uhaul or Penske?

chtucker
07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Have any of you moved a vehicle long distance with either companies car carriers? We are considering moving my our 2007 FJ cruiser with 265/70/17s

U haul says I have to provide my own tie downs if the tires are over 30"

Penske says no...due to the tire size..

DaveInDenver
07-16-2010, 05:17 PM
We got a U-Haul van once to move and will never again. We did Penske when we moved to our current house, much better experience. Much better quality truck, too.

FJBRADY
07-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Penske does have better Trucks. If you are going to tow the FJC purchase HD tie ratchet straps and go with U-haul.

The towing differences/rules between the two companies are due to liability....not sure if you will be able to rent a Penske and tow with a Uhaul trailer.

Good luck.

wesintl
07-16-2010, 05:38 PM
I got a u-haul cause it was the only thing i could get at that time of year moving 1700 miles. It was a POS but it got me here. rental place gave me a half dozen bottles of oil for the trip :hill: I was like O lord I hope i make it.

Dr. Schlegs
07-16-2010, 06:39 PM
When I moved out here from Minneapolis I went with Uhaul. I got a flat bed trailer for my 40. Now my 40 has 33's under it. I aired the front tires down to zero and ratcheted them down with the tire straps provided. (I never know how flexible a tire could be.) I had some ratchet straps of my own that I hooked the rear end and front end with as well. Thing worked great. Went to a near by gas station, undid the tire straps, aired up the tires and drove back to my apartment. Undid all the straps and rolled the sucker right into the garage. LOOK HOW FLAT THOSE SUCKERS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

chtucker
07-16-2010, 06:49 PM
So can I just tell penske that I am moving a civic?

Dr. Schlegs
07-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Check the tongue weight and all that. If a stock FJC is with in limits tell them you are moving a FJC. They never asked me about tire size. Further the bigger the truck the greater the tongue weight.

nuclearlemon
07-16-2010, 11:01 PM
look on ih8mud. there are a few horror stories, including one that involved the demise of an fj55 and an fzj80 when the trailer tongue broke.

hyperboarder
07-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Used Penske twice, I'll never go back to Uhaul. Call them, they'll just start giving you discounts for no reason whatsoever. If you're getting the truck too, the Penskes are diesel, which is better imo. I moved a TJ on 35's, had to supply my ratchet straps and tell them it was an SE with 28's, but I got it here. Really up to you, if something breaks you might be in deep ****, but otherwise it's a fine way to do it.

The other option is buy a trailer here and sell it at the other end.

Man Jerk
07-18-2010, 10:04 AM
When I moved from MPLS I used Penske and don't have enough good things to say. Very good experience.

I hauled my then FJ60 on 35" tires on a tow dolly. I swapped the front tires over to some free rollers I was given and had no trouble at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/MarkDJ/Wagononthedolly001.jpg

RockRunner
07-18-2010, 11:40 AM
We have leased Penske trucks for 10 years now with now breakdowns what so ever. The worst we have come across is a flat tire and a truck that reeked of cigarette smoke.

U haul would not work with us so the lost out on a lucrative contract. Penske comes to Lockheed to do PM on their trucks every three months.

Our experience with Penske is great but we lease local only.