PDA

View Full Version : 402 help, and how to clean the intake/throttle body on an fzj80

nakman
07-18-2010, 05:29 PM
just start anywhere, thanks! :D

nakman
07-18-2010, 05:57 PM
well you guys aren't much help :rolleyes:. I managed to find the thread from when I was in here before.. looks like 6 years ago. :eek: I guess it was time... http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/14657-how-clean-your-throttle-body-3.html

nakman
07-18-2010, 06:19 PM
So this whole time I thought I was chasing down a P0402 code, and my solution was cleaning up some ports in the throttle body. I just double-checked and I've got three codes now. Yes, three.. . :rolleyes:

P0100 MAF or VAF malfunction
P0110 IAT sensor circuit malfunction
P0402 EGR flow excessive

So open to ideas here, thanks. :beer:

nakman
07-18-2010, 08:14 PM
some pictures...

60wag
07-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Mine wasn't that nasty when I cleaned it. Any chance you've got a vac hose still disconnected or hooked up wrong? Are there any small ports in the housing that got plugged during the cleaning? Try pulling the battery to clear the codes and see if they come back.

nakman
07-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Mine wasn't that nasty when I cleaned it. Any chance you've got a vac hose still disconnected or hooked up wrong? Are there any small ports in the housing that got plugged during the cleaning? Try pulling the battery to clear the codes and see if they come back.

I've been clearing codes for a month now.. has only been 402 until today, was surprised by the other two. And I blasted some carb cleaner all around and am able to blow air through every vacuum line and port on the TB itself. I will try to poke a paper clip in through the three tiny ones that are right at the butterfly valve later tonight once everyone else is cribbin..

this sucks, and with no receiver hitch on the Taco it could be tent camping instead of pop-up camping at Camp Hale, which likely makes is a boy-only trip.. :( I'm sorry 80, I'll get you some more attention soon, promise. :o

nakman
07-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey Bruce, did you squirt TB cleaner into that intake plenum? or did you disconnect it? that much gunk just can't be good for things.. but I don't trust myself enough to yank that off there's just too may vacuum lines on this thing. I may leave that gunk alone on the intake manifold side.

nakman
07-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Well I got as far as pulling the EGR valve off, at least most of the way to allow for any carb cleaner to drain out. Upon further inspection my intake manifold really isn't that dirty.. I blew out the EGR check valve filter per the FSM, kinda wondering what else to clean while I have so much apart...

edit: Ok so it's looking like my P0110 code is just a loose connection with my MAF, probably from when I recently installed that Landtank housing sleeve? great.. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/285520-maf-install-throws-p0110.html

edit2: and per our buddy Onur, looks like P0100 may just be the same thing: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/104399-cel-codes-list-1997-fzj.html

so then let's say for the moment a few minutes with a jewler's pick and some dielectric grease and the first two are taken care of. Here's what the dealer would say about 402:

P0402: EGR Flow excessive detected: Trouble Areas: EGR valve stuck open; EGR VSV open malfunction; open in VSV circuit for EGR; short in EGR gas temp. sensor circuit; ECM.

I think I have a new VSV (will search in a minute), so maybe I should just pop for a new EGR valve?

nakman
07-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Here's a GREAT thread that shows how to wrap the wiring harness. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/246354-newb-q-what-do-you-use-re-wrap-wire-loom-near-erg-pipes.html

In case you missed it, or have been avoiding this particular drama, the deal is the EGR system has a pipe that runs right next to your wiring, which has burned some folks' wiring harness up. So some have elected to disable the EGR completely, thereby reducing that risk. Others have instead chosen to just wrap the wiring harness with some kind of heat protection, while the remainder of 80 owners have done nothing, due to either disinterest, skepticism, or oblivion. Hey which are you?

I'll most likely be the guy who wraps some kind of metal tape around the wires.. amazing what you find when you need to figure something out.

Jacket
07-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Seems like for all you've been through with the EGR codes, popping for a new one would be a reasonable decision at this point. Especially if you already own the $90 VSV.....

RockRunner
07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Not much help here but if you have a lot of wires/hoses I just mark them with tape and numbers. That way I just match up 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 very easy at that point.

BTW I really like your stand, that is a great idea, just wish I had one.

Hulk
07-19-2010, 12:42 PM
while the remainder of 80 owners have done nothing, due to either disinterest, skepticism, or oblivion. Hey which are you?

I'm oblivious, thanks. And thanks for posting all this up, to edumacate folks like me.

rover67
07-19-2010, 01:15 PM
I've been clearing codes for a month now.. has only been 402 until today, was surprised by the other two. And I blasted some carb cleaner all around and am able to blow air through every vacuum line and port on the TB itself. I will try to poke a paper clip in through the three tiny ones that are right at the butterfly valve later tonight once everyone else is cribbin..

this sucks, and with no receiver hitch on the Taco it could be tent camping instead of pop-up camping at Camp Hale, which likely makes is a boy-only trip.. :( I'm sorry 80, I'll get you some more attention soon, promise. :o

find some time to swing by this week. we can fix the hitch on the taco. Wouldn't want you to have to pass up the opportunity to have the whole fam there.

rover67
07-19-2010, 01:17 PM
so what actually causes the p0402 code to set? How does it sense excessive egr flow?

nakman
07-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Matt I bribed our club expert into coming over on Wednesday.. I'm going to hold off throwing the wallet at the issue until he's had a chance to diagnose. :bowdown: :robbie:

I did make some calls, here is Stevenson West's pricing (our RS price).

EGR Valve $147.02
EGR Check Valve $57.82
EGR Temp Sensor $170.42

Other Matt, the problem is that wiring is kind of buried, so takes an hour just to get to it. I wouldn't pull everything off just for that though, but if you're in there for some other reason, wrapping those wires is probably worth doing.

Tom, yeah that ladder is one of those things you trip over 363 days per year, but then a couple of times you're pretty glad you've got it. I was kneeling on that piece of wood to access the back of the engine, the "workbench" area is actually an FJ40 tailgate.. :hill:

Marco that would be sweet if you wanted to get to that bumper this week, it's been tough not having trailer capability on the truck, even if we end up rolling in the 80 this weekend after all. I'll give you a call, thanks! :beer2:

coax
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
You may have already done so, but worth checking the vaccum through-passage in the intake incase that clogged? Thats what caused my 401. I don't recall if that could also cause a 402.