PDA

View Full Version : Problems lining up input shaft

RockRunner
07-18-2010, 06:44 PM
What am I doing wrong:confused: I can get it lined up and partially in I think but am left with a 1.5" gap. I tried rocking, turning the crank with no luck.

Any help is appreciated:o

gahi
07-18-2010, 06:50 PM
did you use a clutch alignment tool? 1.5" sounds like your missing the pilot bearing.

RockRunner
07-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Yes, it was all lined up. Puled it out when the transmission was just about ready to be pushed into place.

I think with all the moving around I may have dislodged the pilot bearing. We heard something clink when trying to get it in place.

gahi
07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
I've never pulled a pilot bearing out when messing with the tranny, usually a pretty tight fit. Maybe though. Did the clutch plate slip down. You could loosen the whole clutch and do it that way. Thats how I do it if I dont have an alignment tool.

RockRunner
07-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Time away is always the the best fix. Got it finally, was stuck on the header ever so slightly.:(

74fj40
07-18-2010, 08:44 PM
when you get it as close as you can, line it up, thread in the bolts as much as possible, and try pressing in the clutch pedal. should do the trick...

RicardoJM
07-18-2010, 08:46 PM
1.5" is a good size gap, about what it would be if you were not getting the input shaft into the pilot bearing. The alignment of transmission and engine (including the angle) have to be correct. If the alignment is off just a bit, it will be very difficult to get them mated up.

With the Bronco, TheBoomBoom and I really were having a difficult time lining things up. We went to the hardware store and picked up some long carriage bolts of the correct thread pitch and size - then sawed off the head. We used these a guides to line things up. It really helped as it pointed out where our angle was off. I didn't need guides when putting the transmission into the FJ40 last month, probably because we had jack on the bottom and hoist on top so it was easier to get the angle correct.

RicardoJM
07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Time away is always the the best fix. Got it finally, was stuck on the header ever so slightly.:(

Congrats:D. How do the new gears feel?

farnhamstj
07-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Did you talk dirty to it?

RockRunner
07-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Congrats:D. How do the new gears feel?

Not that far yet, need to do all the little things still like oil and starter etc.no time tomorrow since I have a double header softball game. Will have to do it all on Tuesday and have a shake down run Wednesday. Then behind the camper on Thursday and off to Durango for Black Bear pass and Engineer pass I think.:D

Great place to test a new clutch and gears:rolleyes:

Ricardo do you have any time on Tuesday to give me a hand and look over my shoulder?:o I am thinking I am a little behind. LMK if you can, if not don't worry about it.

RockRunner
07-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Did you talk dirty to it?

Sure did;) Slid right in after that :rolleyes::D Getting that last nut in took a little more convincing so I had to up my game:lmao:

RicardoJM
07-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Ricardo do you have any time on Tuesday to give me a hand and look over my shoulder?:o I am thinking I am a little behind. LMK if you can, if not don't worry about it.

I can swing by after work about 5:30.

RockRunner
07-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Sounds good, don't you want to eat first? We can make it a little later I am fine with that. I am hoping to get something done tonight but not sure. If we did not have softball and I had to be there I would blow it off.

Anyway 6-6:30 is fine don't rush and eat something first.

RicardoJM
07-19-2010, 08:08 AM
That works fine. Either way, I'll get dinner - just looking at me you should know I'm a man who does not skip meals.:D

RockRunner
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
That works fine. Either way, I'll get dinner - just looking at me you should know I'm a man who does not skip meals.:D

That just shows you are a man who enjoys life :thumb: