PDA

View Full Version : doing schofield sometime the week of 8/1 who is in?

barbarosa
07-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I am a IH8Mud guy... posted this..

I have not done that pass yet. looking to take the 3 teenagers and my lady up the Crested Butte side over to Marble and back the Keebler pass. Sometime the week of 8/1.

we will be camping in the Taylor pass area that week with my 94 T-80. Stock with OEM lockers and 285 tyres.

I have gone up and down a handful of times the Kelly Flats 4x4 and Heart Attack Hill both directions.

Any one interested in going along? PM me. Would rather be in a group of 1 or two other trucks... since I have not been on that trail personally yet.

Justin

BMWs-99 R1100S- 88 R100S (project) - Ducati-97 M750 - Kawasaki - 74 G4TR Trail Boss 100

Ajax1 may join us.. anyone else?

pmccumber
07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
You picked an absolutely STUNNING area! I would highly recommend parking and walking at least one mile up the West Maroon Trail. You'll only pick up about 250' of elevation but the flowers will be the best Colorado has to offer. Then get back in your truck and rumble up Schofield.

I think you can avoid the Punchbowl by doing Lead King which is just as pretty, if not prettier and still get over to Marble, down to Paonia Res and over Kebler.

Ron Helmuth
07-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Sunday 8/1 or during the weekdays?

I am always up for a run up that way. I have time off due to my unemployment.

Are you not wanting to do the punchbowl? Is an 80 too big for that section? Those teens could come in handy for spotting...

I typically do Aspen to Taylor Pass to the reservoir to Crested Butte via Jack's Cutoff and over to Marble via Gothic then Scholfield.

Are we sure all snow is cleared out?

ttubb
07-26-2010, 06:13 AM
Sunday 8/1 or during the weekdays?

I am always up for a run up that way. I have time off due to my unemployment.

Are you not wanting to do the punchbowl? Is an 80 too big for that section? Those teens could come in handy for spotting...

I typically do Aspen to Taylor Pass to the reservoir to Crested Butte via Jack's Cutoff and over to Marble via Gothic then Scholfield.

Are we sure all snow is cleared out?

The snow is cleared on this route and, yes an 80 will do Devil's Punchbowl. TT

ttubb
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM
The bridge to Aspen from Pearl Pass will be closed 7/30 to 8/1. Just an fyi in case you are going that way. T

84cruzer
08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Pics?????

Ron Helmuth
08-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I did not venture that far west as no one ever confirmed-there were washouts near Marble and Redstone.

Here are some shots from years previous trips....

First pic is the descent into Taylor Creek from Taylor Pass.

2nd shot is snow on July 4th at Schofield Pass junction.

Last pic is the actual Punchbowl from a few years back. Road is at top right and as usual photos just do not do justice to the terrain.

84cruzer
08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
The creek crossing on Taylor always looks so ominous. Never driven paradise divide. That Jacob's Ladder section of Schofield will get your attention.... for sure.:eek: