PDA

View Full Version : Tesla Test Drive

CBone
07-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Earlier this year I won a 24 hour test drive in a Tesla Roadster, the high-performance all-electric sports car. Yesterday was my day and let's just say, it went FAST.

The car does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and when you hit that pedal, it will definitely throw you back. Since it's electric, there is absolutely no sound, which makes things interesting.

The Tesla site says the car has a 245 mile range. I think they need to add in fine print, or not so fine print, if you drive it slow, conservatively and like an 80 year old on her way to church you'll get that range. The club will be pleased to know I went through an entire charge in about 3 hours.

The good part of that statement is I had a heck of a lot of fun, the bad part is there was a long list of friends for riding shotgun that didn't get the drive by, but I had to get the car back up to Boulder in the early afternoon or risk running out of battery power.

The test drive was a blast, and the car is really fun to drive. It sits so low to the ground that you feel like you're getting into a kayak. After hitting a pot hole, I went to the ARB site, couldn't find an Old Man Emu suspension kit for it, so I opted to leave it up in Boulder at the dealership--that and the fact that I had no desire to write a check for about $100,000+.

RockRunner
07-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Way cool, so do you get a little more drive time today? Or is the 24 hours up? :(

It does look good in front of your house, I presume, maybe this could be a midlife crisis car and you would be saving the earth.:rolleyes: You would be doing it very fast and silently to boot, I think it is perfect for you.:cool:

FJBRADY
07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Very cool looks like you had fun!

RicardoJM
07-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Very cool, that is a bummer about the run time. Nonetheless, it must have been a great experience:D.

Dr. Schlegs
07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Very Cool Carlton. One more thing you can scratch off your bucket list.

hyperboarder
07-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Saw one running around Fort Collins a while back. He saw me gawking and stomped on it, it was weird to see him zip away with no noise.

Hulk
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
So cool. :drool: Thanks for sharing, Carlton.

nattybumppo
07-21-2010, 02:12 PM
"maybe this could be a midlife crisis car and you would be saving the earth.:rolleyes:"

Building and driving those things is way worse for the environment than buying and driving an old 40 or 60. Carbon footprint you know. Besides, how will it do going up to Bill Moore Lake?

treerootCO
07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
...and the fact that I had no desire to write a check for about $100,000+.

Does the $100,000+ include the $42,083 tax rebate?

CBone
07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
after incentives, the price is a mere $101,500. If you're a drive it for three years and move on type of guy, you can lease it for $1658 a month.

can't speak to Sasha's comment about the environmental impact of making a Tesla.

I can tell you that after the Tesla, getting back into my DD 4Runner was a bizarre experience. You're so adjusted to the speed, and instant super speed acceleration that you think you're standing still when you're driving your regular rig and of course, it feels like your miles up in the air.