PDA

View Full Version : genuine tranny filters - wow

Beater
07-22-2010, 08:58 PM
ok, so usually I am not stuck on OEM stuff. I just have to say that about 6-7 months ago, I put more of a real filter on my t100.

Boy, did that suck.

The OEM filter isn't really a filter, more like a baffle. Consequently, the increased filtration was actually starving the fluid due to the increased flow resistance.

Put the stocker back on, and it shifts like new, and no more slippage.

But no filter? Really? Not even a screen? I guess aisin knows what they're doing.

Bikeman
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
The 80's tranny has no filter, either.

thefatkid
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
If you look through the pickup hole you will see a fine metal mesh, that is your filter. They are lifetime units, if they are plugged you have bigger issues then a filter. You both have the same family of transmission (a340f and the a343).

Beater
07-22-2010, 10:19 PM
right. I am no stranger to tranny's or filters. I wouldn't consider what is in the factory filter a fine metal mesh. It's gap is bigger than the screen on my window at the house. That's all I am sayin..

SteveH
07-23-2010, 12:03 PM
My locally tranny shop told me that foreign vehicles use roller bearings in the torque converter, whereas some/older domestic vehicles use bushings. The bushings shed metal that must be caught in a real filter, whereas roller bearings don't degrade in a way that sheds metal (unless they're seriously fragged). Hence - a coarse screen is all it takes to filter such a transmission design. He also opined that 'without domestic transmissions, I'd have to close my shop' - he said he almost never sees a Toyota in for a rebuild. I notice that premium torque converters often mention that they have roller bearings, in contrast to the cheaper OEM design.

corsair23
07-23-2010, 02:35 PM
My guess is the magnets in the bottom of the AT pan pick do a fine job of picking up the small stuff...At least they seemed to based on the stuff I found stuck to them when I replaced my AT pan on the LX and swapped the magnets over to the new pan. 120K+ miles on the rig and the pan had never been dropped before thus the "filter" had never been replaced/flushed either.