PDA

View Full Version : 80 series spring install question

Corbet
07-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I hear there is a trick to installing the springs with no tools? But have not found it yet searching on MUD. Someone key me in. 2.5" Irom Man springs on my garage floor.

Romer
07-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I hear there is a trick to installing the springs with no tools? But have not found it yet searching on MUD. Someone key me in. 2.5" Irom Man springs on my garage floor.

No tools huh. I guess that rules out using a jack

Corbet
07-25-2010, 05:10 PM
OK, I mean without the use of the use of a spring compressor or similar tool

Bikeman
07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
No, not without tools. The springs are captive from thwe swaybars and shocks.

Disconnect lower shock mount, swaybar, remove wheel, jack up frame, let axle droop, pull spring out. I can do it 10-15 minutes per corner. You might have to let the brake line brackets give the lines some slack. I would never use a spring compressor on the 80's.

Tch2fly
07-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I only disconnect the shocks. I then put the factory bottle jack between the axle and the frame ... crank it enough to remove the spring and repeat for each corner. As Bikeman said be careful not to stretch the brake lines

Corbet
07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
OK, thanks, that is what I was looking for. Now I just have to wait a week until I have the time to install the lift

Dr. Schlegs
07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
You will likely need new shocks and you will need to extend the Brake Lines and Breather hoses. Then the Axle "drops" it puts a lot of strain on the stock brake lines. Are you replacing the Casters on the control arms?

Romer
07-25-2010, 07:28 PM
You will likely need new shocks and you will need to extend the Brake Lines and Breather hoses. Then the Axle "drops" it puts a lot of strain on the stock brake lines. Are you replacing the Casters on the control arms?

This is not correct for a 2.5" lift

Dr. Schlegs
07-25-2010, 07:39 PM
I have a 3 inch front and a 2.5 rear lift. I replaced the brake lines and breather so the brake line don't snap when wheeling. Caster correction and new shocks came with the OME kit from Man-A-Fre.

Romer
07-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I have a 3 inch front and a 2.5 rear lift. I replaced the brake lines and breather so the brake line don't snap when wheeling. Caster correction and new shocks came with the OME kit from Man-A-Fre.

OME kits come with OME shocks and castor bushings.

I did not extend my brake lines till I went to J (4") springs and 35" tires

Many run 2.5" medium springs with stock, even new Toyota Shocks. Getting larger than that tends to require L shocks or changing shock mounts and going to bilstiens.

Although I wouldn't recommend it, many will do a 2.5" lift without doing castor correction

Extending the breather hoses has nothing to do with a lift. You extend the hoses for doing water crossings, most move the breather valve from the lower part of the engine area to up around the dip stick.

Romer
07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Kevin, to be clear. I agree with your recommendation on Castor correction and shocks. I Bet Corbet bought a kit so hopefully that all came with it

Extending Brake lines is a good idea and Extending Diff Breathers and the tranny/tcase breathers is a good idea so you don't suck water into your junk, not related to a 2.5" lift. Course you do put more "POWER" into your offroading than most so you might have a different perspective :D

Long day, so my other post may have come off to harsh. :cheers:

Dr. Schlegs
07-25-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm just trying to offer the lad info so he don't break on the trail. I like to call it midwest wheeling - but I am learning the finer art of "crawling." I have ARB lockers on my to do list you know. Hulk informs me these will add to the appearance of finesse. No blood not foul, we all have days like that once and a while.

Corbet
07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes, I aquired a complete kit including the steering dampner, caster correction bushings, shocks, as well as the springs.

I did not mention the others as I did not have any questions regarding their installation ;)

I will address brake lines and the such after installing the lift if needed.

I'm really looking forward to getting this installed. My front axle currently sits less than 1" off the bumpstops at rest, about 2" on the rear. Makes for an unpleasant ride around town. The springs I got are rated for an extra 242lbs front and 660lbs rear over stock. Given the extra weight on my truck I feel this will bring me back closer to stock ride quality with some extra clearance.

Nay
07-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Back to the original question, I just use a 4' breaker bar to get the spring over the lip and then kick it into place.

It saves you a ton of time trying to get that last inch of droop if you need it. A long crowbar can work as well.

Spring compressors are an incredible waste of time for the remote chance you may kill yourself wasting that time :hill:

Dr. Schlegs
07-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Corbet - When Ige and I did my lift - she pulled out the cherry picker and lifted each corner individually. Never took a tire off - it was slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

corsair23
07-26-2010, 12:59 AM
The springs I got are rated for an extra 242lbs front and 660lbs rear over stock. Given the extra weight on my truck I feel this will bring me back closer to stock ride quality with some extra clearance.

Corbet...I can't remember what all you have hanging off the front, and rear, or your truck but hopefully you have an ARB/Slee bumper and winch up front and rear bumper and lots of weight in the back to bring that sucker down :)

Is the Ironman lift similar to OME in that you get X amount of lift based on loading up the springs as suggested? Just asking 'cuz when I installed the OME heavy lift I got a fair bit more than the 2.5" because I wasn't at the recommended weight rating of the springs yet.

Corbet
07-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Corbet...I can't remember what all you have hanging off the front, and rear, or your truck but hopefully you have an ARB/Slee bumper and winch up front and rear bumper and lots of weight in the back to bring that sucker down :)

Is the Ironman lift similar to OME in that you get X amount of lift based on loading up the springs as suggested? Just asking 'cuz when I installed the OME heavy lift I got a fair bit more than the 2.5" because I wasn't at the recommended weight rating of the springs yet.

I'm missing the rear bumper for now but hopefully by spring no longer. I. regularly exceed 6000lbs, daily driving, on the scale so I think I have the weight for these springs. I packed as light as possible for CM10 and weighed in at 6680 as I left town. I basically brought my backpacking equipment for the most part. When I add the rest of the family I figure 7000+ is just around the corner.

Yes, the Iron Man lifts are like OME in that you should get x amount of lift based on weight of your truck. I figure I will net 3" due to how much my OEM springs are sagging.

Corbet
08-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Springs are in but looks like I need to swap them right to left. I'm leaning towars the drivers side about 1"

Before & After shots

Corbet
08-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Need to pick up a pickel fork tomorrow to install the steering dampener and then deal with this lower rear shock mount. PO had new rear shocks istalled at one time. Mechanic must have lost the OEM bolt and the one he replaced it with was not up to spec.:doh: Wife always asks me why I hate having other people work on my truck. This is a perfect example.

I plan a full write up and review to follow on MUD once completed. Eli from Camel 4x4 requested so as this is the kit that was raffled at CM10.

farnhamstj
08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Looking good Corbet

FJBRADY
08-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Looks good and I see all of the snow has melted!

corsair23
08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Looks like a totally different rig :thumb:

Let us know how those adjuster caster correction bushings work out!

Corbet
08-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Here is the MUD write up on the lift:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/406949-iron-man-2-lift-install-impressions.html

Adjustable caster bushings. I had my mechanic install them. The idea of crawling under my truck while on jackstands on a gravel driveway did not appeal to me. He said they went in pretty easy. Lining up the grooves a little tricky though. Old were a PITA to remove. Truck now drives as she should.

Pic of bushings showing the 3 different positions.

Hulk
08-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Your truck is looking really good, Corbet!

corsair23
09-08-2010, 02:33 PM
So Corbet...

How did the lift do last weekend? Based on one of the pictures I saw you have some nice flex :thumb:

subzali
09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Did you end up using the pickle fork? Uncle Ben turned me on to the tie rod end puller, I'll never go back :thumb:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DFItWyhaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Corbet
09-08-2010, 06:20 PM
So Corbet...

How did the lift do last weekend? Based on one of the pictures I saw you have some nice flex :thumb:

Lift did great. I'm very happy with it.

Did you end up using the pickle fork? Uncle Ben turned me on to the tie rod end puller, I'll never go back :thumb:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DFItWyhaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That was my first choice of tool but could not locate one in Durango that was not made in China. So I used a pickle fork + BFH. Worked fine as I did not need to reuse the OEM stuff after removal. The puller would have been much better if that was not the case. I will be casually looking for a quality one for the tool box.

Corbet
10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Put the new tires on this week. 315/75r16 Goodyear Duratrac with studs for the winter. Next spring I shop for some summer wheeling tires. The Duratrac's so far have not been much louder than my old Nitto TG's around town even despite the studs. I don't see more than 50MPH daily so it will be a few weeks before I know how loud they are on the HWY.

I did notice that the side walls seemed very thin. My tire installer made the same comment when mounting them too. Thin enough that I might 2nd think wheeling them if that was what I bought them for. But for me just winter tires so I'm not worried about it.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Nice.....