PDA

View Full Version : 40 Series Windshield R&R

PabloCruise
07-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Any great resources out there (w/ pics)?

Someone kindly broke the windshield in my 40 on a Friday night/Saturday morning a few weeks back.

I know it is rumored to be ridiculously easy, but I started to remove the old windscreeen and I am just cracking the heck out of it. This is not instilling the confidence needed to install a new piece of glass...

Any tips or tricks I should know about using the rope trick to install a 40 windshield?

TIA,

timmbuck2
07-26-2010, 02:18 PM
anyone up for a windshield replacing party? I could host at my place, get a few guys who need a new 40 windshield, and bribe a couple of experts to come over and school us newbs. I would offer up beer and BBQ...

Bruiser
07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't need my windshield replaced but would come over, watch, learn and talk shop.

RicardoJM
07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
anyone up for a windshield replacing party? I could host at my place, get a few guys who need a new 40 windshield, and bribe a couple of experts to come over and school us newbs. I would offer up beer and BBQ...

That would be cool.

I ran around with a cracked and pitted windshield for too long as I had read the threads about getting glass cut for $50 and DIY install. I gave it a bunch thought and research and in the end took it to the glass shop. Bottom line, I could not find the glass anywhere for less that $100 - coupled with an OEM gasket ($30) and the DIY path quickly approached the $150 or so a glass shop would charge. It is one of those things that once it was done, I couldn't rationalize why I let it go undone for so long.:D

nuclearlemon
07-26-2010, 05:30 PM
not that bad, but need at least two people. silicone spray on the gasket helps out also. aftermarket gaskets that don't have the bends preformed make it much more difficult

TonkaToy
07-26-2010, 11:25 PM
I have a good friend in the auto glass industry. I could see what price I can get on the cut glass, if anyone else is interested.

Hulk
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Different model years have slightly different sized glass. It is not one size fits all.

nattybumppo
07-27-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm in!

Rzeppa
07-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Any great resources out there (w/ pics)?

Someone kindly broke the windshield in my 40 on a Friday night/Saturday morning a few weeks back.

I know it is rumored to be ridiculously easy, but I started to remove the old windscreeen and I am just cracking the heck out of it. This is not instilling the confidence needed to install a new piece of glass...

Any tips or tricks I should know about using the rope trick to install a 40 windshield?

TIA,

Hi TJ,

I installed a new windshield in my 71 a couple years back. First one I ever did; I asked my buddies down at the auto body shop a few blocks from my house for advice, and they ended up helping out through the whole process. They didn't charge me, but I bought them a 12 pack anyway. It wasn't super-hard, but there are definitely tricks that they taught me that made it much easier.

I bought a new OEM windshield from Stevinson. The price was good, (~$100), but it turned out to be wrong application, just about an inch too wide. I took it to a local glass shop to get it cut down. Turns out there is a trick to that too, and after I saw how it is done I said "I could'a done that!".

If you have to cut the glass, you score it in the normal way you'd score any glass with a glass cutter. You have to score both sides (Safety glass is plastic sandwiched between glass on each side). Then you pour methanol on it and light it. This uniformly softens the plastic inside so the glass doesn't crack. Then using pliers, you break the glass where you scored it. Then smooth the edges with a belt sander.

On to the install itself:

I used a new OEM gasket. If you re-use your old gasket, obviously YMMV. Ige suggested silicone; the body shop guys use lots of glass cleaner as lubricant and it works great and leaves no residue. Yes, you MUST use the rope, and I was surprised at the large diameter needed. Around 1/4" IIRC. Use nylon rope (not sissel or PP) so it can deform and is smooth. You use it to pull the flap of gasket into the frame, it needs to go all the way around. I suppose you could do it by yourself, but two makes it SO easy. One on the inside pulling the rope and one on the outside positioning the glass/gasket assembly and pushing the glass/gasket into the frame. Once it is set, you will want to do some pushing from one side and the other to get the flanges of the gasket properly seats over the inside of the frame. Again, LOTS of glass cleaner as lubricant.

Your 78 does not have the locking strip my 71 does, so I won't go into the details of that part of the install.

You can do it! Take pictures and submit to Toyota Trails! Good luck and happy cruisin'!

60wag
07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I've always wanted to install a windshield using the rope but never had guts to pay for a piece of glass and cross my fingers.... glass coverage on the insurance to pay for the install doesn't help either. I like Jeff's description. Go for it. What's the worst that could happen, you have to buy another piece of glass. Taking on an engine rebuild is a way more expensive risk than a windshield.

timmbuck2
07-28-2010, 10:02 AM
...Take pictures and submit to Toyota Trails!

great idea, definitely could be a cool little article , the windshield replacement party. :)

PabloCruise
07-28-2010, 04:32 PM
I did not think of article submission! That could be fun!

It sounds like you all will have a fun party. The chances of me driving the 40 down from the Fort with a broken windshield for that would be small...

I pulled my old glass last night. Once I got the bottom edge of the gasket over the metal edge it was ver easy to remove. I am amazed how strong the glass actually is. Someone must have really put their arm into it to put such a break on my windshield. Oh well!

I had a original Toyota piece out of a square 40 ('79 or 80) as a template. It is nice that is one thing Toyota did NOT change pre-'78 to '79 and later. I got a new piece of PPG cut for $100.

My orig gasket was pretty nice. I have heard that GOOP hand cleaner works wonders for restoring old rubber pieces, so I tested it out on my windshield washer motor cover gasket and it seemed to soften the piece up. So I slathered up the windshield gasket with Goop and then rinsed it, now it is around the new glass. I also found some Sil-Glyde at the parts store. I was debating about using that or glass cleaner to lube the opening. I will let you know what works!

I also think I have two tall people to help hold the windshield from the outside while I pull the rope.

Wish me luck!

PabloCruise
07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Just found a cool post on MUD about how to make cargo window gaskets for FJ55 for $50.

A glass tech is writing the post and says to avoid silicone based lubes:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society/395348-cargo-window-gasket-option.html#post5661439

60wag
07-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Take pictures for the TT article.

Rzeppa
07-28-2010, 07:57 PM
I had a original Toyota piece out of a square 40 ('79 or 80) as a template. It is nice that is one thing Toyota did NOT change pre-'78 to '79 and later. I got a new piece of PPG cut for $100.

That's cool! I will file that one off the the memory banks: One little thing that DIDN'T change on 40 bodies from 78 to 79-up. Suggestion (if you haven't already done this yet), lay the new glass up to either old glass (if it's intact enough) or the frame opening to verify the dimensions and radiuses.

My orig gasket was pretty nice.

That's pretty rare in my experience. Awesome score!

I have heard that GOOP hand cleaner works wonders for restoring old rubber pieces, so I tested it out on my windshield washer motor cover gasket and it seemed to soften the piece up. So I slathered up the windshield gasket with Goop and then rinsed it, now it is around the new glass.

Another one file file off into the mental archives. Thanks TJ! Have you heard whether GoJo or Fast Orange works similarly?

I also think I have two tall people to help hold the windshield from the outside while I pull the rope.

Highly recommended, as I wrote above. I can sorta see how you could do it solo, but when I did mine the advantages of outside plus inside were pretty obvious.

Wish me luck!

Best of luck and I'm sure you'll let us know how it turns out. Please be aware that anything for Toyota Trails has to be exclusive and not publicly available on the web or other publications. It is fine to post it in our member's only section, but if an article or specific images end up on the public web or any other publication, it can't be featured in Toyota Trails.

If it does get published, it will then be available at tlca.org, either as a teaser for everyone, or in it's entirety for members. I visited tlca.org (brought to you by Rising Sun and TLCA webmaster Matt Farr AKA "Hulk" here) this evening and renewed my membership and bought some shirts. I have to say Matt has done an outstanding job!

While I lingered, I read a couple of stories from Toyota Trails, downloaded the latest version in PDF format, and enjoyed some of the web-only stories for members only.

Glass cleaner, lots of glass cleaner :)

Rzeppa
07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi TJ, I forgot to mention that if your article does get published, you will get a payment for it.

Rzeppa
07-28-2010, 08:09 PM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society/395348-cargo-window-gasket-option.html#post5661439

Yep, that's pretty much what worked for me. I left out a couple of details that weren't a problem for me, such as leaving enough rope out to grab onto :homer: and not smacking the glass while wearing a ring on the smack hand :homer:.

I don't remember if we used tape to help hold the gasket onto the windshield glass, but it seems like one of those things that you figure out if you need it as you go along.

PabloCruise
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Take pictures for the TT article.

Unfortunately, time was not on my side last night, I did not get pictures.

My #1 priority was getting the glass in. I asked Leanne to take pics, but our little guy was melting down after a hard day of playing, and she couldn't find the camera. I know, I know, :blah: :blah: :blah:

Once I had both neighbors who were willing to help standing by the Cruiser I went for it and abandoned hope of documenting the process.

The good news for those of you planning the replacement party is that this was easier than falling off a log. I think the guys holding the glass in place had a harder job than me. I grabbed the rope (1/8th inch nylon - sold as # mason line) and let 'er rip! When I got to the top on one side I noticed it got a little snug to pull out, so I went back to the other end of the rope waiting for me in the middle of the bottom of the windshield. I ran that up to the top of the other side. I then had my helpers pus the glass down a little in the rubber and worked the top in place!

Very easy and high sense of accomplishment!

A quick test drive last night and I was amazed at how nice and clear the view was vs. my old ratty previous view. I highly recommnd replacing yours if it is getting pitted. Don't forget to replace windshield wipers anytime you put in new glass.

PabloCruise
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
That's cool! I will file that one off the the memory banks: One little thing that DIDN'T change on 40 bodies from 78 to 79-up. Suggestion (if you haven't already done this yet), lay the new glass up to either old glass (if it's intact enough) or the frame opening to verify the dimensions and radiuses.

Another one file file off into the mental archives. Thanks TJ! Have you heard whether GoJo or Fast Orange works similarly?

Best of luck and I'm sure you'll let us know how it turns out. Please be aware that anything for Toyota Trails has to be exclusive and not publicly available on the web or other publications. It is fine to post it in our member's only section, but if an article or specific images end up on the public web or any other publication, it can't be featured in Toyota Trails.

If it does get published, it will then be available at tlca.org, either as a teaser for everyone, or in it's entirety for members. I visited tlca.org (brought to you by Rising Sun and TLCA webmaster Matt Farr AKA "Hulk" here) this evening and renewed my membership and bought some shirts. I have to say Matt has done an outstanding job!

While I lingered, I read a couple of stories from Toyota Trails, downloaded the latest version in PDF format, and enjoyed some of the web-only stories for members only.

Glass cleaner, lots of glass cleaner :)

Thanks for all the help Jeff! I did verify my old glass to the new piece and it was a great match. Interestingly enough, my old glass had no lettering or identification of any kind on it.

I do not know about GoJo or Fast Orange. I do know the first ingredient in the Goop is isoparafins.

I was aware of the requirement that anything for publication cannot appear on line before publication in the Trails.

PS: I did not use any glass cleaner, I went dry. The glass practically installed itself.

PabloCruise
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi TJ, I forgot to mention that if your article does get published, you will get a payment for it.

The good news is I think I can mock this process up on another 40 and get pics of that.

I would like to do an article for the Trails!

subzali
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
TJ, what windshield wipers did you use that fit on the OEM FJ40 wiper arms? Jeep ones are too small....

Great job BTW! :thumb:

PabloCruise
07-29-2010, 02:09 PM
TJ, what windshield wipers did you use that fit on the OEM FJ40 wiper arms? Jeep ones are too small....

Great job BTW! :thumb:

I just source the replacement listing at NAPA, I think it is an 11" blade...

Rzeppa
07-29-2010, 03:14 PM
I just source the replacement listing at NAPA, I think it is an 11" blade...

That is correct. For some reason, Carquest and Checker both list 12", which is too long. Plus neither of them stock the blade with the correct mounting clip.

timmbuck2
07-29-2010, 03:16 PM
The good news is I think I can mock this process up on another 40 and get pics of that.

I would like to do an article for the Trails!

so you will be one of our experts for the "party"? you get extra beer and BBQ. :)

probably should plan this for fall? summer seems pretty busy for most people right now...

PabloCruise
08-02-2010, 12:48 PM
so you will be one of our experts for the "party"? you get extra beer and BBQ. :)

probably should plan this for fall? summer seems pretty busy for most people right now...

Put me down as a definite maybe!

Let me know what dates you pick in the fall.

SteveH
08-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Reviving this thread - to remove an intact windshield (for repainting) - do you remove it from the inside-out, or the outside in?

I'm going to peel up the gasket and push the glass and gasket out of the frame together, but I'm not sure which side to go from. Logic would tell you to do it from the inside out, but I wanted to see what others have done.

Thanks!

Thanks - Steve

Rzeppa
08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Reviving this thread - to remove an intact windshield (for repainting) - do you remove it from the inside-out, or the outside in?

I'm going to peel up the gasket and push the glass and gasket out of the frame together, but I'm not sure which side to go from. Logic would tell you to do it from the inside out, but I wanted to see what others have done.

Thanks!

Thanks - Steve

Never done that (removal of good glass including worrying about keeping it good), but I would guess removal is opposite of install. IOW, glass goes outward along with gasket, as you wrote.

wesintl
08-25-2010, 10:32 AM
x2- I think it would be real hard or next to impossible without breaking the glass to pull the gasket inside since it's way thicker on the outside

PabloCruise
08-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I removed my glass by pushing from the inside to the outside, however the glass was in much worse shape when I was done with the removal! :eek:

SteveH
08-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks all! I realize I may break it, but the WS has only one tiny chip, so I'd rather not.

I'm using the most high-tech glass tools - plastic bicycle tire-levers and screwdrivers. The gasket flexes (during removal attempts) about as easily on one side as the other.

PabloCruise
08-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Plastic tire levers sound like the bomb!

I started on the bottom on mine, but like I say, it did not yield great results.

SteveH
08-26-2010, 07:06 AM
I ended up going from the inside, using tire levers and screwdrivers. It took me 20 min, but I got it out by myself, unbroken.

The tire levers work really well and don't hack the paint on the frame.

Thanks again for your suggestions