PDA

View Full Version : Lift Kits

yotarunner84
07-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey I just got a 84 4runner about a week ago and the lift the owner put on seems kind of sketch to me. It's a 4 inch shackle lift with stock leaf springs. I want to replace it but don't wanna spend alot of money on suspension parts. If anyone has or knows of or where to get a good cheap lift or advice of what to do it would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks everyone
Tony

coax
07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Not much experience w/ leafs, but a 4" shackle lift sounds super sketchy to me. Maybe someone on the forum has some springs to sell, or you could look at an add-a-leaf?

TIMZTOY
07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
his truck is actually sitting in my driveway, as i work on it.. i pulled the head off friday morning. and concluded that him buying a used motor is faster and more cost effective right now and then rebuild the old motor were pulling out.

he actually has stock springs inthe front, with about 4-6" shackels in the front with the springs at negative arch about 2" sitting static.. and the rear is at flat arch or no arch, with 12-14" homeade shackels in the rear :eek: super scarry.. even if someone had a pare of stock springs laying around that we could slap on there to get rid of the negative arch, that would be apriceated

tony place a new post in the forsale section

TonkaToy
07-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I bought a used lift kit on Craig's list for my FJ40, from a memeber in here, as it turns out. You may want to check that out or check with the Yota Yard for a used set. I would sooo not be driving it like it is!

MDH33
07-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Marlin Kit (http://www.marlincrawler.com/suspension/full-kits/trail-flex-kit-hilux-1979-85)

Air Randy
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM
The least expensive solution that gives you a pretty good off road suspension is to take the rear stock springs and move them to the front of the vehicle. This will also move the front axle forward 2" to help larger tires clear the firewall, but be sure and check the engagement of the driveshaft splines afterwards.

Then go to a junk yard and get a set of rear leaf springs out of a late 80's to early 90's chevy 1/2 ton pickup. Install those in the rear. You will have to relocate the spring hanger a few inches forward on the frame.

At that point the 4" shackles may be OK as long as the springs do not have negative arch. If the suspension is too high you can shorten the shackles by cutting them off and drilling new holes.

RLMS
07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a set of aftermarket fronts we just pulled off, they had about an inch of lift in them still!!
75$

Justin

BreckBJ44
07-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm sold on Alcan. Not the cheapest, but great customer service!

K

AxleIke
07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Sigh...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for. If you want a cheap solution, you will get cheap results.

Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to pay 300 bucks for a perfect suspension.

Marlin's kit is bomber, but it requires a lot of work, welding, etc...

IMO, marlin's is the min if you want a reliable DD/Weekend warrior.

Best advice/Cheapest advice: return it to stock, and wheel it. Wasting money on crappy suspension components that you will replace later due to garbage performance is pointless.

Just my .02.

yotarunner84
07-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Alright, alright good advice but if marlin is the min what would you rec. putting on if I wanted better than marlin

Caribou Sandstorm
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Maybe someone will have some stuff for cheap at the Rally?