PDA

View Full Version : Considering moving to Colorado

jason04
07-28-2010, 11:01 PM
My wife and I are thinking of moving to the Denver area.

Having only been to Denver a handfull of times I'll need some help/advise on where to look for a place to rent.

A neighborhood setting would be best as we recently had our first child and are not looking for a night life or the like. Something safe and not to busy.

TIA,

Jason Dahl

corsair23
07-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Welcome Jason :thumb:

We've had quite a few people ask that very question in the recent past so I thought this links might help...The second one has some pretty good info/suggestions.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1194

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5945

A big consideration in picking an area is where you'll be working...Unless you don't mind potentially long commutes.

jason04
07-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Second link was helpful, thanks.

Our only kid is 3 months old so “the right school district” doesn’t play an enormous factor right off the bat. I’d rather have kidney stones and the swine flu then be stuck in traffic. I’ll be working in and around the Denver area… How’s the commute from Littleton and/or Golden?

corsair23
07-29-2010, 01:38 AM
I’ll be working in and around the Denver area… How’s the commute from Littleton and/or Golden?

Well...That depends on which way you are going on your commute and where at in Denver you'll be working. Not much of an answer I know but it really does depend.

Some people live on the south end of town and commute North into Denver via the Light Rail. Littleton itself extends from the Southwest side of the metro area into the Southeast side so even different parts of Littleton will affect the commute. Of course in some places Denver extends pretty far south so the commute could be short. If you have to get into downtown during rush hour you could be looking at 30mins on a good day, an hour on a semi bad day, to OMG what have I done on a day with bad snow :hill:.

From Golden you are pretty limited on major routes into Denver, those being 6th Ave or I70 and as you can imagine, those routes get slammed. Golden is a nice little town and in a nice locale (not to mention Slee Off Road is in Golden :D) but I'd be looking for work on the West side if I lived there.

I've typically found that it is better to live to the East of where you work if you can as your morning commute will be away from the rising sun and away from the setting sun. Also, the traffic just generally tends to seem to be less going in these directions in certain areas.

If you have a flexible work schedule and can go in earlier/later (like before 7am or after 9am) and come home earlier/later (say by 4pm or after 6pm) then a lot of times you can avoid the worse part of the rush hour traffic.

20 years ago I lived on the south side of the metro area in Littleton and communted to the far north part of Denver (58th and I25) and the commute would typically take me 30-45 mins even in rush hour traffic. Now I bet that drive is easily close to 90 mins in rush hour traffic.

pmccumber
07-29-2010, 08:26 AM
If I had it to do over again, I would have picked the Louisville area. Still Boulder Valley Schools, and some of the best of them at that. The BVSD schools trounce, and it isn't close, every other district. The standardized testing places BVSD very much ahead of every other district, including our district (Saint Vrain which is one of the better ones too). US News placed 11 Colorado high schools in the top 1000 and 7 of them were Boulder County schools. Now if you can get your kids into Cherry Creek schools, that might be even better but BVSD is a big, universally strong district.

The work situation in Boulder, Broomfield and the north side is better for high tech than anywhere in the metro. You can get over to the north side of Aurora where there is some big defense type gigs (Raytheon, Northrup) fairly easy without having to live anywhere in between. Getting downtown is doable. The only place that is off the table is the Tech Center on the south end.

The quality of life is very high. Lots of open space and educated people. The "Dumb Sh*t Factor", what I call that dumb look you get all the time in a lot of cities when dealing with the public, is almost non-existent.

Outside of that, old Golden is cool but very limited in choices. West Arvada is cool too. There are lots of areas to avoid here in the metro area. As with a lot of western cities, large swaths of the city are in some state of transformation into barrio. But everything people have said about Ken Caryl, Cherry Creek, Douglas County, etc. is true and they are nice places. Just I'm high tech and would have a harder time finding work.

My in-laws live in Centennial and Highlands Ranch and while they are certainly very nice places, they are very much suburbia. Every intersection is jammed with retail (Applebees, Starbucks, Chilis) and I've grown accustomed to the more homey look of Boulder Country.

CardinalFJ60
07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I live in Louisville and work in LoDo (lower downtown denver). The public transportation is really quite good (RTD); before we had kiddos I took the bus at least 4 days a week.

On a good commute...door to door in about 25-30min.... busier days can be closer to 40-45min. which is rare, but I hardly ever have bad enough traffic to make it longer than that.

Louisville is close to Boulder, which I like...and close enough to Denver so it's convenient.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi Jason,

Also it might be good to know what type of home and "neighboorhood feel" your wife and you prefer.

Colorado is fortunate to have diverse neighborhoods for many different needs.

For example:
I have lived in the Highlands Ranch area, which are newer homes and might lean toward newer families, as well. Great rec centers, etc.. Houses range from mid 200s up to million plus, Louisville/Lafayette is similar but basically on the opposite end of Denver from Highlands Ranch.

I know live in Denver in an area known as Observatory Park, which is basically I25 and University, near Washington Park.. This area is older homes that start in the high 300s and at that price they usually need some work. But the trade off is closer to Denver, bigger trees, etc.. The neighborhoods are also desirable by young families.

There is also the Evergreen/Conifer area, that have a mountain living feel.

Might also depend on where you will be working from.

Good luck on your search and welcome to Colorado!

jason04
07-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I will be working in the greater metro area. I will be working (potentially) for an auto warranty company contacting dealership within the Denver area.

We plan to rent for at least 6 months.

Beachboy
07-29-2010, 04:56 PM
We rented on the west side of town for 6 months while looking to see which neighborhood to live in. The apartments were Montrechet near Denver West, very nice but pricy - one car garage attached to the apartment. We ended up last year in Castle Rock, south of Denver, we do not live in "The Meadows" but a nice young family community. We also found out that the house prices were quite lower than Denver.