PDA

View Full Version : Post RS Rally 2010 Bill Moore Lake Sunday August 8th

Rzeppa
07-31-2010, 12:45 AM
This is one of the runs associated with the Rally the day after. It's an easy, scenic run that any stock Toyota 4x4 can do. There are a few interesting spots on the trail, and you definitely need 4x4, this is not Subaru grade. Get out of the heat of the flatlands and come up to timberline, enjoy the vista and have a nice walk around a pristine alpine lake!

The trail is a there and back again, starting and ending just above the town of Empire, which is just west of Idaho Springs on I-70. It's about 2 hours each way at a lazy pace, leaving plenty of time to lunch and hike around the lake. Kids, family and pets are welcome; of course pets must be leashed.

We will meet at the Burger King in Downieville at 9:00 and depart at 9:30. That will get us to the trailhead and air down around 10:00, which should get us to the lake in time for lunch and exploring. At this time of year, our high country wildflowers are so awesome! Back to I-70 by around 3:00; if traffic's heavy I know some side roads to get us past. As usual, cb channel 4, and if there is too much traffic on that channel we'll switch to 5. And as usual, my HAM is in my sandwich, anyone else with your HAM somewhere else you know what to do to talk smack behind our backs :)

Bring lunch, plenty of water, jackets (this is Colorado!), hiking gear, your camera, sunscreen, deet or long sleeves, and of course your camera! Happy cruisin'!

Bruiser
08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Jeff, just thought I would let you know that my wife and I plan to attend.

Justin

SRT08BUS
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I'll be trying to do this one again, I have the day off but that rarely goes as planned.

TonkaToy
08-05-2010, 09:45 AM
My kids and wife are flaking on me but I will be there too.

corsair23
08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Jeff,

Right now I'm planning on attending with two kiddos in tow :thumb: - Looking forward to a nice easy run and just getting out into the mountains

RicardoJM
08-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Jeff,

Right now I'm planning on attending with two kiddos in tow :thumb: - Looking forward to a nice easy run and just getting out into the mountains

Are you taking the FJ40?

corsair23
08-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Are you taking the FJ40?

No...not until I get the carb rebuilt/fixed. As it sits, it doesn't like higher elevations all that much :o - Hoping to finally tackle that nagging problem this winter.

TIMZTOY
08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
the wife and i should be attending..

Old40Dog
08-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Jeff, I'll be a passenger (Zach too) in my wife Idelle's 80!

Lookin' forward to kickin' back (:eek:) on this one! :lmao:

Rzeppa
08-07-2010, 12:01 AM
So that is six so far, seven including yours truly. We will have a great time! I was thinking we will head up at an easy pace, and maybe return a little faster. If we start out from the trail head around 10, we should get to the lake around noon, figure an hour or so to hike, explore, have lunch and then get back to pavement by around 3. The weather forecast is looks typical for what we have been seeing over the past week or so. Pretty hot down in the flatlands, nice up high where we will be. Chance of afternoon boom and crackers, which should pass quickly if we end up under one.

The Spring Creek group will be meeting at the same time and place Sunday morning at the Burger King in Downieville, so we will get a nice opportunity to socialize with them before we head off to our respective trailheads. They will probably be airing down there, but we won't as we will have a fair bit more pavement to drive before our trailhead.

Don't forget to bring your camera! The flowers have been especially beautiful this summer in the high country, and I have seen bighorn sheep up there by the lake before.

I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow at the Rally, and again on Sunday for our run!

Rezarf
08-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Jeff-

I am going to try to make this one. I am a strong maybe. But if I am not in Downieville by the scheduled meeting time, I will not be making it.

Hows that for double talk? :D

secretformula
08-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Well no OT for me on Sunday so the Mrs & I are finally gonna get to make it to our second Rising Sun function.:o

Bummed I missed today's meet for the second time, but I trust Nubies are welcome on this run? Well new to RS not wheelin...;)

SRT08BUS
08-07-2010, 06:32 PM
but I trust Nubies are welcome on this run? Well new to RS not wheelin...;)

Of course, this was my first run with the club and I was wanting to do something harder but I am really looking forward to hitting this again!!!!!
That is if I can make it on time or at all, I'll catch up if I'm late due to work.

Rzeppa
08-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Jeff-

I am going to try to make this one. I am a strong maybe. But if I am not in Downieville by the scheduled meeting time, I will not be making it.

What, are you running for office or something?

:lmao:

Rzeppa
08-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Well no OT for me on Sunday so the Mrs & I are finally gonna get to make it to our second Rising Sun function.:o

Bummed I missed today's meet for the second time, but I trust Nubies are welcome on this run? Well new to RS not wheelin...;)

Awesome! We'll look forward to seeing you!

On a bit of a bummer note, it looks like at least one, if not both of my planned passengers is bailing :(

SRT08BUS
08-08-2010, 07:48 AM
I'll be running late so I'll see everyone up on the trail, I'm not sure on what time but I'll be leaving strait from work.....again:mad:

SRT08BUS
08-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Jeff-

I'll be leaving Evergreen in 20 minutes if you wanna have a late starters convoy? EDIT: I'm leaving now.

SRT08BUS
08-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Guess where I am

Bruiser
08-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I would guess but since I was just there, it might be unfair.