PDA

View Full Version : financial software - yay or nay?

Beater
07-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Ok,
As most of you know - I am now on my own in my life. The spouse did all the banking - and I need to get everything fired up. We used quicken 2004 back when I had the side business, but never upgraded when that shut down.

My question? Is it really worth it? I need to upgrade to at least quicken 2007 to use the transaction download feature, Which I think I would find useful.

Who here uses quicken or the like or does anyone have a version of 2007 or newer they would (ahem) share?

art hog
07-31-2010, 10:53 AM
I use Quicken and quick book pro. I think they are a good tool, If set up correctly. I would share but I have 2006 and it is for a Mac. Excel is good Too.

corsair23
07-31-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm old school....I don't use anything special for home financial related stuff and I use Excel for all the club stuff.

I've used Quicken in the past but found that I spent more time getting everything setup than it was worth.

Beater
08-01-2010, 11:03 AM
discovered mint.com VERY good site. check it out

Hulk
08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
discovered mint.com VERY good site. check it out

Came here to say that. A guy that used to work here recommended it highly.

Red_Chili
08-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Quicken absolutely rocks IMHO. I didn't have much problem setting it up. The ex struggled with it endlessly. Most of the downloaded transactions auto-categorize and it remembers changes you made for next time.

Beater
08-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Quicken absolutely rocks IMHO. I didn't have much problem setting it up. The ex struggled with it endlessly. Most of the downloaded transactions auto-categorize and it remembers changes you made for next time.

mint makes quicken obsolete - and it's free. Quicken's sunset policy is worse than oracle's

corsair23
08-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I didn't have much problem setting it up. The ex struggled with it endlessly.

What 'ya trying to say there Chili :confused: :hill:

Red_Chili
08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Maybe. No password lockout, minimal password strength checking, little email verification, granting attorney - in - fact, Intuit can use financial data, Intuit stores your bank login info on their servers, etc. Working in IT in a HIPPA environment I am not a fan of distributed financials if I can help it. Seen too much. Some security will always fail and the more places you put info the more failure points you incur. IMHO. Source: www.jasonowens.com/mint-com-in-2010-is-it-safe

Red_Chili
08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
:confused:What 'ya trying to say there Chili :confused: :hill:

I had no problem (and the customer support was good). YMMV of course. :lmao:

Red_Chili
08-02-2010, 02:37 PM
And fwiw banking on smartphones seems nuts to me too. First thing I would try to hack and few run AV software. That's just me though.

Red_Chili
08-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe. No password lockout, minimal password strength checking, little email verification, granting attorney - in - fact, Intuit can use financial data, Intuit stores your bank login info on their servers, etc. Working in IT in a HIPPA environment I am not a fan of distributed financials if I can help it. Seen too much. Some security will always fail and the more places you put info the more failure points you incur. IMHO. Source: www.jasonowens.com/mint-com-in-2010-is-it-safe