PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Sequoia?

ScaldedDog
07-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Have any of you done it?

My beloved 8000lb '01 Excursion needs some work, and my wife is thinking she'd be willing to drive a Sequoia everyday, but it would need to be our tow rig, too. That means safely towing a 7000lb trailer through the hills, even in bad weather. (Remember coming back from CM10?) With the 5.7 and a 4.30 axle ratio (which I can't confirm they even have) I figure the drivetrain would work passably well. I'm worried about having a lighter tow rig than trailer in bad weather, though.

I know some of you guys own one of these, so I'm interested in your thoughts.

Mark

corsair23
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Only guy I know that has one is Rezarf...Bummer about the Excursion...How bad is it?

J Kimmel
08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
just put the BTS in your excursion...you will hate towing with a sequoia after it.

ScaldedDog
08-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Only guy I know that has one is Rezarf...Bummer about the Excursion...How bad is it?

In addition to the coast clutches going away, I noticed fuel in the coolant bottle this week. :( It's likely a cracked injector cup, but I'm having Rocky replace all eight. Even with this and a new tranny, the old adage about the cheapest vehicle to own is the one you already do is still true.

just put the BTS in your excursion...you will hate towing with a sequoia after it.

Yeah, I'm coming to the same conclusion. We looked at Sequoia's yesterday, and they are way bigger than Chris wants to drive everyday, and not big enough to tow well. Not a great compromise.

Mark

J Kimmel
08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
once you have a BTS in there, you can turn up the power and not worry about it :)

If you ever decide to sell it let me know, I know of at least 3 guys that would kill for that exact truck, it took Brook 2 years to find his! :)

ScaldedDog
08-01-2010, 09:17 PM
once you have a BTS in there, you can turn up the power and not worry about it :)

If you ever decide to sell it let me know, I know of at least 3 guys that would kill for that exact truck, it took Brook 2 years to find his! :)

Funny you say that. I've been spending a little time at dp-tuner.com... :bowdown:

Assuming Rocky doesn't tell me I've already blown this thing up, I'm going to put a BTS in it, mildly chip it, and see if I can figure out how to make it ride a little nicer. I love it, but wife would like to have something with a little more car like ride. That might take some doing...

Mark

J Kimmel
08-02-2010, 07:27 AM
get her a car.

SteveH
08-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Fix the Excursion, and get another smooth riding vehicle. I personally think that's way too much to tow with a Sequoia in Colorado. Making one or two trips is one thing, but as a regular tow vehicle - no. After towing for years with my '95 LC and '98 4Runner, I have an '01 F350 crew/shortbed/FlowerChoke, and couldn't be happier with its towing abilities and room inside. I just drive it for towing and vacations. Bummer on your injector and trans repairs - I hope those work out easily for you.

ScaldedDog
08-02-2010, 08:33 AM
get her a car.

Fix the Excursion, and get another smooth riding vehicle.

LOL! She actually has a nice Infiniti, though it's a few years old. Our "vacation" car is the Excursion, though, since we can throw both bikes, golf clubs and everything else inside. It's those long trips in it she dreads.

Thanks Steve! I concur. They aren't for everyone, but now and then a man needs a real truck.

Mark

Rezarf
08-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I doubt the Sequoia will be a treat after the excursion. However, my father in law has a Sequoia too, and he towed a travel trailer from Iowa to Winter Park this summer. He got one of those load leveling hitch thingys that he said made a huge difference. He has a trailer brake system and the truck is mechanically sound. He said the Sequoia did fine, and he usually hauls it with a Dodge Turbo Desiel full size.

Me, I wouldn't do it. It could be done but not gracefully like a full size rig built for towing. A pop-up... no worries, but when you top out the weight of the vehicle I think they are much better options for towing a big trailer.

That said, I LOVE my Sequioa and would buy another in a heartbeat!

Drew

Rezarf
08-02-2010, 09:21 AM
FWIW, my F-I-L got 6mpg coming out from Iowa! :eek:

ScaldedDog
08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks Drew. I was hoping you'd chime in. After sitting in a 2010 model, I'd *love* to have one, but they are a pretty poor compromise for a couple of empty nesters like us.

Mark