PDA

View Full Version : rusty ring gear.

leiniesred
08-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Run it? Or make the guy find a new ring and pinion?

rover67
08-04-2010, 11:35 AM
what's it going into? I'd be tempted to run it.

Uncle Ben
08-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Run it!

thefatkid
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Front, I'd run it. Rear, I'd think about new gears. The rust runs into the the center of the contact patch and could cause a groan noise. Is there a backlash change when that part of the ring gear is in contcat with the pinion?

Was the differential full of water for a long time without moving the gear? It looks like it from the rust "line" across all the teeth.

Air Randy
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Depends. If it is going to be a daily driver that going to get a lot of miles on it and gear noise would be a problem, then it may make sense to replace the R&P now while it's torn down. If it gets a lot of hard miles the pitting will eventually cause premature wear.

If it is only a weekend warrior wheeling rig that you don't care if it makes a little gear whine, then I would run it as-is. Under these conditions it should last a long time.

FJBRADY
08-04-2010, 12:13 PM
What if it was D. Schlegs' :zilla:

Dr. Schlegs
08-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Looks good.:) It was not sitting in water, the 3rd member was opened up while I was replacing the rear brakes with Discs. It took me a while to seal it back up as I was working on my dissertation at the same time.

PS thanks for outing me Steve - jerk.:tongue2:

leiniesred
08-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey everyone is going to see the thing on Saturday and ask about the pitting.
Plus, No one likes to do things 2x. I want to do it as right as possible (in our price and skill range)

I think it will run loud and maybe hot for about 3000 miles. Then it will either be OK, or it will gall and burn up.

FJBRADY
08-04-2010, 01:13 PM
PS thanks for outing me Steve - jerk.:tongue2:

Did not know it was a secret. My bad :brick:

leiniesred
08-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I think I'm the steve - jerk in this case, Steve.

corsair23
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
:lmao:

This is a GREAT club :D

Surely we can find the good Dr. a "newer" ring and pinon setup...What would happen if Marco dipped the ring and pinon in his rust removal tank? What gearing is it and what other rigs might make good transplant donors?

Air Randy
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh heck, if it's Schlegs just put it back together as-is. It'll be years before he even gets his motor running :D and when he does he'll only drive it twice a year on the easy runs :hill:

rover67
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
:lmao:

This is a GREAT club :D

Surely we can find the good Dr. a "newer" ring and pinon setup...What would happen if Marco dipped the ring and pinon in his rust removal tank? What gearing is it and what other rigs might make good transplant donors?

well, all the rust would go away, but the pitting would be there still...

now though, I think I'd just run it. Since it's going in a 40 :D

Uncle Ben
08-04-2010, 02:44 PM
well, all the rust would go away, but the pitting would be there still...

now though, I think I'd just run it. Since it's going in a 40 :D

Get the magic goo from Christo.....that ring gear will magically turn the whole diff into a 5 ton Rockwell and everyone, especially the J**p and Rover drivers, will be in praise!

Dr. Schlegs
08-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Brady's the jerk. Just want to be clear. Hey by the way Brady tell Michelle I said, "Hello." Looking forward to seeing her on Saturday.

FJBRADY
08-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Brady's the jerk. Just want to be clear.

That's right it was me :bill:

Carefull your starting to sound a little like TrannyFrank by name calling and still wanting myself and :Princess: to partake in the Rally, just saying that's all.

It was not too long ago I had to delete a thread because of a certain Captain, Capt.:whiteflag:

J Kimmel
08-04-2010, 05:32 PM
I'd run it.