PDA

View Full Version : Hi Lift Jack Question

LETSROLL
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm about to go and buy one but thought I'd post a question here. I see them for sale at McGuckins, Jax, Murdocks, etc. Are there different model numbers/types? If so, which is preferred?

Thanks

wesintl
08-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I like the all cast but any will do..

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/product-comparison.html

DaveInDenver
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
The lifting parts are the same, the cast version has a couple of nicer parts (base and top clamp). I have a stamped version and have used it a lot because of the lack of a winch for a long time. The stamped parts are plenty strong.

The main thing IMO is to get the Bloomfield Manf. Co. made 'Hi-Lift' brand, this is the real one. There are things like jacks and recovery gear where I prefer to know pretty surely that the ratings are true.

leiniesred
08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm with Dave. If it says Hi-LIFT on it, it'll be fine.
3 flavors:
stamped
cast
Extreme

2 common lengths
48"
60"

I've used a 60" jack once where a 48" jack would NOT have worked. but the 48" jack fits in my truck much better.

I say get a used one at the rally this weekend.
dollar an inch for one in good shape is a good deal.

TIMZTOY
08-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I like the 60" because I can see myself using a 48" and saying man I wish I had a 60". But never see myself using a 60" and saying man I wish I had a 48"

Uncle Ben
08-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Hard to find places for a 5' jack! A 48" and a short chain will lift nearly anything you need....it's all in the rigging. Example: When Isaac and I lost a inner bead on a rear wheel of WR my 48" was plenty tall enough to do what we needed and I have over 60" of articulation front to rear!

nakman
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I've got a 57" hi lift.. it fits perfectly laying across the wheel wells behind the back seats. So far I haven't missed those last few clicks.. yeah I put a 60 in a band saw.. :)

CardinalFJ60
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I like the 60" because I can see myself using a 48" and saying man I wish I had a 60". But never see myself using a 60" and saying man I wish I had a 48"

I agree with this expecially after witnessing the recovery on Ehill. Think not only about jacking up the rig for tire change or repair, but also for recovery techniques. We had to stack some rocks under the 48" hi-lift (IIRC) to get the jack high enough to grab the roll-bar to help flip the gecko back over.

TIMZTOY
08-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Yep. Id rather have the headache of were to fit the 60" for storage rather than the headache of needing only 3-5 more inches on a 48"

wesintl
08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
i have a 60" i leave at home and rely on one of you ;)

Uncle Ben
08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Yep. Id rather have the headache of were to fit the 60" for storage rather than the headache of needing only 3-5 more inches on a 48"

If you have ever had your vehicle to the last hole on a 48" and seen how unstable it was headache will be the last of your concerns!

Corbet
08-05-2010, 08:31 PM
If you have ever had your vehicle to the last hole on a 48" and seen how unstable it was headache will be the last of your concerns!

I agree with that. I've had my truck fall on its rotor after my jack tipped to the side.

But I've had to winch the truck uphill for 40+ feet with it. Having the longer jack there would have been nice. Probably would have saved me 8-10 riggings.

TIMZTOY
08-06-2010, 08:27 AM

Tru! They both have the pros and cons

Caribou Sandstorm
08-07-2010, 11:27 PM
This thread is super informative and helpful!

SteveH
08-09-2010, 07:05 AM
As always, the Hi Lift is a proverbial widowmaker. I few years ago broke my pinky finger, trapping it between the Hi-lift and a Blazer chassis. Could have been a lot worse. Just realize that it's no substitute for an axle jack and that it's *always* unstable, and you'll be better off.

simps80
08-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I bought the 60" and mounted it to the front bumper ....
I hated the look at first, but needed it when going out solo, and dang sure didn't want it rattling around in the back,
what I've learned now is when its mounted up front like that, it actually helps me envision the location of my front corners really well in tight situations, because it is out front and on top and virtually the same width as the front of the truck.

So now I leave it there most times because of that reason, it is a good visual aid for me.....and the look is starting to grow on me a little...still ugly...but not quite as much as it was at first

so i guess that's the point, in my opinion a 60 not a 48 and if you need it you'll have it