PDA

View Full Version : Bill Moore Lake Post Rally Run

Bruiser
08-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Well, someone has to start a new thread to say thanks to all for a good time and another great outing with GREAT people. Jeff, thanks for leading the run. I don't think I have been on a run with you as the lead so it is always good to learn from someone new about group management. Kevin, sorry about your rig. However, with our group I never have any doubt that a broken rig and its driver will find a way home. Chris and Kristine, thanks for picking up the two stray huskies and talking them to the shelter. It is amazing that people can be so cruel. Anyway, I am downloading my pictures now and I am sure others will post some soon.

Justin

Bruiser
08-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Here are some pictures:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/TF9pblM3kyI/AAAAAAAAAYI/xGbbmOOoN4E/IMG_5185.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/TF9pbkBQ_2I/AAAAAAAAAYM/poSHzgsvquw/IMG_5186.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/TF9pb5BFYKI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/ok2kBDmWlOM/IMG_5187.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/TF9pb3X8MyI/AAAAAAAAAYU/uzDdCyNabzg/IMG_5193.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/TF9pb5Pp8rI/AAAAAAAAAYY/fKNyci_ABEI/IMG_5198.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/TF9pqEs32wI/AAAAAAAAAYc/D73QUxq2cKQ/IMG_5199.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/TF9pqrtutzI/AAAAAAAAAYg/1x-JYZDZ5uM/IMG_5203.JPG

wesintl
08-08-2010, 09:50 PM
nice pics!

uh oh, shear'd knuckle studs?

Romer
08-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Just to update on Kevin, Robbie, Steve Brady and I went over to Bill Moore from Spring Creek and got Kevin all fixed up to get home. He broke his knuckle studs and his front axle will need a rebuild. The outer bearing was shot, the inner axle seal all chewed up. He should make it home ok.

Ricardo, Brandon, Jeff Zettl and Jeff Zepp where all there working on the truck. Kevin learned a lot about Toyota front axles and what kind of grease to use in the bearings and the different Moly type to use on the birf.

He also will need a short side front axel if anyone has one. His has a pretty good groove in it.

FJBRADY
08-08-2010, 10:15 PM
nice pics!

uh oh, shear'd knuckle studs?

Ding ding ding you are the winner.

Romer
08-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Here is the team fixing Kevin up

Bruiser
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I think there was just a thread about 60 vs 48-inch high lifts. I guess the pic above of Kevin's fix gives credence to a 60 inch.

You guys are great!

LETSROLL
08-08-2010, 10:50 PM
How does something like that happen? The trail doesn't look to extreme right there. Is that the kind of thing that just "let's go"?

Romer
08-08-2010, 11:10 PM
How does something like that happen? The trail doesn't look to extreme right there. Is that the kind of thing that just "let's go"?

Once those things are loose, things just get worse. A common problem when people rebuild their front 80 series axles is to not get them tight. You can torque the bolts and there still can be a small gap that is hard to see. There is a trick that you tighten the bolts, smack the steering arm with a hammer from the underside and keep torquing the bolts.

Kevin and Ricardo said they never took it off when the reworked the axle a few weeks ago.

Could be it had a small gap and the gap has built up over time while Kevin wheeled it.

Guess we will never know

Dr. Schlegs
08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
I finally made it home. Going to take a shower and get back online to read about my day. :o Thanks everyone for the help on the trail.

RicardoJM
08-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I finally made it home.

Glad to hear it. I rolled the 40 into the garage and will not get to pictures until tomorrow.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I finally make it home. Going to take a shower and get back online to read about my day. :o Thanks everyone for the help on the trail.

Fantastic Kevin! My wife kept asking me if you made it home okay.

Heros of the day: Ken Romer for having the needed parts on hand and especially Robbie for his expertise and doing most of the wrenching.

Brief synopsis:

After a glorious day of wheeling, awesome wildflowers, new and old friends having a great time together we were all headed down. Those of you who are familiar with this trail know that there is a steep, rocky optional route about .2 miles up from the switchback by the old mine structure. No one went up it on our way up, but several wanted to try it on the way down.

I went on ahead to make sure there would be no trail traffic trying to come up. Good thing too, there were three others that were just about to try going up it when I got there. We radioed the all-clear and the 4 adventurers made there way down. Just before the bottom, second-from-last Brandon (shortbus) had an issue where he slipped into neutral. Right about that time someone said over the radio that they had a steering issue. We initially thought it was Brandon, as he was stopped and his engine was revving. We jumped out of the way as he started off again, thinking he was having the steering issue.

But his steering seemed fine, and Kevin was next, but wasn't moving. Then we learned that it was Kevin that had an issue. It turned out that 2 of the 4 lower knuckle studs were completely missing, and the remaining 2 had sheared off, leaving his steering arm dangling. The placement of the rig was a super-lucky place. The rig wasn't in danger of going anywhere on its own even though it was on a steep downhill, and he wasn't blocking the main trail. But the rest of us were. Ricardo contacted the Spring Creek group and learned that Ken might have the parts that would be needed for a trailside repair. I assembled the group and moved everyone down to a spot where we were no longer blocking trail traffic.

Jeff Z (the other one), Brandon and Ricardo stayed with Kevin, while I led the rest of our group down to the trailhead; we said our goodbyes and I headed back up. By then we learned that Robbie, Ken and Steve Brady would be headed our way with parts and expertise. We stabilized the rig, and then more after the Spring Creek group arrived.

It was an adventure, but with great Rising Sun teamwork, Robbie's expertise and Kens parts, the repair was made and as you read above Kevin made it home safely. Total time from breakage to return to trailhead was about 4 hours.

While the breakage and repair may seem to overshadow other aspects of the run, it really was a great run. I got to meet some new friends (Chris and Christine, and I can't remember the name of the dude in the red mini that caught up with us, but he was really cool too), and we all got to enjoy some awesome Colorado high country. I have never seen violet Indian Paintbrush before. Did I say the wildflowers were awesome. They were frigging awesome! And there was this one mushroom that was at least a foot in diameter.

There were two abandoned dogs that joined our group at the lake and they were rescued (Chris and Christine?).

It was quite the eventful day.

Photos coming soon...

:risingsun

RicardoJM
08-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Mr. Zepp thanks for leading our group today. Trail breakage aside, it was a great run with a great group. Bill Moore is one of my favorite runs. It was nice to have some new people along with us. Zach, I enjoyed the company on the ride up and back. Idelle (sp) it looked like you were having a bunch of fun wheeling your 80.

I took a few photos, but it will likely be tomorrow before I post them up.

Ken, Robbie, Steve, Jeff Z (both of you), Brandon and Kevin - you guys were a bunch of fun to work with. I learned a bit more about safety and trail repairs today.

Dr. Schlegs
08-09-2010, 12:30 AM
The story is that over time those nuts came loose. Romer imparted some wisdom about the rebuild of an 80 axle with regard to the steering arm and replacement of the trunnion bearing. I guess when I had placed all the good stuff in the Front Axle I did not torque and whack the steering arms enough. Romer reported this is a common issue on the 80's. As a result, things started to snowball from there, with strain being placed on the bearings, inner axle, etc.

The trail is mild, but this thing was working itself loose. As Ricardo, mentioned several times this afternoon, "better it happened here, than on I-70 going 70-80 mph." It could have gone from a headache on the trail to a head injury on I-70.

Everyone that was out there learned something, with maybe the exception of Robbie:bowdown:. Ricardo and I where blown away by how effortlessly Robbie was able to set the 80 up for a safe recovery. We learned about what spare parts one should have, as well as what a good trail tool-kit should have in it.

I personally learned the value of HAM. If it was not for the HAM Radio we would not have been able to call over to the crew on Spring Creek for some help. It was awesome to see Romer coming up the hill with parts and Robbie with his tool-box in hand. Brady, Romer, Robbie, Zepp, Ricardo, Jeff Zettle, Brandon and myself had a few good laughs in the process, to ease the stress of the situation. I wish I could been been able to learn more about everyone under different circumstances. ;)

As far as the Grease Debate, I still don't understand the whole "elemental thing", but I know what I should get for the 80 now. I never studied grease in doctor school.:lmao:

I try to have a well maintained rig, but sometimes things just happen. And when they do happen I know that members of RS will be there to get you out of a jam.

Again Thank you Robbie, Romer, Brady, Ricardo, Brandon, Zepp and Zettle.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Like I said, the flowers were freaking awesome!

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Little bitty mushrooms, followed by pretty big mushrooms (~4-6" dia). Some one else got a shot of the monster mushroom.

Dr. Schlegs
08-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Oh ya, the trail was a blast. No really it was. Even with the breakdown I have a smile on my face. RS is great and we save dogs, too.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:37 AM
As is my custom, lead a group around to the other side of the lake for lunch. Here, our new friends Chris and Christine discuss life.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Brandon gives the peace sign while munching on lunch.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Justin and Kari munch lunch while their dog explores.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:40 AM
This trail is special for Matt Lewis and I on a lot of levels, and today's adventure added to that.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:42 AM
More flowers. We were all thrilled with nature's display.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:43 AM
The little creek that runs along the path along the side of the lake was roaring.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Heading back down.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Here's where we thought Brandon might be having an issue. Turns out he was fine.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Houston, we have a problem.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Robbie considers the immediate issue of how to get the darn wheel off. Yeah....BFH...that's the ticket :)

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:50 AM
He's not actually whacking the birf, although it looks like it in this shot. The job is extracting the broken off pieces of knuckle studs remaining in the knuckle. Robbie made short work of them. He's an expert, you know.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Installation of the new knuckle studs that Ken provided.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Kind of a view to get a feel for what the scene was like. Generally speaking, we were all Robbie's helpers, and it was kind of like making stone soup. Somebody had this tool we needed, somebody else had some other supply we needed, and all in all it went pretty smooth. It was some pretty good teamwork.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 01:01 AM
Robbie installs the brake rotor as we head for the final stretch before putting the wheel back on and lowering the rig back down.

Of course the HAM guys had their HAM, and it helped bring us the needed parts quicker than might otherwise have been the case, but we actually had cell coverage up there. So calls were made to patient wives, and I was very happy to have a nice dinner ready for me when I got home.

All in all, a very good day. Among the things we discussed is what might have happened if this had happened at highway speed on I-70. It was actually very fortunate for this to have happened here instead of a more hazardous environment.

Thank you to everyone who went on this run with me, I really enjoyed wheeling with you, and especially thanks to the rescue crew of Ken Romer, Robbie Antonson and Steve Brady who took their time, parts, tools and expertise away from what would have been going straight home from Spring Creek and instead came up to help fix Kevin's rig.

Once again:

:risingsun:risingsun:risingsun

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 01:05 AM
I think there was just a thread about 60 vs 48-inch high lifts. I guess the pic above of Kevin's fix gives credence to a 60 inch.

You guys are great!

What you can not see in that image very well is that it is bowed! But yes, as we clicked to the very top-most holes, that thread was running through my mind.

corsair23
08-09-2010, 01:35 AM
An awesome day, even with the problem :)

Thanks to Jeff for leading, Kevin for gunning, and everyone else for coming out for the fun. And a HUGE thanks to the repair crew. Romer states this all the time but it is true that we don't leave people behind. Even when that means folks from another run have to cut their trail short and hustle over to another run to help out. Amazing :thumb:

Some pics that I took...Sorry, not much in the rig department but more scenery...This run has amazing scenery!

Airing down...10 rigs to start although we picked up a few more as the day progressed

Seems like the shrooms were everywhere this year and HUGE

Low ceiling over Bill Moore Lake. As Zepp said, it looks like the clouds are touching the lake area.

corsair23
08-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Flowers were everywhere...

corsair23
08-09-2010, 01:44 AM
I've never been to Bill Moore Lake...It is definitely worth the trip :thumb:

Bill Moore Lake

The hiking party from a distance

Can you see the waterfall? Someday I think I'll have to hike up to it :)

The rescued dogs...A HUGE thanks to Chris and Christine for offering to take them back to Denver with them...Hopefully they'll find a good home.

For those wondering...We all guessed that someone abandoned the dogs up there or they got away from the owner. The area is a long way away from homes etc so :confused:. No collars and no identification, just choke chains on their necks. They were friendly although wary at first and the male (we think) had a hurt paw that he was very insistent that no one touch.

corsair23
08-09-2010, 02:00 AM
And finally, the carnage.

The pictures don't really do justice to how sketchy it was. You can't tell how steep it really is right there (although Kevin's tailbone probably can :hill:) and the PS that broke was dug in on the uphill side. We had Brandon come down from the top and we attached a strap from his FJC to the 80 as an anchor. We then piled rocks in front of Brandon's front tires and in front of Kevin's rear tires before we started jacking up the front of the 80.

Our initial thought was to move the front end over a couple feet but we abandoned that idea. In the end we had 3 hi-lift jacks on the front bumper (and yeah, my 60" jack is bent :( - but it came in handy for the first time in 3+ years :D), a bottle jack on top of a tire wheel under the axle/diff, and then we also used Kevin's winch that was strapped off a tree uphill on the PS to keep the front end from swinging toward the DS and off the lifts.

Even with all that Robbie and Jeff still ended up having to dig out around and under the PS tire to get the tire to come off. Oh, and putting on lug nuts with air tools makes it REALLY tough to get them off on the trail :hill:

All I can say is that the fact that Romer had the needed parts and Robbie offered his expertise was a HUGE help...We'd probably still be up there trying to get the rig off the trail if it weren't for them :eek:

The rest of us did what we could: grabbing tools, cleaning parts, etc. and generally trying to keep up with Robbie and stay out of his way :)

Anna (sp?) decided that since Kevin's 80 was busted that she'd hop in the plush Lexus for a spell :hill: - Hey Kevin...after you get the 80 all fixed up, Anna could use a good brushing :)

Anyone that owns an 80, or any off road vehicle will realize that the PS tire is not supposed to be in this position :rolleyes:

20198]

Look closely...you can see daylight between the axle housing end and the rear of the knuckle...not good...The tire/hub/knuckle basically separated from the axle when the knuckle studs let go. Aye Carumba!! :eek:

Bruiser
08-09-2010, 07:47 AM
I got to meet some new friends (Chris and Kristine, and I can't remember the name of the dude in the red mini that caught up with us, but he was really cool too), and we all got to enjoy some awesome Colorado high country.

I think Barry was in the red mini. I actually did not get a chance to meet him officially but heard a lot of Toyota facts from him over the CB.

By the way, if you did not see my post in the HAM section, my wife is making me take the HAM class and put one in my rig after seeing how helpful it was for Kevin. :D. Thanks Kevin, your sacrifice is duly noted :bowdown:

FJBRADY
08-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Kind of a view to get a feel for what the scene was like. Generally speaking, we were all Robbie's helpers, and it was kind of like making stone soup. Somebody had this tool we needed, somebody else had some other supply we needed, and all in all it went pretty smooth. It was some pretty good teamwork.

In this photo I was among greatness I had to rest and reflect at this moment in time, besides the fact I was running on empty between the Rally on Sat and Spring Creek on Sunday......lot's of hours with the club this weekend, good stuff. :thumb:

Trail fix attendees:

Ken, RS Commander
Jeff Z, RS Treasurer
Ricardo, RS Trial report guru
Jeff Z (yeah the other Jeff Z.) TLCA President
Robbie, TLCA Tech editor
Kevin, RS Rally Chairman
Brandon, FJC owner
Then there is little ole me, just some dude that owns a 40.

simps80
08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
that kind of breakage on the trail is literally the subject of a recurring dream I have usually the night before a trip....and it almost always involves the front axle...

simply amazing that you guys pulled that fix off like that.

really neat. really really neat.

:risingsun:

RicardoJM
08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Both the Spring Creek and Bill Moore runs met at the "bk n dvil" and at 9:30 sharp the ten rigs doing Bill Moore were on their way. While on the trail we were joined by Barry (sp) and Brandon. Here are the 10 rigs as we were airing down for the run.

Partial 2010 Bill Moore Rally Run lineup

Rzeppa
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm001.jpg

RicardoJM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm002.jpg

Dr. Schlegs
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm003.jpg

Babo
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm004.jpg

corsair23
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm005.jpg

secretformula
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm006.jpg

John
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm007.jpg

Bruiser
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm008.jpg

gcmandrake(Matt Lewis)
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm009.jpg

TonkaToy
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm010.jpg

I didn't get any photos of Barry or Brandon.

RicardoJM
08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I ended up between 40s on this run.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm011.jpg
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm012.jpg
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm014.jpg

After a year, the rattle can paint job is holding up nicely.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm013.jpg

The cloud cover looked ominous as we were dropping down into the lake. Thankfully, we did not experience any thunderstorms. While we were at the lake it seems like the cloud bank moved back and we had some sun shine for a while.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm015.jpg

While not really trip report related, I snapped a couple of photos of the new Rising Sun stickers. The first is before staring the trip back down and the second is after getting home.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm016.jpg
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm017.jpg

Jacket
08-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I guess we should all spend a moment a check/torque our knuckle studs, and make sure we have at least 4 studs and nuts in the spare parts drawer. Thanks for the report.

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Both the Spring Creek and Bill Moore runs met at the "bk n dvil" and at 9:30 sharp the ten rigs doing Bill Moore were on their way. While on the trail we were joined by Barry (sp) and Brandon. Here are the 10 rigs as we were airing down for the run.

"Mobile Husky Rescue Team" (TBD)
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2010bmrun/w_bm006.jpg

I found him in the trip planning thread for this run:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=158063&postcount=12

He said he learned of the run from this site. It says he's been hanging out here for almost 2 years, but that was his first post. Welcome Chris!

RicardoJM
08-09-2010, 10:35 AM
I found him in the trip planning thread for this run:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=158063&postcount=12

He said he learned of the run from this site. It says he's been hanging out here for almost 2 years, but that was his first post. Welcome Chris!

Thanks Jeff, I updated the line up:thumb:.

wesintl
08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
awesome. Nice work. I just ordered 80 knuckle studs for my trail kit. Seems like a good item to have in the tool box on the trail lately.

Dr. Schlegs
08-09-2010, 11:10 AM
awesome. Nice work. I just ordered 80 knuckle studs for my trail kit. Seems like a good item to have in the tool box on the trail lately.

I think we should order some locks of Robbies hair and clone him, too. It might be hard to fit a Robbie in a trail kit, however.

Babo
08-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks to Jeff for leading this run as it definetly got interesting near the end (sorry Kevin!). And thanks to everyone for the encouragement on my first time driving on the trail. Had a great time, great scenery and great friends!

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Don't forget cone washers, split washers, and nuts. If the studs shear those parts may either be missing or non-usable. In Kevin's case, two of the studs (and their attendant hardware) were simply missing. Who knows how long they had been gone? It is entirely possible that he had been driving on only 2 studs for a while.

Dr. Schlegs
08-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Idelle it was great to have you along with us. I would suggest you get your man to remove the mudflaps if you are going to be wheeling it much. When I was stock I lost a mudflap on a rock and it pulled the fender-flair.

FYI I called CruiserOutfitters. Kurt looks to be running a special on 80 axle rebuild kits. I am ordering two. He must have heard about my problem on the trail.:lmao:

Romer please pm me a list of parts I need to replace of yours. I know you are traveling today. With my anxiety level being so high yesterday afternoon; I don't remember everything we used.

I'm off to look for tubes of grease that begins with the letter "P". Palladium®, not to confused with platypus.:lmao:

Dr. Schlegs
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Boy everyone must know about my misfortune. I ran to CarQuest and got 20 tubes of the Valvoline Palladium® Grease. The Valvoline Palladium® Grease is on sale and is cheaper than the multi-purpose and even the moly-grease for fords product. This should cover me for 3 axle rebuilds and a couple spares for my new axle rebuild trail-kit.:eek:

Caribou Sandstorm
08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Great pics..

One thing I noticed is the High Lift Jack handles were not all the way up in the locked position. I wasn't aware there was a locked position until I recently watched a Bill Burke video (Robbie loaned me), "Getting Unstuck".

I just picked up my own copy from Christo's shop..

Anyway, Robbie helped me yesterday also in spotting and winching me through a tough feature on Spring Creek.

What a pleasant surprise to see Robbie joining our run yesterday!

Rzeppa
08-09-2010, 12:58 PM
One thing I noticed is the High Lift Jack handles were not all the way up in the locked position. I wasn't aware there was a locked position until I recently watched a Bill Burke video (Robbie loaned me), "Getting Unstuck".

We left them sticking out so we could bump our heads into them repeatedly as we worked :lmao:

Dr. Schlegs
08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Zettle, I figured your kids would like an Anna update. After we got home and I cleaned up and was on-line. I took Anna outside for another brushing before going to bed. I was too exhausted to give her a bath prior. However, once we came back inside Anna ran and jumped into the tube where she gets her "spa treatment". Needless to say Anna got her wish, I know how dirty I felt, I can only imagine how gross she felt. :Princess:

corsair23
08-09-2010, 01:31 PM
We left them sticking out so we could bump our heads into them repeatedly as we worked :lmao:

And that worked remarkably well I might add :hill:

corsair23
08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks to Jeff for leading this run as it definetly got interesting near the end (sorry Kevin!). And thanks to everyone for the encouragement on my first time driving on the trail. Had a great time, great scenery and great friends!

You did AWESOME! For those that didn't know Idelle was following behind me and I didn't figure out until about 1/2 way through that she was sort of following my lines. Well, I was picking out the harder lines where possible and she was right there with me. She even drove right up a steep alternate route/section that I cheated and locked my rear on, while she did it open. :thumb:

FJBRADY
08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
One thing I noticed is the High Lift Jack handles were not all the way up in the locked position.

I did not know there was a locked position or is it more of a safety issue so you won't bump the jack. High lifts freak me out.....sort of the way spiders do! I don't trust either one of them and they are both creepy!

Rezarf
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Great report, sorry I couldn't make it. Looks like a lot of fun and "adventure" gotta' love wheelin' with the club, these things tend to be a lot less stressful with lots of helping (and knowlegeable) hands!

:risingsun:

LETSROLL
08-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow. That's awesome. What became of them??

I've never been to Bill Moore Lake...It is definitely worth the trip :thumb:

Bill Moore Lake

The hiking party from a distance

Can you see the waterfall? Someday I think I'll have to hike up to it :)

The rescued dogs...A HUGE thanks to Chris and Christine for offering to take them back to Denver with them...Hopefully they'll find a good home.

For those wondering...We all guessed that someone abandoned the dogs up there or they got away from the owner. The area is a long way away from homes etc so :confused:. No collars and no identification, just choke chains on their necks. They were friendly although wary at first and the male (we think) had a hurt paw that he was very insistent that no one touch.

East Coast Kid
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Well… looks like we are a bit late on posting… it’s been fun to see all the picts. We’ll put some up also.

First Off: THANK YOU!!

We had a blast being on the run with you all. We had never been to Bill Moore Lake and it did not disappoint. As others have noted, there was a lot of beautiful scenery with the wild flowers in bloom.

It was refreshing to be welcomed into the club so kindly. Seeing everyone pull together to help out Friends in need was comforting. (Sorry about the front axel issue, sounds like there was a lot learned from the whole ordeal, Christopher now has several pieces of equipment he’s adding to the “we-need-for-wheeling list”). We’ve been going out mostly on our own playing it safe and taking it easy, but after seeing RS in action, it would be nice to expand our territory and go out with the group on more difficult trails. This seems like just the type of crew we have been hoping to find. Surely we’ll be showing up to an upcoming meeting at Stevenson as we live right up the road.

Idelle, I was thrilled to see another lady driving. Knowing that you were driving gave me the courage to claim the keys for the ride up. I’m sorry that I will be working the Saturday of the Ladies in 80s run … but I’ll be keeping an eye out for another trip!

Secondly: the 2 dogs are doing well.

After a bit of a trail ride, they fell asleep side by side for the highway ride back to Denver. When we arrived at Dumb Friends League, they were much more relaxed. We discovered they are both girls. They were kept together in a run of their own and given some dinner. They did not have microchips, as they will be on a “lost and found” hold for the next several days. I checked on them this morning and again this evening – they are adjusting well. The more dominant one has gotten friendlier and seems to have a minor soft-tissue injury on the front paw but is no longer limping. They have been vaccinated and need to go through a behavioral evaluation prior to adoption.

They are Kendra A056007 and Kara A056008 if anyone is interested in 2 trail proven dogs… Here it comes… a shameless plug for the Denver Dumb Friends League: any donations to help with their care would be greatly appreciated http://ddfl.org

THANK YOU!

working on downsizing the pictures for uploading...

Rzeppa
08-10-2010, 01:18 AM
We’ll put some up also.

Awesome! Didn't Chris take one of that giant mushroom with his hand in there for perspective?

First Off: THANK YOU!!

It was refreshing to be welcomed into the club so kindly. Seeing everyone pull together to help out Friends in need was comforting.

You're quite welcome, and our philosophy in Rising Sun and in TLCA is that while our shared enthusiasm for our Toyota 4x4s is what brought us together, it is the wonderful people that make us want to be part of the club.

(Sorry about the front axel issue, sounds like there was a lot learned from the whole ordeal, Christopher now has several pieces of equipment he’s adding to the “we-need-for-wheeling list”).

One of the things we learn from each other is the types of things that can be handy to take with. No need to get carried away, but it is helpful to be prepared for contingencies. Kind of like" "don't hike Mount Washington in a T-shirt and shorts" ;)

We’ve been going out mostly on our own playing it safe and taking it easy, but after seeing RS in action, it would be nice to expand our territory and go out with the group on more difficult trails. This seems like just the type of crew we have been hoping to find. Surely we’ll be showing up to an upcoming meeting at Stevenson as we live right up the road.

We'll be looking forward to seeing you!

Secondly: the 2 dogs are doing well.

After a bit of a trail ride, they fell asleep side by side for the highway ride back to Denver. When we arrived at Dumb Friends League, they were much more relaxed. We discovered they are both girls. They were kept together in a run of their own and given some dinner. They did not have microchips, as they will be on a “lost and found” hold for the next several days. I checked on them this morning and again this evening – they are adjusting well. The more dominant one has gotten friendlier and seems to have a minor soft-tissue injury on the front paw but is no longer limping. They have been vaccinated and need to go through a behavioral evaluation prior to adoption. Awesome!

I see you are a vet tech, thank you so much for seeing to it that these dogs get proper care and prospects for a brighter future!

Caribou Sandstorm
08-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Those dogs are aliens from another planet...One of those mushrooms is their mother ship...They found a few mountain goats and morphed them into huskies....They plan to multiply and take over the world....

But seriously, those are beautiful dogs, hard to believe they do not belong to someone.

Dr. Schlegs
08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
But seriously, those are beautiful dogs, hard to believe they do not belong to someone.

Oh they do belong to someone:rant:. Just not someone as responsible as you or I. I do pet bereavement therapy and I donate 25% of those fees to the Dumb Friends League:puppykisses:. There is always a good home for animals, unfortunately not everyone knows they can surrender pets at shelters. It is even worse in this economy, people losing their homes and having to move into apartments that don't allow pets.

Air Randy
08-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Be sure and notify the Sheriff's department for whatever county that is where they were found, the animal shelters in that area and maybe some of the vets in the area too. It is entirely possible they got loose accidentally and someone is looking for them.

RockRunner
08-10-2010, 01:47 PM
I saw a sign for an animal shelter on the frontage road driving home. I bet that is the first place the people would check. I can't remember the name but will try to find it. If I lived in the hills I would not think to check with the DFL right of the bat.

Here is the link for the animal shelter. http://www.co.clear-creek.co.us/depts/animal.htm

East Coast Kid
08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
The dogs and their owners were reunited. The Owners say they live about 5 miles from Bill Moore Lake and the dogs escaped from their yard. So they went back home today.

wesintl
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
werd.

corsair23
08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
The dogs and their owners were reunited. The Owners say they live about 5 miles from Bill Moore Lake and the dogs escaped from their yard. So they went back home today.

Most excellent news (hopefully) :thumb: - Did they happen to say how long they were missing?

Hopefully they'll get the girls some tags in case this ever happens again.

Rzeppa
08-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Awesome news! :thumb: How did this come about?

Dr. Schlegs
08-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Great news. What is the story about the puppies?

secretformula
08-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey guys, I’ll have to second what Christine said. It sure was nice to have met you all & just incredible to see the club in action. It’s rare to find that kind of integrity, teamwork & friendship anymore, right on. I still think the coolest thing for me was seeing all those cruisers on one trail at once & meeting so many nice folks…

The Dogs like Christine said where reunited with their owners. She went to visit them this afternoon & they were gone. The owners found them on the DFL website. They said that they had been gone about 4 days, hopefully they will get some tags w/#’s on them now.

I can’t think of where they lived maybe St Mary’s Alice? Even as the crow fly’s that’s gota be more than 5 miles. Guess Winter Park or Empire could be possibilities…

Pic’s as promised

secretformula
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
few More...

secretformula
08-10-2010, 07:36 PM
And this is the last of them. Thanks again for having us guys....

corsair23
08-11-2010, 12:22 AM
It was GREAT having you guys come along! Hopefully we'll see more of you two in the future. Us twin pink panty mobiles need to stick together :hill:

SRT08BUS
08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
That's good to hear the dogs found their home, and glad to hear you made it home safely Kevin. It was sweet to see the club swing into action to get the rig back on all four.

still having issues posting pics so sorry for no visuals.

Rzeppa
08-14-2010, 08:58 PM
still having issues posting pics so sorry for no visuals. Any update on photos, Brandon?

nattybumppo
08-15-2010, 08:11 AM
still having issues posting pics so sorry for no visuals.

I had to add and upload them one at a time.

MountainGoat
08-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Any update on photos, Brandon?

I found some he posted over here (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?10684-Rising-Sun-s-Post-Rally-Bill-Moore-Lake-Run-2010). :hill:

RockRunner
08-15-2010, 12:01 PM

That is awesome, now if they would just get them chipped and have them wear their collars we would be good. Thanks again from Sharon and our doggies for taking care of them.:thumb:

SRT08BUS
08-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Any update on photos, Brandon?
Not yet.

I had to add and upload them one at a time.
I've had and tried that one already but thanks, this issue I'm having is something new. When it's done uploading the upload screen goes white, I then try previewing the post as that has worked on some issues in the past but no luck.

I found some he posted over here (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?10684-Rising-Sun-s-Post-Rally-Bill-Moore-Lake-Run-2010). :hill:

I was going to wait some more but wanted to get them downloaded somewhere were I could then just post a link....thanks:thumb:...but I guess everyone now knows I'm cheating on them with another club:p: