PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about affordable engine rebuild for 2f

rckhound
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I have a 2f that had 202,000 on it and have a piston loosing pressure, down to 27psi with the rest around 90. Does anyone know of an affordable re-builder in Colorado or have a good runner. On a shoe string budget and this is my daily driver. Thanks for any help. Steve

Air Randy
08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
What year is your engine? Just trying to confirm if it is an F, 1.5F or 2F?

With 200K+ miles it probably is due for a rebuild. However, if you truely are on a budget and need a quick fix for now, try doing a compression check on it. It may just need a valve job and/or head gasket. Both relatively easy to do and not terribly expensive. If you do end up doing a valve job on an engine with that many miles though, the improved sealing on the head & valves usually leads to the piston rings starting to leak a little worse.

Try giving Justin at Redline a private message. I know he has several good used 2F engines and 1 totally rebuilt 2F for sale. He is RLMS on this forum.

Rock Dog
08-10-2010, 03:52 AM
and if he cannot help, you might try Gunn automotive on federal just north of alameda.... I heard BVB recommend them for engine rebuilds a time or two.... at least see what they would charge.

MDH33
08-10-2010, 09:11 AM
and if he cannot help, you might try Gunn automotive on federal just north of alameda.... I heard BVB recommend them for engine rebuilds a time or two.... at least see what they would charge.

Gunn is a good shop, but it's my understanding they only do the machining and parts sourcing. No assembly. They did the machine work on my 2F head.

Air Randy
08-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Gunn is an excellent machine shop, I've used them for over 30 years. But Martin is correct that they do not disassemble or reassemble the engine, you must have that done by soneone else or do it yourself.

FYI Gunn is an excellent source for buying F-2F engine parts too. I was just there yesterday and had them get me a set of 2F camshaft timing gears. $65.00 for the set including tax, they had them 3 hours after I called them. NAPA and all of the other joints couldn't find them at all, JTO online was $125 plus shipping plus a 30 day wait.

For a full rebuild on a 2F via Gunn it usually runs about $1200 for the machine work and a master rebuild parts kit assuming your crank/head, etc are all rebuildable. Again, you will have to put it together.

rckhound
08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I have an 87 2F and ran compression and it was 90 90 80 27..then I stopped because I was fairly disappointed. So my problem is I don't have a place to assemble a motor I can pull and install but just don't have the specific tools for engine assembly. I don't really want to spend more than $1,000 I kinda wanted to do the whole job for around that or a little more. sounds like I would need rings and main bearings and everything..Let me know what you think.

Steve

MDH33
08-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I have an 87 2F and ran compression and it was 90 90 80 27..then I stopped because I was fairly disappointed. So my problem is I don't have a place to assemble a motor I can pull and install but just don't have the specific tools for engine assembly. I don't really want to spend more than $1,000 I kinda wanted to do the whole job for around that or a little more. sounds like I would need rings and main bearings and everything..Let me know what you think.

Steve

Your best bet would be to find a used, running 2F and drop it in as is. That's the only way you'll get it going for under $1000.

Or, drive it as is. I've been driving my 85 FJ60 with low compression for awhile now. It's not fast, but it always gets me home. :hill:

Air Randy
08-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I suggest you finish your compression check. Keep in mind you have to adjust the compression readings to compensate for Denver's elevation. You need to divide your readings by .85 so you can see that your 80/90 readings here would actually be 95-100 at sea level. There are tons of 2F motors running around quite happily at 100 psi compression readings.

If #4 is the only really bad reading, squirt oil in the cylinder and check it again. If the reading improves significantly then it is probably a piston ring problem. If it doesn't improve then it's probably a valve or head gasket issue. It's quite common for 2F's to have a valve issue on either #4 or #5.

If it is a valve you can pull the head in an afternoon easy. If you get another head rebuilt first, then you can put it back together the same day.

Or, find someone with a decent used motor you can buy and drop in.

wesintl
08-10-2010, 04:27 PM
as randy noted I would do a wet test with oil and note compression. It might only be a top end build not a full rebuild.

RLMS
08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
We have a 79 2f here at the shop, used but ran good, no carb, no dizzy, no igniter, but does have the boss for factory PS pump!

Justin

Air Randy
08-10-2010, 05:54 PM
He can probably use all of the accessories off of his current motor and just use your long block. That would be a pretty easy swap. Can you compression check it?

RLMS
08-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I can get a comp test, and yes his acc's can just swap over!!

Justin

rckhound
08-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I found a 83 2F in VA for $600 that has real good compression 150-130 not warmed up. Got confirmation from Iron pig that it was a good running motor. Comes with new clutch kit also. My next question is do you think I should have the head redone before I even put it in the truck or just let it keep running as it has for this many years.

RicardoJM
08-11-2010, 03:47 PM
... found a 83 2F in VA for $600 that has real good compression 150-130 not warmed up. Got confirmation from Iron pig that it was a good running motor. Comes with new clutch kit also. My next question is do you think I should have the head redone before I even put it in the truck or just let it keep running as it has for this many years.

I picked up a "new to me engine" and faced this same question. I was told (by people I trust) the history of the engine and that it would be a running engine without issue. I replaced the seals and gaskets and dropped it in and it worked out just fine - it is a strong running engine. That said, I made the decision with open eyes and knew there was a chance I might regret not popping the head. Your situation is not necessarily the same, but the right answer is the one you are comfortable with.

SteveH
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I think if you find a strong 2F (compression and oil-pressure-wise), just replace the external gaskets and run it. Removing the head later (if necessary) isn't a huge job anyway. I would always compression test the engine before installation (if possible - toss on a bellhousing and starter, and do it cold) just to baseline it before you go to the trouble of installing it.

rckhound
08-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah I will do the compression test before installing. Have run into that problem in the past working on corvairs, learned my lesson.

rckhound
08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
hey just what is up with your 2F it would be nice if I didn't have to pay freight for an engine from VA.

RLMS
08-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Ill get the 79 2f comp tested tomorrow!!
I might have another 2f out of a 82 fj-60, I have lost track of what I have

Justin

Air Randy
08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I found a 83 2F in VA for $600 that has real good compression 150-130 not warmed up. Got confirmation from Iron pig that it was a good running motor. Comes with new clutch kit also. My next question is do you think I should have the head redone before I even put it in the truck or just let it keep running as it has for this many years.

They are at or close to sea level. That same engine at my house (6700') would read 127 to 110 because of elevation and air density differences.

If the compression is that good then chances are the head is OK, I would run it as-is. Get confirmation from them too on how good the oil pressure was.

I don't know how much shipping is but if Justin has a motor in comparable condition and price range I would say buy local. If you ever have any questions or issues on the motor you know where to go.