PDA

View Full Version : Hunt for the old cheese smell

farnhamstj
08-11-2010, 11:52 AM
With 200000 miles on the clock and 12 years of age. My 100 smelled like old cheese. As most of you know I have 2 children ages 4 and 6. There have been a number of gummy bears, pretzels, peanuts, yogurt, fries, mcnuggets, milkshakes. You pick a kid food and it's probably been spilled in my truck. I started with the strawberry milkshake that was spilled on Sunday. Removed the rear seat. took apart the plastic and cleaned it pretty well. Then the other side of the rear seats. Got out the green machine and started cleaning. Then I figured I was that far in so I should pull the front seats too. Did that. I wasn't finding the offending odor. So I pulled the rear plastic spill mat from the Cargo Area. BINGO!!! soaking wet carpet. Then I went on the hunt for the cause of the moisture. I found a missing plug underneath the body just behind the rear DS wheel. It seems for some time now each time I drive in the rain the road grime and moisture had made it's way up through the hole and the carpet soaked it all up. The plastic floor liner and prevented any of the water from evaporating and I got a sweet science project of a rear carpet. Tore it out. Threw it away and the stink is at least gone for now.

Sorry no pic's. But I wanted to share, if you have kids and want to blame them for the stink, perhaps they are not the cause.:o

RockRunner
08-11-2010, 12:16 PM
I vote for Rino lining the whole inside. Spill a shake no problem just get the hose out.

rover67
08-11-2010, 12:31 PM
How do you like the green machine?

Hulk
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
My son has a green machine. He loves it. How do you use one of these to clean your Land Cruiser?

Air Randy
08-11-2010, 12:48 PM
One of the best chemicals I have found for deodorizing your car is Ozium, in the industril strength version. I carried a generator in the back of a full size Bronco I had and it leaked several pints of gas which soaked into the carpeting. I power washed it several times, used a carpet cleaning machine, etc but it still stunk like gas. Then I was told about Ozium, got that stuff and soaked it down and the odor was gone. Completely. Good stuff.

ttubb
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
One of the best chemicals I have found for deodorizing your car is Ozium, in the industril strength version. I carried a generator in the back of a full size Bronco I had and it leaked several pints of gas which soaked into the carpeting. I power washed it several times, used a carpet cleaning machine, etc but it still stunk like gas. Then I was told about Ozium, got that stuff and soaked it down and the odor was gone. Completely. Good stuff.

Ozium is what we used in aircraft when someone ralfed on the interior. Worked good. And trust me, that is a smell you DO NOT want to live with for long. T :thumb:

AddictedOffroad
08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
There is some stuff you can buy at Checker (or Oreilly I guess now). Its called Oil Eater.

I use it in my washer when I wash my clothes from the shop. Its the only stuff I have ever used that can get gear oil smell out of my clothes. I swear by it. Its great stuff.

farnhamstj
08-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I got a thing of Ozium from Carquest. Guy there said to unload the canister and close the windows for 3 hours and stay out of the truck. I'm gonna do that at some point. I got my money's worth from the Green Machine for sure. We had white carpet in our house and with 2 kids it was in need of a little touch up regularly. For anyone unfamiliar it's a $50 carpet cleaner. Like a mini steam cleaner. I use it along with a nail file brush to clean the truck carpet. My plan is to run the truck with just metal in the trunk for a while.

I'm having fond memories of Ferguson at age 2 with projectile purple vomit hitting the back of my headrest after a healthy lunch in Silverton. Blueberry Milkshake, purple Mr Freezy pop and a sip or two of Rootbeer. IIRC

Corbet
08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I should not have read this thread.... I don't think I want Bridger riding in my truck anymore :o Maybe my SOR seatcovers and husky liners will save my rig:whiteflag:

wesintl
08-12-2010, 09:51 AM
good luck with that. Mine has the twing of the funky milk smell :(

PabloCruise
08-12-2010, 12:54 PM
100's are 12 years old?!?

As for the gear oil smell, that is a smell that the :Princess: actually likes on me - go figure...

nakman
08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Gavin threw up on the stairs last week in the house.. he felt bad, got out of bed, ran past the bathroom then sat on the top of the stairs, managed to hit 6 of them. I had to remind him that when he feels like he has to throw up, just to straight to the potty, there's really no need to come tell me first... :lmao:

3 cans of carpet cleaner later the stairs actually look pretty good, I got up some dirt and kool-aid stains while I was there. As for the Cruiser I tossed my rear carpet years ago, it stunk like an old wet dog and there wasn't much I could do about it, there's some type of rhino lining/bed liner on top of the sheet metal so it's actually not a bad surface for the inside.

farnhamstj
08-12-2010, 03:42 PM
the Husky liner is a good part of the cause of the stink. The moisture was kept in the carpet as it had the liner on top of it preventing evaporation.

"OOOwOO That Smell"

nakman
08-12-2010, 04:52 PM
"OOOwOO That Smell"

yeah Skynard baby... http://s0.ilike.com/play#Lynyrd+Skynyrd:That+Smell:47507:s170867.14941.4912102.1.1.6%2Cstd_3708f20ec8f1db0a31a397103b9c0912