PDA

View Full Version : Are you a yanker or a safe remover?

nakman
08-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I have found there are two types of USB users- those who safely remove everything, and those who just yank it out of the computer. Which are you?

edit: With rare exception, I go through the Safely Remove exercise with everything... :o

corsair23
08-11-2010, 11:56 AM
I've been known to do both...Lost some pictures once though doing the yank method :o

Dr. Schlegs
08-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I yank . . .Um, we ARE talking about USB's right?:o :lmao:

RicardoJM
08-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Yank that puppy out, no PB Blaster required:D.

nakman
08-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Actually come to think of it I always safely remove drives- thumb drives, cameras... I have locked machines up yanking those, my PC's don't respond to change that well I guess.

but I've got no qualms yanking a mouse out for some reason. huh... maybe a IT guy can tell me if I'm crazy? :confused:

RockRunner
08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
You are crazy that is from an IT guy.

wesintl
08-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't think we need an IT guy to tell him that :lmao:

yer nuts...

Jacket
08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I didn't know there was a "safe" option. Guess that makes me a yanker.

rover67
08-11-2010, 12:29 PM
yanker... but I guess you all knew that.

nakman
08-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I didn't know there was a "safe" option. Guess that makes me a yanker.

it's that little green arrow thing in the system tray.. you yankers are all going to hell. :comp:

Red_Chili
08-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Wanker!

Wait, what??!?

You wanna safely remove to close any sessions or locks cleanly. And yes yer nuts. That's two votes from IT guys.

Doesn't apply to a mouse but yer 'puter might not be happy.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
I usually perform safe withdrawl but lately I have been yanking...

Seriously, is this about thumb drives....:thumb::eek:

rover67
08-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Seriously, is this about thumb drives....:thumb::eek:

Hey Davis, that method is unreliable... you shoulda learned that in your high school sex ed class.... :D

RedCreeper
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Thumb drives, yeah I yank and go. If the machine can't deal with it that's an IT guy's problem. Good thing I'm not an IT guy.

Caveat emptor: I know the ramifications...

I had an industrial design prof once say that if technology can't adapt to us and we have to adapt to technology, then we've lost the whole reason for the industrial revolution which was to make our lives easier. So I refuse to spend much effort interfacing with things on what I feel are not my terms (extremely subjective). This is why I do not have a digital SLR and prefer to stick with my old Nikon FM3a. The interface for me is intuitive and beautifully simple, giving me what I need to make an image without clutter or sensory overload.

OTOH, I put up with it in my radios because there are measurable size and performance improvements with a modern radio over much more simple radios 20 years ago. So sometimes there aren't realistic options. I do try and tailor interfaces on things to be as simple as possible in those cases.

I've long ago acknowledged that I am a neo-luddite despite being in some small part of the reason for the complexity in our world.

HUH!??? from a IT guy...

Lars
08-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Yank that darn thing out!!!!

You shouldn’t have any problems unless you are running Windows 95 or Me, or 2000. XP, Vista and 7 should be able to handle it just fine

FJBRADY
08-11-2010, 04:57 PM

:lmao:

farnhamstj
08-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Yanker.

Romer
08-11-2010, 09:48 PM

Thats what happens after two kids ...................um use your computer, yeah right:D

pmccumber
08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Well, I can tell you with storage media, you should probably "Safely Remove" if you've been writing to it. If you've been simply reading it, no harm at all.

What happens is a device driver may or may not have flushed to the actual device. "Safe" removal ensures that the flush happens and is closed.

This is especially true in Linux. Something like a mouse that has nothing to write, who cares?

Now I don't think it is much of an issue at all anymore but if some of you are using older OS or something that you haven't updated, you should watch.

It is easy for me to remember. What is hard for me is to actually not explicitly mount drives and unmount them. But that is just because I prefer good old fashioned primitive environments.

pmccumber
08-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, I can tell you with storage media, you should probably "Safely Remove" if you've been writing to it. If you've been simply reading it, no harm at all.

What happens is a device driver may or may not have flushed to the actual device. "Safe" removal ensures that the flush happens and is closed.

This is especially true in Linux. Something like a mouse that has nothing to write, who cares?

Now I don't think it is much of an issue at all anymore but if some of you are using older OS or something that you haven't updated, you should watch.

It is easy for me to remember. What is hard for me is to actually not explicitly mount drives and unmount them. But that is just because I prefer good old fashioned primitive environments.

84cruzer
08-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I void warranties :D

RedCreeper
08-12-2010, 01:35 AM
What? I hate complexity that is unnecessary. If I have to go through some convoluted sequence to do something that should be simple, I'll probably not do it right.

The nature of my work (I'm an embedded systems hardware engineer doing high reliability aerospace applications) is very complex and I do very intimately know why safe removal is supposedly needed and the roots of potential corruption.

But on the PCs, well, I just don't care.

I remember years ago when Windows first came out Microsoft had a huge problem with people corrupting their file system because they weren't doing a shut down before powering off. Before Windows you just flipped the power switch and DOS didn't care. Eventually Windows was modified so that if you didn't shutdown at least it could recover. Now the power button is a soft switch that sends the shut down command and deactivates the power via relay, the way it should be. Simple for the user, the machine adapts to the human.

So it is with thumb drives. You shove the sucker in, so the obvious reverse is to just yank the sucker out. I mean they figured out auto-mounting volumes like a million years ago, so what's odd with auto-unmounting them, too?

Um er OK..... :lmao:

This is why I avoid PCs. (Piece o Crap) Love my MAC network. Not as complicated. So just yanker er out...... Stop with the details... YANK!!! When all else fales.... REBOOT!! :cheers:

RedCreeper
08-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Were still talking puters right?

simps80
08-12-2010, 08:51 AM
if nobody is watching I just yank it out

if someone's watching I am a safe remover

leiniesred
08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I have actually LOST data yanking A USB drive out. I'm a safely-remover now.

nattybumppo
08-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I yank it every chance I get.

pmccumber
08-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Um er OK..... :lmao:

This is why I avoid PCs. (Piece o Crap) Love my MAC network. Not as complicated. So just yanker er out...... Stop with the details... YANK!!! When all else fales.... REBOOT!! :cheers:

You have to "Safely Remove" on a Mac too. Here is a link discussing it:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=599418 or this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080910152107AAywwdm

There are many more threads on it and it makes sense.

If you are WRITING to a media, the computer has to know when you are done writing. If you force the media to close the device incessantly, which is the only way this could make it safe to just yank it at any time, it would be a drain on the system. Now, most PCs, even fancy PCs like Macs, do close out a filehandle after a write but that isn't guaranteed. Even on a Mac.

It doesn't make it a POS, it is understanding how the system works.

60wag
08-13-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm a safe remover and yes, Macs have the same issue. There 'otta be a button near the USB port that you push to safely remove rather than mousing to a screen option.

RedCreeper
08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
You have to "Safely Remove" on a Mac too. Here is a link discussing it:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=599418 or this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080910152107AAywwdm

There are many more threads on it and it makes sense.

If you are WRITING to a media, the computer has to know when you are done writing. If you force the media to close the device incessantly, which is the only way this could make it safe to just yank it at any time, it would be a drain on the system. Now, most PCs, even fancy PCs like Macs, do close out a filehandle after a write but that isn't guaranteed. Even on a Mac.

It doesn't make it a POS, it is understanding how the system works.

Sorry. The PoC comment does not come just because of this issue. And yes i do agree all has to be removed safely but working on both systems for a long time the MACs are far less problematic and have way less issues. I have or had one PC at work here and rebuilt it more time than i can count (which is not much i know) and we finally got rid of it and got a MAC for that sales person. Sorry if i offended the PC users.