PDA

View Full Version : Schofield / Devils Punch Bowl in an 80?

rock_wagon
08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Anyone run the Devils Punch Bowl in an 80 recently?

I have heard it can be done but there is also a lot of hype about this trail only being suited for narrow wheelbase vehicles.

I am planning on running it next week, any suggestions from those that have driven a larger vehicle through this section?

Thanks!

ttubb
08-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Anyone run the Devils Punch Bowl in an 80 recently?

I have heard it can be done but there is also a lot of hype about this trail only being suited for narrow wheelbase vehicles.

I am planning on running it next week, any suggestions from those that have driven a larger vehicle through this section?

Thanks!

Done it in a 80 and a 40 and doing it again in a 4Runner this Sunday. It is narrow and wheel placement is critical, but it can be done safely. I would walk up if coming from the bottom to ensure no one is coming down before starting up. Send someone from your rig if possible as you don't want to have to back down. Also, I would avoid it if it is wet. T

ttubb
08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
A bunch of us are doing it this weekend. Here is the thread...

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13106

Cmon along! :cheers:

corsair23
08-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Done it in a 80 and a 40 and doing it again in a 4Runner this Sunday. It is narrow and wheel placement is critical, but it can be done safely.

Terry...You know the rule! No pictures means it never happened :hill:

ttubb
08-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Terry...You know the rule! No pictures means it never happened :hill:

Last year....tt

Ric
08-12-2010, 08:32 PM
I did it last summer in the 04 4runner, I think they are the same width..

whats the story with the jeep ?

ttubb
08-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I did it last summer in the 04 4runner, I think they are the same width..

whats the story with the jeep ?

It was a rental, with the keys still in the ignition! Don't really know what happened. T

84cruzer
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Details:
http://www.schofieldpass.com/61/rolled-jeep-schofield-pass-road/

Ric
08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
woow wonder what that was thinking/doing ?? and thankx for posting the link, never knew there was a boy still missing in the Devils Punchbowl, crazy.

Anyways, Im sure you will be fine, it is a little tight in spots, and if there is traffic coming towards you/your group, it can take a minute lol but its not bad as people build it up.

corsair23
08-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Last year....tt

:thumb: - I remember that now seeing the flopped Jeep

Great pictures. Why do pictures always make it look easier/less intimidating than in person :hill:

pmccumber
08-13-2010, 07:11 AM
There is a trailhead at the east end very near the pass itself that heads up to Frigid Air Pass and West Maroon Pass. This hike is the best flower hike I've ever been on. If you hike for about 10-15 minutes you'll pop out into a very long meadow that just rolls for a couple miles. And it is just solid flowers. You can stand in spots, many of them, and there will be hundreds of columbine within 25 yards. And if you were a little more ambitious, hiking up to Frigid Air Pass gets about the best vista of The Bells there is. If you hiked for 30 minutes you would probably only pick up a couple hundred feet and then it is very mellow until the push to the passes.

rock_wagon
08-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Great info - Thanks! We are headed up to the CB area for a few days of Mnt Biking, hopefully run through the punch bowl on Thursday.:cheers:

wesintl
08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
its not bad as people build it up.

Dude it's f'n CRAZY. rolled jeeps and all.

;)

Ron Helmuth
08-19-2010, 11:06 PM
hard to believe that Jeep is still there-essentially intact...any closer to this metro area it would have been stripped bare by now.

ttubb
08-20-2010, 07:07 AM
hard to believe that Jeep is still there-essentially intact...any closer to this metro area it would have been stripped bare by now.

Actually, it is gone. Those pics were from last year.....
We just did it Sunday. :hill:

Bruce Miller
08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Years ago, when the Triple Bypass trip included Schofield Pass, I backed our FJ60 down the shelf road above the punch bowl in order to put a strap on Deanís pickup. He somehow managed to put his rear wheels off the edge of the shelf road while blocking the road with the front half of his truck leaving no room for anyone to get passed him. I was leading and Dean was following me. We thought a strap would keep Dean out of further trouble but gave little thought to the danger of backing down that part of the trail. The scary part of backing down was driving around the big rock in the road about half way up. From the photos on this post, it looks like the road may be a bit rougher than it was back then, maybe due to the popularity of quads on 4X4 trails today.

ttubb
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Years ago, when the Triple Bypass trip included Schofield Pass, I backed our FJ60 down the shelf road above the punch bowl in order to put a strap on Deanís pickup. He somehow managed to put his rear wheels off the edge of the shelf road while blocking the road with the front half of his truck leaving no room for anyone to get passed him. I was leading and Dean was following me. We thought a strap would keep Dean out of further trouble but gave little thought to the danger of backing down that part of the trail. The scary part of backing down was driving around the big rock in the road about half way up. From the photos on this post, it looks like the road may be a bit rougher than it was back then, maybe due to the popularity of quads on 4X4 trails today.

Bruce, we missed you and Barb this year! Wes did a great job of leading, but I hope you don't stay away too long. :o Terry

Beater
08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
I have to say - I missed the miller company as well.

I agree that it was a lot more "scree-ish" than I remember that area being. FWIW, the t100 is considerably larger than an 80, and about the same with as Terry's offset wheel's on his 4runner.

I was within 4-6 inches more than once with my long wheelbase.