PDA

View Full Version : Skiing Rocker ski's tele

powderpig
08-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Ok, I want to get some new skis this year, read lots of great info on the Volkl Mantra ski(not so interested any more, made in China, I could rant about this, but will not, but really disapointed in Volkl:().
Will be mounted with Hammer heads(only way to fly:eek:)
So has any Pin heads here in the Rising sun skiied or demo or has a set of Rockered skis that work well for every thing( I have in the past believe that you need a quiver, But my old Atomic's come close to a one quiver ski).
I know we have a few pin head around and I do want to ski more this winter than the past. I wish I had the time and money to do what I did in my 20's and 30's, where skiing and climbing was more a part of my life.
Maybe when I win the Lotto:D
I also hope to ski with a few folks this coming winter. :thumb:

Gmann
08-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I did not know you were a Pinhead like myself! I have demo'ed myself and heard lots of good things about the Mantra. It is a great powerfull ski and works well as a tele, if you can overlook the China issue. Curently I am riding the K2 Anti Piste. This ski is very similar in feel to the Mantra but still made in china. I have a pair of K2 Pontoons with Hammerheads and I love them in any type of soft snow. They have loads of rocker/ reverse camber and nearly impossible to make telemark turns on hardpack or groomers with but rip up the groomers with alpine turns. I have also demo'ed the K2 Seth which has rocker only. They are fun and definately more reasonable as a resort tele board and would skin reasonably well. With ski technology these days I would make a strong campaign for all mountain rockered telemark ski as the way to go. The turn initiation is amazingly easy and quick in softer snow and you do not loose much in performance on the hardpark. As a 12yr pinhead and former Vail Ski Patroller I have tried lots of different setups. :blah::blah:
-Now Im itching for some snow and its mid August.:cheers:

Ok, I want to get some new skis this year, read lots of great info on the Volkl Mantra ski(not so interested any more, made in China, I could rant about this, but will not, but really disapointed in Volkl:().
Will be mounted with Hammer heads(only way to fly:eek:)
So has any Pin heads here in the Rising sun skiied or demo or has a set of Rockered skis that work well for every thing( I have in the past believe that you need a quiver, But my old Atomic's come close to a one quiver ski).
I know we have a few pin head around and I do want to ski more this winter than the past. I wish I had the time and money to do what I did in my 20's and 30's, where skiing and climbing was more a part of my life.
Maybe when I win the Lotto:D
I also hope to ski with a few folks this coming winter. :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
08-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey Robbie,

I am on Black Diamond Verdicts from 2008. They are really really great. very turny in the bumps and hold a great line in all conditions. Pretty stout, which is surprising how turny they are.

They were written up in many of the mags as the testers choice.

I am in G3 bindings and they are crap, imho..The skis are too much for them and I have broken them twice.

Hammerheads are by far superior, just been spending all my money on off-road stuff.

If it were me, I would make 2 phone calls. I would call the folks at the BentGate in Golden, as they are super knowledgeable and pretty much a teleshop in the winter..Also I would call Jen at the Alpineer in Crested Butte.

Jen has been my personal tester/shopper for tele skis the last 7 seasons and she knows her stuff.

I found a pair of the Verdicts on line a few months ago and almost pulled the trigger but mine are not in that bad of shape because I only have a handful of days on them the last two seasons..

nicholasandrews
08-19-2010, 12:23 AM
I work for Vail ski resort and am always looking for people to go skiing with. I don't tele (am on twin tips) but pretty much enjoy going anywhere on the mountain.

BreckBJ44
08-19-2010, 01:34 AM
I tele the Mantra right now and love them. They are my one ski quiver and I lived in Breck for 10 years. I have heard great things about rockered skis, but even out here, you still need to take a groomer home. ;-)

Mine are 184 with rottafellas if you want to take them for a spin when the snow flies.

K

Caribou Sandstorm
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
hmm, I see a Silverton run brewing for the RS skiers in 2010/11......

Caribou Sandstorm
08-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Robbie, you might also want to consider ski instructing at one of the resorts...You really only have to do 1-2 days a week, you will get smokin bro deals on gear, you don't have to be certified right out of the gate, as long as you are working toward that..Family skis for free, you ski for free at sister facilities....

With your background in growing up in Alaska, over landing/Lead driver training/First aid and Trail Teams, and responsible family guy, You fit the demographics really well for that..Actually you could do ski patrol rather well but I am not sure you get the same family benefits..

I coached and instructed snowboarding at Winter Park for 8 seasons. I worked in the comp center, ski school and buffalo programs.. I would be happy to introduce you to the folks a Winter Park, if your interested.

coax
08-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I've been skiing on rossi t4's and axl's and megabangs/g3's for the last number of years (I don't think either of those are considered rockered); before I decided to stick with them I was gonna go with some of the icelantic's, mostly because they are made in denver and I wanted to keep the business local. Plus they also have some nice fat skis and in recent years are now in a reasonably long length (I ski a 195) :)

coax
08-19-2010, 09:08 AM

I'm in. Skied there last season...loved it.

Man Jerk
08-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Depending on timing (baby due in mid-november) I would be in on this. No tele for me but I don't discriminate :)

powderpig
08-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Cool, thanks for all the hints. I would love to do a Silverton Run, but want to be in shape for that.
In looking at skis, I see a bunch of new names, Icelandic was one. I will need look more out of the big box companies I see.
Chris, I did the ski patrol stuff at a small resort in Cal when I was going to school( 3 years, lots of First aide practice). First pin head to pass Far West cert's in the early 90's. Did my ski test at Mammoth Mt under the gondola. It was a hoot. Ski patrol is fun, but with the way most patrols are treated, low pay, demand a bunch of time and most really do not get to ski as much, it was not worth the time(IMHO). Better to pay to ski(at least for me, time for fun is valuable).
teaching may be a thing, Maybe.
Anyhow, I know winter is a bit off yet, but the other day temps got down to the 40's here at the house and it started me thinking. I have already started hiking the hill behind the house to work on legs and breathing(nice 800 vert hill).
Not trying to make winter come early, but want to start planning it to have some fun this winter.
Again, thanks for the info and the offers to take your ski for a ride some time.
I also will be up for BC some this year, I have old Orthovox(real old, 80's stuff). Will be looking to get a new version of something that works with the mordern stuff.
Again any info on new Beacons would be welcomed.
Robbie

powderpig
08-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Dave do not discount how you ski or your equipment, it is about the passion(commitment and getting out to have fun), and what you bring to your experience, I have seen you write about your passion for skiing (loveland especially). I look forward to skiing with a many of you this year.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Sounds good, your a natural for the resort jobs..When you decide if it is for you again.. I liked it when my 16 year old was younger because we were on the hill every week for years..But I stopped for just what you mentioned quality time/fun with the family.

Melinda and I noticed a slight change a few mornings ago, nice and cool..We looked at each other at said "hmm, fall is coming!" My favorite time of year.

For Beacons, I have the first version of the DTS tracker by BCA, seems like a lot of Beacons have gone in their direction of signal modulation and directional find features.

There is a newer version out, as well. You can use mine anytime you want.

Maybe we could get a group together sometime and head over to second Creek off of Berthoud, train with our beacons and check out snow conditions, slabs, wind load, etc..

Do you have skins? Dumb question, I would bet money you do..

DanS
08-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Robbie:

The biggest (and by FAR the best) ski bums I know are my Aunt and Uncle in Pagosa Springs. They always had a pretty nice quiver for all they did. Two or three years ago they ditched everything and each own a set of Workstinx. They use them for backcountry, cross country, and of course free-heeled hippy-stickin'

And if you're interested in maybe doing the ski instructor thing a touch closer to home, my sister did that for quite a while at Breckenridge and Eldo, and still does Eldo part time (or did last year). I'm sure I could get you some folks to talk to there...

I'm not sure if I can justify spending the money on a pass anywhere this year, so I very well may be playing the Berthoud card a LOT this year. Hey, if it was good enough for my grandparents back in the day...

It is indeed getting to be that time of year...

Dan

wesintl
08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
You really don't want a full rocker like pontoon in anything less than knee, waist deep. the partial rocker in the tip is nice and akin to what early fat skis were to skinny skiis. They will work well in any condition.

Check out iclandic nomad or pilgrim, made right here in denver.

nattybumppo
08-19-2010, 11:43 AM
I ski th Mantras alpine, great one-quiver ski, but mine re still German made ones. I tele the Volkl T-Roll and it works great. Most of my skiing is at Loveland. I have a pair of twice used El Hombre teles and they are great in the deep and steep, but for my 220# are not enough for the groomers, so I'll be craigslisting them. Another good tele shop in Denver is Confluence Kayak (they go tele for the winter season). They have some Mantras from last year cheap, as well as hammerheads and other good gear. Might be worth a visit. They are right next to Vitamin Cottage at Platte Street and 15th, just across the river from downtown.

60wag
08-19-2010, 12:09 PM
My quiver of one is K2 Super Stinx with Rottafella releasable bindings. I love the skis. The bindings... not so much. After doing some damage to my left knee last year, I'm wondering how this season will shape up. Hopefully the tele skis will get some use but if the knee doesn't cooperate, the snowboard might end up being the primary snow tool.

coax
08-19-2010, 12:51 PM
You really don't want a full rocker like pontoon in anything less than knee, waist deep.

x2. I was strongly considering going with the shaman from icelantic because its got both a very fat tip, and does well in the hardpack. I ski mostly BC in RMNP, and the snow most days is bulletproof. Too much rocker on that stuff would be painful.

If you haven't checked it out the telemarktips website occasionally has some good reviews and good forum posts, though most are completely off topic. Got to ski with the guys that run TT's a few years back in Mamoth...it was a hoot.

As for beacons, an upgrade definitely sounds like a good idea. :thumb: I upgraded my Ortovox M2's to Pieps DSP a few years back, and have been happy with the DSP. I'm not up on the newest tech, but for the price I'd take a hard look at the tracker 2.

FJBRADY
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Oh yeah I am in, that's if you let in a token snowboarder! Don't dig the terain parks yo, guess to old, I like to cruise the pow pow:thumb:

While we are at it Wolf Creek too:D

nicholasandrews
08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm in for a silverton or wolf creek day!

FJBRADY
08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
This is what I am thinking.

Leave town on Wednesday, ski Monarch on Th, Wolf Creek on Fr and Silverton on Sat., head back Sun moteling each night along the way in between.....

Man Jerk
08-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Keep your eyes peeled on www.steepandcheap.com

Basically a deal at a time website for ski gear. Occasionally they have beacons on there for 50-75% off. Not to mention all the other stuff you will want to spend your money on.

I haven't been able to spend the money on a rockered ski yet, but I just got a set of K2 AK Enemys which are my 1st pair of "wide" skis (110mm) which I'm anxious to try out.

rover67
08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
www.tramdock.com is more specific to ski gear.

www.brociety.com is more for snowboarding

www.whiskeymilitia.com kinda more clothes but has helmets n stuff.

I'm a boarder but i'd love to hang with you knuckle draggers sometime.

Man Jerk
08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
That's odd, I'm sure I posted again with the tramdock site...

A good site to watch all of the deal at a time sites is

www.gearbum.net

Gmann
08-19-2010, 07:24 PM

Leave town on Wednesday, ski Monarch on Th, Wolf Creek on Fr and Silverton on Sat., head back Sun moteling each night along the way in between.....

Not meaning to keep changing the subject but I completely agree with the statement above. If we nail it on a good snow cycle, it could be sweet.
-Lets go make some turns.

As for my views on skis, they are slightly skewed abit due to terrain and skiing style. My thought on width for all mountain type riding are stick to 95-100mm underfoot minimum. If your skinning i can justify going skinnier for some conditions, distance and terrain. The Pontoons only come out with 7+ inches of new and not skin friendly.:D

ROBBIE -- I feel the Mantra would be a great choice for you if it were made in the US.
My suggestion for you would be to go with a ski at least 95mm underfoot with a layer of metal in the construction. I think all wood core skis like K2's would be to noodly for you, you would over power them. I know I have not skied with you but I have a good idea based on the background you mentioned earlier. I think you push your equipment, within reason. Rocker is fun and helps the initiation of the turn in the soft snow but dont get new boards just cause they have rocker. Feel free to pick my brain on any options you come up with.

powderpig
08-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Funny you would say I push equipment Brent, I have spit ski from tip to tail in half down the center of the ski, I use to torsenally rip the old merril Comp boots, in 10 days of skiing(on a very small part of my season back then). It was a god send when Scarpa and BD got together and worked on the plastic boot(i was lucky to comp a pair for a season).
fun to watch the guys racing Tele cut apline boards down and work with steel door hinges to make Apline boot bend at the ball of the foot. Fun day those were.
Metal can be good, but if ski's bend, they will(had too many of those in the past). I do not like bumps much, but do have some fun in them. Powderpig is from skiing, not from playing with cruisers in snow LOL.
If I could afford a set of ski(And I just may), I am considering the DPS carbon Ski in the Wailer in the 95 or 105 (yea I spent way too much time on the net today).
Maybe a Icelandic in the nomadic, Anyhow still on the search to replace my old Kongor's that still have some life in them.
Yes, I ski fall line, skis work best when at sped and you work the natural flex for which they are designed.

Dave, grins are what snow is for, giving us the ability to laugh at one's self. I have laughed a bunch at the funny stuff I have lived through.
cool thread, I think as well, if I could work a Hall pass, a good ski trip through some epic snow is just what the Doctor ordered. Nothing like powder to make a person grin from ear to ear, if you can see the person grin with a snorkle in his mouth.

Jacket
08-19-2010, 10:04 PM
BTW, I only tele but I suck.

x2 on the suck part. I picked it up when the kids started, but never really got passionate about it. As soon as they were good enough, I ditched the Stinx to get back on my Burton.

BreckBJ44
08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm in on silverton. They get hit early, but I still would like to get a few resort days to get the shakes out of the system.

P.S. I'm still looking for a few people to share the house in Breck!

wesintl
08-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Schweeet! make it a week! monarch, CB, Telluride, silverton, WC, Taos :D

all the best ski areas in the state -1/2 and +1 in NM

wesintl
10-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Volkl Mantra ski(not so interested any more, made in China, I could rant about this, but will not, but really disapointed in Volkl:().

the gotama's are made in china the mantra's are made in germany. I dunno about last years stuff...