PDA

View Full Version : Empty Propane tanks/barrels

rover67
08-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Howdy Folks,

Well, after 10 years of trying to make off the shelf smokers work I am going to just build my own.

I am looking for a few tanks that will work. I know there are lots of plans for 55gallon drum type smokers but I am looking for containers made of heavier steel since the thinner metal dosen't hold heat the same.

Looking for stuff like old rusty propane tanks.. one for the fire box (maybe a 40# cylinder) and another bigger one for the actual smoker. Any ideas? not looking for something huge.. maybe something in the 3 foot long range for the main part that is a foot and a half or so in diameter.

suggestions for junk yards with this kind of crap are also welcome...

I was gonna try to call a few propane places and see if they had anything assuming they'd sell it to me.

cheap is key also.. don't want to have a ton of money tied up in it.

Thanks!

Convert
08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Not cheap but man do the work well http://www.traegergrills.com/?gclid=CLWejtyoxKMCFQVcagodjRy6Zw

rover67
08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
I have some things I want to do specifically for heat/smoke control so I want to start from scratch.. but dang those do look nice.

nakman
08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
What about that big arse stove that Martin's friends need help cutting out? Couldn't that be turned into a sweet smoker? the price is right.. :smokin:

Beater
08-19-2010, 09:47 AM
go to a remnant pipe supplier, like adams city steel and use something like 2ft schd 40. it'll be heavy, but it'll work. 4" for your xfer and smokestack. My neighbor made one like this.

MDH33
08-19-2010, 10:07 AM
What about that big arse stove that Martin's friends need help cutting out? Couldn't that be turned into a sweet smoker? the price is right.. :smokin:

That probably could work! You could smoke a whole hog in that sucker. :D

rover67
08-19-2010, 10:57 AM
go to a remnant pipe supplier, like adams city steel and use something like 2ft schd 40. it'll be heavy, but it'll work. 4" for your xfer and smokestack. My neighbor made one like this.

I'll check it out, that's a great Idea.

That probably could work! You could smoke a whole hog in that sucker. :D

you think that this might be a possibility?

MDH33
08-19-2010, 11:29 AM
you think that this might be a possibility?

Yeah, I suggested letting whomever cut it up haul it away for scrap. There's a lot of big pieces of useable plate in that thing. If you were careful how it was cut, you could weld it back together pretty easily I would think.

I'm going to email them and get some pics. I'll send them to you when I get them.

timmbuck2
08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
my trailer smoker I use for my BBQ I sell at Farmer's Markets on the weekend is made from a boiler off an old steam tractor. VERY heavy, but big enough for a whole hog easily. I did not build it, so I need to tweak a few things, but very thick and holds heat very well. Heck just sitting in the sun the temp gauges read over 150! :)

Rezarf
08-22-2010, 11:16 PM
I have no idea where you can find something like this Marco, but if you need a taste tester of the final product... I'm your huckleberry! :D

rover67
10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Finished the smoker tonight... well.. pretty much. I have to add the wood handles on the firebox and chamber door.

I made a pipe burner for the fire box out of 1 1/4" black pipe and a brass venturi. Man it burns well. For now I'll just use it to light logs, but as I get it all sorted i'll add a thermostat, igniter, pilot light, and valve so it'll keep temp automatically.

Anyways, I'm really happy with how it turned out. cooking surface is about 30"x18" and the fire box fits full logs.

The Smoke chamber is a piece of an old ski lift support pole from Keystone. Altitude steel had all the poles so I got them to cut me a 3' long piece. It was 20" in diameter and 1/4" thick so it was about perfect. The firebox I built out of plates cut to 20"x20".

I'm off to get some veggie oil to get the inside seasoned.

AShoe
10-03-2010, 07:55 PM
That looks awesome!

LARGEONE
10-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Marco...that is soooo sweet! I want to check it out sometime! Very nice job!

rover67
10-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys!

I just hose it down with oil on the inside and fired it up with a few logs in it, it drafts nice!

powderpig
10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I had no idea you were such a good craftsman. Looks very nice Marco.