PDA

View Full Version : Kids Car Seats

Corbet
08-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Almost time to move Bridger into a forward facing car seat. He will be a year old soon. He is currently 20lbs 31" tall and crying. What seat/s do you with kids have. Right now I'm looking at this one.

Sunshine Kids Radian XLSL

http://carseats.babycatalog.com/infant-to-toddler-convertible-car-seats/radianxt-sl-car-seat/rxtsl.html

corsair23
08-19-2010, 06:16 PM
We're up to booster seats now (yeah :hill:) but prior to that we went with whatever got a decent Consumer Reports rating at the time, didn't have a recall against it, and didn't break the bank. Easier when you only have one and can center them in the middle rear area. Once he gets to booster seat size put him on the DS door...I think the statistics are that the DS is the lesser of the two sides to get hit because you tend to NOT pull out in front of people on your side :)

Or you could take my SIL's approach...Buy a super expensive car seat that doesn't end up fitting in your existing car so go out and trade your fairly new car in for one that the car seat will fit in :hill:

Corbet
08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I've already put this thing in the 80 and it fits good. I did not try it in the middle but the PS rear. I'll try consumer reports but I don't subscribe.

edit: got onto consumer reports with friends password. They did not test this seat or any other from Sunshine Kids.

Hulk
08-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Most car seats are decent. All of them (new) will be plenty safe. The thing to do is buckle your kid in it and see how hard it is to get all the buckles snapped and the straps adjusted. Some are way easier than others. You'll do and undo those buckles thousands of times, so this is a key thing to consider. Add a fidgety kid to the mix and the difficult ones become near impossible. We had one car seat we just hated because of this.

corsair23
08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
I've already put this thing in the 80 and it fits good. I did not try it in the middle but the PS rear. I'll try consumer reports but I don't subscribe.

edit: got onto consumer reports with friends password. They did not test this seat or any other from Sunshine Kids.

x2 what Hulk says...

IIRC all of the car seats we had were Graco's that we bought from Wally World or BabiesRUs etc. We'd tote the kiddos down to the store and test them out and see what they fit in best and what ones we liked best.

Here is a Graco (I assume it is a recent version) that seems to get good reviews: LINK (http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/fr/graco_my_ride_65_review.htm)

As for position...We always put the seat in the center until the second one came along...Then one had to go on one side and as I recall the safest "side" is the driver's side. In the 80 though you don't have a point for the rear tether in the middle seat. Now the oldest sits on the PS with no seat and the youngest sits in her booster on the DS.