PDA

View Full Version : Ultraguage

coax
08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
So, there's a thread for the ultraguage started on Mud. Looks very tempting as I've been wanting a scanguage for a while but haven't had the cash (especially after my last Cdan order).

I'm kinda thinking of trying it out, but I don't have a paypal account (don't want one) and I'm not gonna enter in my CC info to that site. :eek:

So...figured I'd throw this out there if anyone with a paypal account is thinking of ordering one, and would be willing to order 2, I'll pay cash plus a 6pack so I don't have to sign up for paypal. Yes even though I work with computers for a living I am a bit paranoid about most online financial stuff :borg:

Corey

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/408002-cheap-scangauge-ii-alternative.html#post5810188
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Currently would run about 60 bucks and the offer is good for another 2 days.

corsair23
08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Did you order one? I have the Scangauge II but I've seen several threads on this thing now and wonder how it works.

coax
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
No I pansied out. I figure for an extra 10 bucks I can wait to see how the reviews come back on mud. If its looks decent its still only 80 bucks or whatnot and a registration with paypal.

corsair23
08-23-2010, 04:33 PM
PayPal is pretty harmless Corey :) - Many of us have been using it for years with no problems.

The only problem I've ever had has been with their "dispute" process and trying to get $$ back from a bum seller. In the end I reverted to disputing the PayPal charge with my credit card company :D

TIMZTOY
08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
I use paypal for every transaction online ebcauee they have there buyers backs ! If u dispute a calim they contact the seller and he has like 24-48 hours to respond to paypal or paypal will give you your money back on there pocket. And then charge the seller so that the next time he/she logs in. They have a fee they have to pay. (or something along those lines) I've never had Issuee getting my money or item from a seller when using paypal.

corsair23
08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
[rant on]

Don't put too much faith in the dispute process...At least in my case it was like :banghead:

Scenario: You buy a lot of stuff from one ebay seller that they "combine" into one shipment. Not only is a fair amount of the stuff broken crap (despite their auction description) but they don't ship one of the items. Seller agrees, in writing via email, that the stuff they sold was crap and the description was bad and that they failed to send one of the items. Then seller stops replying after stating they would refund $$ for the crap and the non-shipped items.

So, I approach PayPal to dispute the claim after the seller stopped responding and didn't follow through with their promises via email. PayPal "investigates" and states they can do nothing until I have a tracking number showing I have shipped back the item that was never shipped to me in the first place :confused: - This goes on for over a month and despite forwarding them copies of the emails from the company etc. as proof. And you can forget about actually talking to someone intelligent.

Bottom line IMO is to ALWAYS use a CC when using PayPal with an unknown party because in the end it was my CC company that got me back my money, not PayPal. IMO PayPal was more interested in continuing their good relationship (and money flow from) this large company than they were with my dispute.

[/rant off]

coax
08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
:eek: Maybe what I need to do is go to Safeway, buy one of those "gift credit cards", pay the few dollars in fee, and use that to buy it. Benefit would be there would be no stolen card, no paypal, etc. Downside is contesting that charge would not be viable if for some reason the product was not shipped or defective.

corsair23
08-24-2010, 03:59 PM
:hill:

PayPal works just fine...seriously :) - I'm still using it despite what happened I'm just a lot more careful of who I buy from.

Corbet
08-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Back on track, anyone in RS use the Ultragauge yet?

pmccumber
08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I ordered one over the weekend. I'll give it a shot when I get it. Or give it to Robbie to let him put it through its paces.

Anybody wanna make a gauge with me? I would like to make something that pushes a wireless network and then people could just use their phones to connect and page through the system.

I think we could save money on not having an LCD which has to be half the cost. Use a puny little microcontroller that costs $1.12. Just need a chip that does the networking and I think they hafta to be very cheap cuz I can get a complete wireless router (with power supply) for $25.

I looked at the OBDII spec and it looks really simple. I would need an EE to build the prototype and cable. The cool thing I think is the thing would do the OBDII stuff AND it would set up a LAN in your car. With a little bit of effort, it could be configured as a router when there is another network present. I also wonder what we could do to support some OBDI features? I'd share the cost of building a prototype if anyone is interested.

Since the interface is essentially going to be a web server, it could possibly serve all sorts of things if there were enough persistent memory (SD slot?).

Don't think we would get rich off it but you never know, it might pay some bills.

coax
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
I've also thought about the same thing, though not via wireless but instead just obd2 via usb cable to iphone. Looks like for a non-ee like me it would be pretty tough to make such a cable. However, after consulting google I came across this link:

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

Not cheap to go that route, as its 150 for the wireless transmitter, and then 40 bucks for the app. Still, at a grand total of 190 its not horrible. Though would be nice to figure out how to make one of the wireless transmitters. I like the idea of using the iphone instead of another screen.

The one thing I really liked about the ultragauge was the ability to set alarms. Looks like Rev may do "redlines" for some gauges.

What all do you think would be involved in creating a wireless transmitter for obd2? (As an afterthought, the one thing I didn't like about a number of these gauges was pulling power from the obd plug. I wonder how hard it would be to get 12v say from the cig lighter instead of the power pin from obd plug, such that when you turn off the car you kill power to the unit, be it a ultra guage or a wireless controller. That way you can leave it plugged in, but not have wireless on all the time. Or drain your battery if you leave town. )

pmccumber
08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
This product you found is integrated nicely with an iPhone app. I'm more interested in simply serving up an http get/post interface and let somebody, anybody develop Android or iPhone apps around that.

I think the h/w could be done pretty cheap. If you think about the router in your house that costs $38 at BestBuy, I'm intending almost the same thing. It has a microcontroller in it because it serves the little web interface that you use to set it up. The car app could be even cheaper because it doesn't have all those CAT5 interfaces. Now the cable for the OBDII is something different that may drive cost but that price point is right in line with what it *should* be.

nakman
09-01-2010, 11:04 PM
two thumbs up for the Ultraguage.. :thumb: :thumb: I ordered one last weekend, it arrived today in time to toss in in the 80 and drive to the meeting. Within 2 blocks I was watching RPM's and intake air temps.. few things I haven't figured out yet, but I like it so far, some useful info and it's pretty simple to plug and play.. doubtful I'll leave it in any one vehicle all the time, it's neat how easy it is to install and mount, everything's included. So far so good, I'm liking this thing.

corsair23
09-02-2010, 01:33 AM
:cool: Tim

I think these and the Scangauge units are worth it just for the ability to monitor water temps. Price wise the Ultragauge seems to be a great value.

RicardoJM
09-02-2010, 08:04 AM
After seeing Nakman's Ultragauge last night - literally I could read the screen from my truck while he was parked next to me. I put my order in this morning.:thumb: