PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Ranger District Meeting 8/19/10

rover67
08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
John Clary and I made it to the BRD meeting last week.

Quick report:

Sounds like their season is really winding down... The signing project on Jenny Creek has been officially postponed until next year due to resourcing this year being unavailable.. Brian's position expired so he is not around anymore. They hope to replace him maybe in the end of October "ish" time frame if all goes well. Right now there just aren't enough of them to help the clubs and individuals do their projects. Sounds like next season we may get a little more of their time since the Beetle Kill project will be winding down. This year that's where a lot of their time/money was spent.

As far as cleanup on Jenny Creek and near Rollins pass goes, I gave them the update on the condition of the area and let them know that we would try to schedule something in the coming weeks. They are Ok with us going up there by ourselves and doing general cleanup and doing *minor* post stabilization as long as we let Cat know. They don't want us doing anything big without them.. but I honestly don't think it needs it. I have her email and will keep her up to date on any plans that we make. I know the season is getting late, but hopefully we can get something going to get up there if just for a day.

So here's the update on the area that I gave to the group:
When I was up there for the meteor shower I thought it looked really good. Campsites were nice and relatively clean, and the posts and cables were looking pretty good, and the BRD Rangers had just posted new stuff in the kiosk (which is also looking good). I think there were just a few posts that were looking kinda tilted. One of the other rangers mentioned that she had been up there before the big drift melted and did some tensioning on some of the loose cables which looks like it helped a lot. The meadow area looked like people were staying out of it and it had grown in a bit more since the last time I saw it.

We also hiked on and around the Boulder Wagon road. It was interesting to walk it all and see the gas pipeline. The wilderness boundary is signed as being to the north of the road right on the edge of it, and the pipeline was much smaller than I thought it'd be (10" diameter maybe). The pipeline is also a decent distance from the road which I thought was interesting.

Anyways, I let Cat know that we'd post something on the board and let her know when we were doing it just to keep her in the loop. I also sent her some pictures of the area so she could see. I am posting the pics here as well.

Martin, would you like to try and schedule a quick cleanup run up there before the first snow? I think it'd be an easy day for a group to head up there and clean up with a bonus run on Jenny Creek of course.

The last BRD Meeting is October 21st. after that I think they take a few months off during the winter before getting started again.

-Marco

rover67
08-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Pics, Sorry for the quantity, but I figured some folks might like to see what the pipeline is all about. Unfortunately I didn't take any closeups of the post and cable down low, or the meadow. They both looked good...

We walked up the BWR to the big open space from the Jenny Creek trail terminus.

1) Up and over, started kinda down again and we found the Gas Line.
2) Looking back toward where we came from, from the same spot.
3) Closeup of the gase line from a bit closer.
4) Looking back again from basically the same spot.
5) Farther down the road, headed to where the overlook is.

rover67
08-22-2010, 08:34 PM
more pics:

1) Random shot of one of the Wilderness Boundary Markers. It was on the north side of the road.
2) Headed down a bit farther, another shot of the Pipeline. This is about how close it gets.
3) Headed back to where we came from. Here was what looked like the old road closure.
4) Shot of the old sign.
5) Random sign near the road. The gas Line is really far away from it at this point. Getting near the big open area before heading back to where we started from.

rover67
08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Next to last batch.

1) Looking toward the Needles Eye Tunnel from the big open area. Zoomed in.
2) The big open area. It was nice up there and even on a busy day down below we were by ourselves.
3) In this shot you can see the Needles Eye Tunnel on the left, and the BWR winding it's way back up to the pass on the right. We hiked to about the low spot there.
4) Making our way back to the beginning. This is where that big heavy gate is blocking off the beginning of the BWR.
5) The kiosk.

rover67
08-22-2010, 08:55 PM
A few shots of the overlook. This was where we turned around on the BWR and walked back. I got the pictures out of order... sorry about that.

I love how perfectly constant the radius of the old railbed(current road) is.

jacdaw
08-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks Marco!

MDH33
08-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks for making the meeting guys. And thanks for posting u the great report Marco. :thumb:

corsair23
08-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for making the meeting guys. And thanks for posting u the great report Marco. :thumb:

x2 :thumb:

Uncle Ben
08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
x2 :thumb:

x3 :thumb::thumb: :bowdown:

rover67
08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
No Problem guys our pleasure. Figured I'd do a more complete report of the area since some of the membership maybe has not seen the upper portion of the area (like me).