PDA

View Full Version : GrizzlyLake & Iron Chest Labor Day Weekend

Air Randy
08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
For those of you not doing the Ouray run, were going to go down to the Buena Vista area Saturday 9/4 and camp. Were going to run Grizzly Lake on Sunday 9/5, camp Sunday night and run Iron Chest on Monday 9/6 before returning home. Anyone interested?

nattybumppo
08-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Randy, are these gnarly or doable in an open diff 40 with 33s?

FJBRADY
08-23-2010, 09:41 PM
doable in an open diff 40 with 33s?
Sure if Meanie straps you the whole way!:eek:

Check traildamage.com for pics and trail conditions. I have not run either, but I believe Iron Chest is a beast, relatively speaking of course.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-23-2010, 10:18 PM
When I hear Bill Morgan talk about Iron Chest, it sounds like one of those epic trails that needs to be on your bucket list...But I thought it was closed?

JadeRunner
08-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't want to try either in in an open rig. Remember they closed off and tightened up the pull off areas near Grizzly lake to discourage camping up there. There isn't much room to park up there now for groups. There are a few good camp sites up toward Pomeroy though (several miles past the Iron Chest trail head).

RedCreeper
08-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Check Front Range site also. They just did a trip up there i tink. Looks like fun for a locked rig.

RockRunner
08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
We might be but I might be doing Bill's bathroom then:D. I'll let you know.

Red_Chili
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Not if you is cheap and we is fast… :lmao:
Iron Chest as it turns out cannot be closed by the USFS as it is private. Of course the owners could close it but they haven't. Wouldn't try it in an open diff truck.

nuclearlemon
08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't remember grizzley as being too hard although there is a long shale hill climb with a dropoff on one side that can cause pucker factor. I wouldn't run it wet tho... When I did it at all4fun a few years back, an exploder slid off the trail and rolled 3 1/2 times into the meadow near the top of the trail. :0

Convert
08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
The obstacle at the start of Grizzly Lake coming out of the creek is quite difficult. I could not get the 80s big butt up it and had to pull cable

Air Randy
08-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Randy, are these gnarly or doable in an open diff 40 with 33s?

This will be my first trip to these trails, but based on the input of others and the traildamage rating it may be a bit much for you without a locker.

Grizzly Lake might be doable as it is rated 5-6 on the TrailDamage scale but Iron Chest is rated 6-8. Does a stock Wrangler come with a rear locker? Here are the descriptions:

Rating of 5: the highest challenge for a stock Jeep Wrangler without body damage, winching, or possible breakage. You may have to work on some of the bigger rocks and challenges, but you should make it through everything without too much trouble. You will need 4-Wheel Drive and you should not go alone.

Rating of 6: probably too much for a stock Jeep Wrangler, but perfect for one on 33" tires. These trails will provide challenges and fun for mildly modified vehicles as well as the bigger rigs, so they are perfect for mixed groups. There may be obstacles with many lines from easy to difficult.

Rating of 7: driver experience might make a big difference. Drivers new to wheeling a modified vehicle may want to learn on easier trails before moving up to ones with this rating. The obstacles may not be tougher if the right line is found, but a wrong line could be extremely difficult or dangerous. The possibility of rollovers and body damage is present, though almost all experienced drivers with modified vehicles should get through these trails without any issues.

Rating of 8: you may experience some body damage, and there is a high possibility of breakage. You may need to use a bit of momentum in an obstacle, and that often means a broken axle shaft or drive shaft. Experience will be helpful.

Tch2fly
08-24-2010, 07:23 PM
I ran Grizzly in my open 40 on 31s back in the mid 80's but ....

The obstacle at the start of Grizzly Lake coming out of the creek is quite difficult. I could not get the 80s big butt up it and had to pull cable

The ledge gets tougher all the time, depends a lot on the line ... straight at it or cut over from the left.
Here some ATV guys stacked rocks between the time I went up to when I came down...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/Grizzly%20Lake/griz10.jpg

The shelf road has one spot that might take some work with open axles
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/Grizzly%20Lake/griz3.jpg

as Bill said Iron Chest would not be one to try open.

Convert
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Tried several lines out of the creek there were no rocks stacked up. It was very wet and slick and the obstacle looked nothing like the pics Mike posted we were in there around the end of July ( thats a lot of rocks stacked cause the wall 3 foot plus)

Tch2fly
08-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Tried several lines out of the creek there were no rocks stacked up. It was very wet and slick and the obstacle looked nothing like the pics Mike posted we were in there around the end of July ( thats a lot of rocks stacked cause the wall 3 foot plus)

That pic is more than a year ago and is not a good representation of the current condition. I wish I could find the pics from when I used to go in my 40... not nearly as bad but like I said it keeps getting worse (which trails aren't :rolleyes: )

ajax
08-25-2010, 12:09 AM
ran grizzley open on 35s and made it, i think on 33s youll be rubbing on the first obstacle i was on my sliders, the shelf road has a spot thats dug out also that might be tough for ya
there is suppose to be a very narrow spot on iron chest, and the boulder field has some easier lines through it,you might need a tug but it s doable on 33s

Red_Chili
08-25-2010, 09:31 AM
ran grizzley open on 35s and made it, i think on 33s youll be rubbing on the first obstacle i was on my sliders, the shelf road has a spot thats dug out also that might be tough for ya
there is suppose to be a very narrow spot on iron chest, and the boulder field has some easier lines through it,you might need a tug but it s doable on 33s

But not open, IMHO.

corsair23
08-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Here some ATV guys stacked rocks between the time I went up to when I came down...

Always blaming the ATV guys :rolleyes: :hill:

nattybumppo
08-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I think I better build up my rig before I tackle this one. Thanks for all the opinions.

nuclearlemon
08-26-2010, 07:53 PM
forgot about the first obstacle just up the trail from the house...d'oh...that one was nasty. pics from 07. the 40 shown was locked front and rear (don't know if they used both lockers) with 35" tires.

Convert
08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks Ige that's more like it :thumb: