PDA

View Full Version : Trail Creek work day - Saturday, Nov. 6

MDH33
08-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Lisa from the Coalition for the Upper Platte has asked our club to help out with some trail work on Trail Creek which is down in the Hayman burn area. We could use as many people as possible and as many rigs capable of hauling gravel/rock as possible.

Post up if you can make it. :thumb:

Here's Lisa's posts from the other thread in the Land Use section:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13851

We are working in the Hayman burn area. I'm trying to get a group together to move 20 plus tons of rip rap rock. It needs to be loaded, moved several miles and placed in various areas throughout Trail Creek Road (near Westcreek, just south of Deckers). We'll use the rock for erosion control in the riparian area. I have heard wonderful things about how your group helped us after the fire and am hoping to work with you again. The trick is that I have many dates open on weekdays in October and the first Saturday is November 6th. Would anyone be interested in getting together on a week day? Thank you!

Okay Guys, I'm a little new at this... it sounds like Saturday, November 6th would be best to move this rock and repair the road/riparian area. Let me explain a little more - I'm with the Coalition for the Upper Platte, we're a non-profit group that works on water and forest health projects We've done much work in the Hayman burn area -with your help! If we can get a handful of people with trucks we can get this moved and the road stabilized. If you haven't been out to Trail Creek please check it out, it's scenic in spite of the burn and very fun road to play on. Please let me know if you have any ideas or can come help, I'll have a small crew out helping too. Thank you, Lisa (and I drive a Toyota)

RockRunner
08-25-2010, 11:41 PM
I could help but now that I don't know my schedule I can't commit. I have a 3/4 tom truck plus a 16' trailer I can put sides on to carry more rock. Sorry I can not commit but as time gets closer I will be able to give a firmer answer.

Either way my trailer is up for use if somebody wants to to it.

corsair23
08-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Planning on attending as of now...I don't have a truck to haul rock but I do have a trailer (would need to figure out something for sides though) if the trail is trailer friendly.

LisafromCusp
08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Trail Creek is trailer friendly. You guys are awesome, thank you.

lilred4runner
08-26-2010, 03:57 PM
We should be able to make it, as long as I get my truck finished. I will put it on my calendar.

RicardoJM
10-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Lisa has provided the following information via e-mail and requested that I get it on the thread. If you can make this run/work day - please post up indicating so.

Trail Creek Erosion Control Hayman Burn Area
Rising Sun 4WD Club And other Awesome Volunteers

Workday: Saturday, November 6th, 2010
Project Location: Meet at Mt. Community Fire Department
Project Time: Meet at 9:30 AM
Volunteers expected: unknown

Workday Description:

We will be moving 20 plus tons of rip rap rock (about 4 to 10 inch in size) in the Hayman Burn area (near Westcreek, just south of Deckers). We will be loading and moving the rock several miles and placing it in strategic areas throughout Trail Creek Road. This will provide erosion control measures along a five mile stretch of the road and riparian area affected by post Hayman runoff. This area has been heavily impacted from sediment movement since the Hayman Fire. The work accomplished on this project will greatly help minimize the impact of sedimentation on the water supply. This will be a fun, challenging and rewarding project. A safety talk and work demonstration will occur pre-project.

Workday Schedule:

We begin the project at about 9:30 AM, take a 30 minute break for lunch about 11:30 AM and complete project no later than 3:30 PM.

Important Notes:

CUSP will provide materials and any necessary tools to complete project work. Transportation will be carpool, preferably high clearance or 4WD vehicles.

Mandatory Requirements of Volunteers:

Volunteers must complete a CUSP liability release form for each volunteer and a volunteer sign-up sheet. Please submit prior to or on the day of the project. This is a link to the CUSP liability release form (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/misc/liability_release_form.doc).

Please Bring:

Release forms
Volunteer sign-up sheet
Sturdy shoes or work boots
Any applicable medicines (including epi pen and inhalers)
Sun glasses or safety glasses
Gloves
Coats or Raincoat
Lunch
Drinking water

What to Expect:

These projects occur in an exposed mountain environment. We will be working near water. Please wear clothes that can get wet and dirty.

Weather:

Event(s) may be canceled or rescheduled due to bad weather. “Bad” weather refers to natural elements which could create hazardous conditions for volunteers and staff. For example: high winds, snow or heavy rains. CUSP staff will monitor weather before event and notify partners of any changes in a timely fashion.

Driving Directions:

From Colorado Springs to Mountain Community (Westcreek) Fire Station:

· From I-25 in Colorado Springs take Hwy 24 (Cimarron Rd.) to Woodland Park
· At the main light in Woodland Park turn right on HWY 67 (north) towards Deckers
· About 15 minutes from Woodland Park look for mile marker 91 followed by ABBEY RD (CR 73), turn left – this can be a dangerous turn
· Follow downhill to a T intersection and take a left

· This is Westcreek Road, follow this road, less than one mile, until you see the fire station on your right (at intersection of Westcreek and Stump Roads)

From Denver to Mountain Community (Westcreek) Fire Station:

· Take 285 South to Pine Junction, then left (south) CR 126 to Deckers

· About 10 minutes past Deckers, look for mile marker 90 followed by ABBEY RD (CR 73), turn right (West Creek turnoff)

· This is Westcreek Road, follow this road, less than one mile, until you see the fire station on your right (at intersection of Westcreek and Stump Roads)
From there we will be traveling to Trail Creek Road, approximately one mile past the fire station, turn right.

Please note that GPS systems do not always work correctly in the mountains
and cell phone service will be inconsistent.

Thank you so much, we are going to have fun!
The entire CUSP staff

Uncle Ben
10-08-2010, 03:51 PM
:-( I have to unfortunately say that I cannot make that work day. Hopefully, I'll be hot on the trail of Wapiti especial!

Old40Dog
10-11-2010, 11:28 PM
:-( I have to unfortunately say that I cannot make that work day. Hopefully, I'll be hot on the trail of Wapiti especial!

Best of luck Kevin! No luck on going for Wapiti this year....maybe better next!

Idelle, Zach and I plan to be there with the "Rocket" to help out.

"Rocket" = 1985 C-10 Chebbie (Forbidden to say Chevy anymore cause of Government Motors ownership) 4.3 L V-6, SM420 Tranny, 2 WD(:lmao:) but it can haul rocks!

Beachboy
10-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Hope to be there, will know later for sure later. Can a dually drive the road (4 wheel drive?)

LisafromCusp
10-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Yep, a dually would be great. I hope you can make it.

LisafromCusp
10-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks, Lilred, hope you can still make it. We will have fun. Lisa

LisafromCusp
10-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Hey Martin, Ricardo & Rising Sun, Thank you so much for helping me out with this. If you know of anyone who wants to come along & help with placing the rock (the erosion control part of things), they are more than welcomed too. It really is a cool area to come hang out & in the burn area you can actually see how your work has a positive impact on the streams/creeks/rivers and water supply. Thank you again! Lisa

MDH33
10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Bumping this back up to the top.

Lets get a head count for people and rigs that can definately help out with this. :thumb:

Beachboy
10-19-2010, 09:29 AM
90% sure that I will be there.

corsair23
10-20-2010, 12:21 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP

I'm still planning on attending but it sounds like we need pickups!! I've got a trailer but it doesn't have solid sides so bringing that might just mean picking up and moving rocks multiple times :o

Rzeppa
10-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I think I may have to come down there for this project. My FJ45 will hold over a ton of rocks, done it before. I haven't been down there to help since our first couple of Rising Sun CUSP projects back in '03.

Rita the red truck doesn't have a cb installed, but I have a handheld. Channel 4?

Rzeppa
10-20-2010, 06:52 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP

I'm still planning on attending but it sounds like we need pickups!! I've got a trailer but it doesn't have solid sides so bringing that might just mean picking up and moving rocks multiple times :o

Jeff, throw a tarp into the back of your 80 for protection and you should be able to haul about a half ton at a time.

MDH33
10-20-2010, 07:26 PM
I think I may have to come down there for this project. My FJ45 will hold over a ton of rocks, done it before. I haven't been down there to help since our first couple of Rising Sun CUSP projects back in '03.

Rita the red truck doesn't have a cb installed, but I have a handheld. Channel 4?

:bowdown: Thanks Jeff!

Jeff, throw a tarp into the back of your 80 for protection and you should be able to haul about a half ton at a time.

Good idea about the tarp in the back too. Maybe Kim will let me borrow her Tacoma if I promise not to scratch it. ;)

MDH33
10-20-2010, 07:28 PM
90% sure that I will be there.

I hope that's 100% by the 6th. :thumb:

BUMP BUMP BUMP

Thanks Jeff!

nakman
10-20-2010, 08:33 PM
hey Martin i think i can make this, and i'm sure my trailer is up for the action as well. i will confirm but put me down for now, thanks.

MountainGoat
10-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I am in for sure. I will take the topper off my mini truck or else borrow a trailer from a neighbor. :thumb:

Old40Dog
10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Idelle, Zach and I plan to be there with the "Rocket" to help out.

"Rocket" = 1985 C-10 Chebbie PU (Forbidden to say Chevy anymore cause of Government Motors ownership) 4.3 L V-6, SM420 Tranny, 2 WD(:lmao:) but it can haul rocks!

Martin, Since it looks like we're short on trucks, put me down for 2! I'll bring the Taco too.

MDH33
10-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I am in for sure. I will take the topper off my mini truck or else borrow a trailer from a neighbor. :thumb:

Martin, Since it looks like we're short on trucks, put me down for 2! I'll bring the Taco too.

Excellent! Thanks! :beer:

LisafromCusp
10-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Hey guys, I don't think we'll need shovels - just about a dozen hands and some trucks, maybe one or two trailers that can take a potential dent. We'll have a backhoe for the big stuff & we'll place it by hand. I think I may have a donation for lunch! Woo hoo. So, wht's the best way to get a final number on the forum? Also, are there any vegans or vegetarians coming along? Finally, since you all are traveling the furthest, would you rather meet at 10:00? (It will be a bit warmer then) Thank you so much, Lisa

Rzeppa
10-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, I don't think we'll need shovels - just about a dozen hands and some trucks, maybe one or two trailers that can take a potential dent. We'll have a backhoe for the big stuff & we'll place it by hand. I think I may have a donation for lunch! Woo hoo. So, wht's the best way to get a final number on the forum? Also, are there any vegans or vegetarians coming along? Finally, since you all are traveling the furthest, would you rather meet at 10:00? (It will be a bit warmer then) Thank you so much, Lisa

Does the backhoe have a front-end loader on the other end? That would be quickest.

My wife is Vegan but I doubt she's coming.

10:00 sounds better, last time I was down there I think it was around 1.5 hours each way from Kittredge going through Conifer/Pine/Deckers, etc.

I can't find the image of the front end loader dropping a ton of rick-rack into the bed of my FJ45 because it got lost on the old forum, but here's one with a load of firewood:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=186&stc=1&d=1127061220

From this thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=193).

Convert
10-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Martin
I will be there and will bring my trailer :thumb:

MDH33
10-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Martin
I will be there and will bring my trailer :thumb:

Thanks Dan! :thumb:

MDH33
10-31-2010, 09:06 AM

Lisa, right now, we only have about 7 people confirmed, unfortunately. Will that be enough? :confused:

LisafromCusp
11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi Martin & Trail Creek Crew,

Yes, 7 is great! I have a good crew from CUSP coming and a few extra volunteers from all over. It is supposed to be a gorgeous weekend. I'll be bringing lunch and if I don't here otherwise, vegetarians are on their own. So, if your numbers change, please let me know so I can bring more chow.

Would you like to meet at 10:00 instead/ or start at 9:30? It's your call.

Thank you so very much, I can't wait to meet you? Lisa

Rzeppa
11-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi Lisa,

It is great to have another opportunity to work with CUSP!

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, my MIL will be recovering from hip-replacement tomorrow. If I am needed for family, I have to prioritize. I do plan to come though, and will post up if I can't.

Also, I am rehabbing from a torn rotator cuff and will have to go easy on the rock-tossing. I expect to be able to but have to be careful about my motions.

10:00 would work much better for me.

corsair23
11-03-2010, 01:36 AM
10:00 would work much better for me.

Same here :thumb:

MDH33
11-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Just bumping this. THIS WEEKEND AND WE NEED HELP!!!

Lisa has provided the following information via e-mail and requested that I get it on the thread. If you can make this run/work day - please post up indicating so.

Trail Creek Erosion Control Hayman Burn Area
Rising Sun 4WD Club And other Awesome Volunteers

Workday: Saturday, November 6th, 2010
Project Location: Meet at Mt. Community Fire Department
Project Time: Meet at 10:00 AM
Volunteers expected: unknown

Workday Description:

We will be moving 20 plus tons of rip rap rock (about 4 to 10 inch in size) in the Hayman Burn area (near Westcreek, just south of Deckers). We will be loading and moving the rock several miles and placing it in strategic areas throughout Trail Creek Road. This will provide erosion control measures along a five mile stretch of the road and riparian area affected by post Hayman runoff. This area has been heavily impacted from sediment movement since the Hayman Fire. The work accomplished on this project will greatly help minimize the impact of sedimentation on the water supply. This will be a fun, challenging and rewarding project. A safety talk and work demonstration will occur pre-project.

Workday Schedule:

We begin the project at about 10:00 AM, take a 30 minute break for lunch about 11:30 AM and complete project no later than 3:30 PM.

Important Notes:

CUSP will provide materials and any necessary tools to complete project work. Transportation will be carpool, preferably high clearance or 4WD vehicles.

Mandatory Requirements of Volunteers:

Volunteers must complete a CUSP liability release form for each volunteer and a volunteer sign-up sheet. Please submit prior to or on the day of the project. This is a link to the CUSP liability release form (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/misc/liability_release_form.doc).

Please Bring:

Release forms
Volunteer sign-up sheet
Sturdy shoes or work boots
Any applicable medicines (including epi pen and inhalers)
Sun glasses or safety glasses
Gloves
Coats or Raincoat
Lunch
Drinking water

What to Expect:

These projects occur in an exposed mountain environment. We will be working near water. Please wear clothes that can get wet and dirty.

Weather:

Event(s) may be canceled or rescheduled due to bad weather. “Bad” weather refers to natural elements which could create hazardous conditions for volunteers and staff. For example: high winds, snow or heavy rains. CUSP staff will monitor weather before event and notify partners of any changes in a timely fashion.

Driving Directions:

From Colorado Springs to Mountain Community (Westcreek) Fire Station:

· From I-25 in Colorado Springs take Hwy 24 (Cimarron Rd.) to Woodland Park
· At the main light in Woodland Park turn right on HWY 67 (north) towards Deckers
· About 15 minutes from Woodland Park look for mile marker 91 followed by ABBEY RD (CR 73), turn left – this can be a dangerous turn

From Denver to Mountain Community (Westcreek) Fire Station:

· Take 285 South to Pine Junction, then left (south) CR 126 to Deckers

· About 10 minutes past Deckers, look for mile marker 90 followed by ABBEY RD (CR 73), turn right (West Creek turnoff)

From there we will be traveling to Trail Creek Road, approximately one mile past the fire station, turn right.

Please note that GPS systems do not always work correctly in the mountains
and cell phone service will be inconsistent.

Thank you so much, we are going to have fun!
The entire CUSP staff

MDH33
11-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Lisa, after the club meeting last night, it looks like we might have 10-12 people coming. :thumb:

Everyone: Lets meet at the Old Safeway/Staples parking lot in Conifer next to 285 at around 8:00 on Saturday. Then we can caravan down to the meeting spot at the Mountain Community (Westcreek) Fire Station. For those of you coming from the South who want to head straight to the fire station, we'll see you there at 10:00.

LisafromCusp
11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Martin & Rising Sun Crew, That sounds perfect, and 10 to 12 is excellent. City Market donated toward lunch, so if anyone else decides to join in please give me a holler. You may call, 719.748.0033 or email directly too lisa@uppersouthplatte.org. It is supposed to be another summer like day. Thank you so! Lisa

nattybumppo
11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Martin, I won't be able to show up with my truck and trailer. I forgot about my boy's athletic event that morning. Sorry, Sascha

lilred4runner
11-05-2010, 02:41 AM
I will see if I can talk my kid into it. I will post my final answer tomorrow.

I really hope to be there.

John

lilred4runner
11-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry can't make it, Maybe next time.

MountainGoat
11-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I just got back from picking up the trailer for tomorrow. I am a go. :thumb:

MDH33
11-05-2010, 06:28 PM
:-( I have to unfortunately say that I cannot make that work day. ...

Martin, I won't be able to show up with my truck and trailer. I forgot about my boy's athletic event that morning. Sorry, Sascha

Sorry can't make it, Maybe next time.

:(:(:( you guys are killin' me.

MDH33
11-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I just got back from picking up the trailer for tomorrow. I am a go. :thumb:

you the man, Dan. :thumb:

I just spent the first free evening I've had in months building sides on Tim's trailer.

Convert
11-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Martin
I am going to come in from the south and I have a rider/worker:thumb:

MDH33
11-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Martin
I am going to come in from the south and I have a rider/worker:thumb:

:bowdown: Thanks dude!