PDA

View Full Version : flights

nuclearlemon
08-26-2010, 11:24 PM
anyone recommend a good sight to search for flights. i'm working on my xmas plans and, while i will most likely drive for financial and sanity reasons, would like to consider flying for weather related reasons.

going from denver to sun valley and apparently, the airlines are still thinking only the rich and famous fly there because most flights i've found start at just under $500 (with taxes). it would be half that to drive there and back, but when i went a couple of years ago, i had to deal with traveling in a blizzard and the alternator crapping out on clampy just outside of snowville utah, which btw, is smack between nowhere and absolutely f'n nowhere.

although that is the same trip that i got clampy to do 100mph and that made it all worthwhile :D

corsair23
08-27-2010, 12:17 AM
I just know of the typical ones:

Orbitz
Expedia
Priceline

To be honest though I've never found that any of these have great deals vs. just going direct to an airlines site like Frontier or SouthWest etc.

satchel
08-27-2010, 02:01 AM
I use kayak.com. it is an aggregator for all the sites like travelocity. I also use the southwest ding prrogram which shows you really low fares but that may not apply to your situation as it is usually big towns that people are flying to.

Lars
08-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Kayak is a good, all inclusive sight (except for southest).

Uncle Ben
08-27-2010, 08:35 AM
anyone recommend a good sight to search for flights. i'm working on my xmas plans and, while i will most likely drive for financial and sanity reasons, would like to consider flying for weather related reasons.

going from denver to sun valley and apparently, the airlines are still thinking only the rich and famous fly there because most flights i've found start at just under $500 (with taxes). it would be half that to drive there and back, but when i went a couple of years ago, i had to deal with traveling in a blizzard and the alternator crapping out on clampy just outside of snowville utah, which btw, is smack between nowhere and absolutely f'n nowhere.

although that is the same trip that i got clampy to do 100mph and that made it all worthwhile :D

Air Gorilla (http://www.airgorilla.com/?gclid=CNvZ59Ti2aMCFcHs7Qodtmur9w), Cheap Fares (http://www.cheapfares.com/) and cheapoair (http://www.cheapoair.com/default.aspx?tabid=3305)are often ones I have found to be cheapest. Also, check Frontiers (http://www.frontierairlines.com/frontier/home.do) site directly as they often will have uber cheap flights that don't show up on the other sights!

DanS
08-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Ige:

Flying into KSUN (Sun Valley, ID) is very limited in general. There are only two scheduled air carriers who fly there, Horizon and SkyWest. Horizon from Seattle (maybe Portland) and SkyWest from Salt Lake City. Horizon sells their own tickets, or from Alaska Airlines (they are a wholly owned subsidiary of the Alaska Air Group), and SKyWest sells their tickets through Delta.

If there is weather at all then the SkyWest EMB-120 Brasilia can get weight limited really, really easily and start bumping passengers. The Horizon Q400 on the other hand will almost never be weight limited.

From an airline standpoint, Sun Valley is the "other" Aspen. Lots of wealthy people there, and an airport that is SERIOUSLY limiting in terms of aircraft choice. For those reasons I doubt you'll ever see tickets fall below $500 round trip (which actually sounds like a cheap price to me).

Frontier won't have anything. Our friendly Indianapolis-based carrier is parking the only plane they have that MIGHT be able to serve Sun Valley, and have never served it in the past. The closest you'll get on Frontier is.... Jackson Hole. We're even cutting Boise from the schedule (might have cut it this month).

Dan

nuclearlemon
08-29-2010, 04:24 PM
good to know, thanks all

and yes, $500 is cheap, it was over $700 last time.

Inukshuk
08-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Check the Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, etc, find a flight you like, and then check the airline's site. Often its a few $$ cheaper on the airline's site because of service fees.

pmccumber
08-29-2010, 08:35 PM
First of all, if Southwest flies anywhere near there, that will probably get you your best price. And you have to go to their site.

Believe it or not, Bing is looking pretty good these days. I like how they let you vary your days.

nuclearlemon
08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
First of all, if Southwest flies anywhere near there, that will probably get you your best price. And you have to go to their site.

Believe it or not, Bing is looking pretty good these days. I like how they let you vary your days.

driving definitely is better than southwest. i'd probably get there sooner. they couldn't take off on time if their life depended on it judging by my last six (and last ever)flights on southwest:rolleyes:

4runner luv
08-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Give this one a try. It's a long shot usually, but a few weeks ago they had round trip to Phoenix (my home town) for $89. If a deal comes up, you can book it weeks or even months in advance.

www.airfarewatchdog.com

pmccumber
08-29-2010, 10:47 PM
driving definitely is better than southwest. i'd probably get there sooner. they couldn't take off on time if their life depended on it judging by my last six (and last ever)flights on southwest:rolleyes:

I lived in Phoenix for 20 years and still go back there quite a bit as my dad lives there. Plus, when working at the missile range, we fly Southwest. I know I've done hundreds of flights on Southwest. I think the actual on time record for them is and has been the best in the biz. So I think your experience is out of the norm. I found this link saying they were second to Hawaiian and lowest in complaints last year. I be shocked if they were ever lower than #2. http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/02/12/airlines.performance/index.html

The reason I am a fan is because they pay their pilots, mechs, and handlers the best in the business. A 737 captain makes more than a 777 captain at United. I just checked a couple months ago and there were two aircraft from any of the major carriers whose captains made more and it was neglible. That's why I'll shop Costco before Walmart. I'm silly that way. I like companies that deliver great product, cheaply, make a profit, and still take care of their people.

Plus, they are one of those companies who transform a market when they enter it. Extremely good for a local economy to have Southwest serve you.

So yeah, I'm a fanboy.

Paul

bigbluefj
08-29-2010, 10:57 PM
try itravel2000 is what i used last time..