PDA

View Full Version : What kind of grass?

waggoner5
08-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Should I put down up here in the foothills? I have a spot 12x30 that I want grass on and did all the dirt and prep work yesterday. I want to sod it today.

Shark Bait
08-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Some place like this could probably tell you:

ScienTurfic @ Home Depot

16900 W Colfax Ave
Golden, CO 80401
303-384-0875

Beachboy
08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I work in the Lowes Garden Center during the summer and 90% of the grass along the front range and foothills is Kentucky Bluegrass - its grows the best. If you plant it now, it may not survive the winter if its a cold one. Better in the spring.

Uncle Ben
08-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Should I put down up here in the foothills? I have a spot 12x30 that I want grass on and did all the dirt and prep work yesterday. I want to sod it today.

Do you want soft bare foot comfy grass that you half to water or just mice ground cover grass thats native and requires little to no water?

Beater
08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
buffalo is native, but it's a tufting fescue like grass and not designed to be be cut. most fescue's should work.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Unless you already have it taken care of, call Green Valley turf on Santa Fe.

They deliver and I have had excellent results from them for years.. I was also thinking a Fescue mix would be best but I am not a turf expert.

AxleIke
08-30-2010, 04:44 PM
I can't believe this thread has stayed serious for this long.

wesintl
08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I like the sticky icky stuff... :D I dunno what they smoke I mean grow in the foothills :lmao:

RockRunner
08-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Lot's of places along Broadway or Colfax that could give you some advice:D. Even "Homegrown" grass from CO.:rolleyes:

Man I thought somebody would have joined in on the fun.:lmao:

DaveInDenver
08-30-2010, 08:57 PM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/verysoxy/tek/i_love_grass.jpg

nuclearlemon
08-30-2010, 09:55 PM
i've been looking a tiny bit into fescues since now that the roof/windows/siding are done, the landscaping is next. hard fescues are hardy, but like to be kept a bit taller. they are very hardy to salty water, if you are watering with a soft water system. i just flat out don't water.

i'm looking at chewings fescue. chewings is good for a mowed lawn, but not very durable for high traffic areas. it is good for drought tolerance.

chewings is a fine fescue. many fescues are not fine. they are a course blade. just look at my lawn now and you'll see a mix of fine and course fescues.

fescues are non native to the u.s. they are great for erosion control because they have deep roots, which help in periods of drought.

kentucky bluegrass likes a lot of water and will brown in drought periods. while fescues also like ample water, they are more drought tolerant and will be a more vibrant green. my grass is as green as my neighbors...they water three times a week..i've watered three times this summer.

Corbet
08-30-2010, 10:38 PM
"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."

Carl

Dr. Schlegs
08-30-2010, 10:49 PM
"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."

Carl

Finally someone quotes Carl.:drumsticks:

pmccumber
08-30-2010, 11:13 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=150441&catid=188

Interesting story about people growing some unique hybrid grass just today up in Raymond/Riverside near Miller Rock; where I was wheelin' yesterday. Glad I take my heater with me!

Caribou Sandstorm
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I am such a wuss.. I quoted Carl, posted it for less then 5 mins then erased it... Corbet did a way better job then I did anyway..