PDA

View Full Version : genuine gear's ?

TIMZTOY
08-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Anyone ever used them ? Ive never herd of them untill today. I found a guy selling a set of new 5.29 gears and install kits for both axles. He claims to have gotten them from 4wheel parts. Locally. Ive never herd on anyone in the yoda world using them. Thoughts !!

corsair23
08-30-2010, 11:59 PM
All I know about them is that they are often called "Genu-whine" gears....

Just what I've read on the interweb :)

TIMZTOY
08-31-2010, 02:25 AM
kewl thanks

leiniesred
08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Despite a really careful setup (or 2), my V6 8 inch standard rotation 5.29 genuine gears were loud for 7,000 miles. Then I ran Billings Canyon in Grand Junction. That must have REALLY loaded them up because they have been quiet since then. (what like 5 years ago now?)

The machining on the teeth is not as fine as on "better" gears which is probably the cause for the noisy gears. They were well within Toyota spec for variation in backlash when all was done.

Other than the noise early on, I haven't had any trouble with my Gen-you-whine 5.29s running dual transfer cases and 37s.

Red_Chili
08-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Trail Gear is good quality and inexpensive. They set up quite nicely.

TIMZTOY
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
thanks.. i actually want the youkon's but this guy has a whole set for about 150 less than youkons..

leiniesred
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
I set up a set of Yukon "economy" series gears and recall that they had the same markings as the genuines. just a different box sometimes.

TIMZTOY
09-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Hmmmmm

AddictedOffroad
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM
TG gears are Yukon gears. They are cut at Yukon's facility in Korea. Genuine Gear is also now cut by Yukon in Korea, but its their economy based gear now. They are not intended for use on quiet running vehicles. The TG version is a YG without the YG stamp on it. The part numbers are identical otherwise.

I have set up at least 100 TG gears without a single failure or issue to date. Setup is critical on any set. Personally, considering that the TG gears are $135/ea, I would go that route.

Uncle Ben: FWIW Chris Geiger hasn't worked for TG for well over a year.

TIMZTOY
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
TG gears are Yukon gears. They are cut at Yukon's facility in Korea. Genuine Gear is also now cut by Yukon in Korea, but its their economy based gear now. They are not intended for use on quiet running vehicles. The TG version is a YG without the YG stamp on it. The part numbers are identical otherwise.

I have set up at least 100 TG gears without a single failure or issue to date. Setup is critical on any set. Personally, considering that the TG gears are $135/ea, I would go that route.

Thanks. I guess ill go with TG's whats your thoughts on the Trail gear set up kit ?

MountainGoat
09-01-2010, 05:13 PM
It looks like you could buy your gears from Scotty (http://www.addictedoffroad.com/gears.html). Maybe you could get him to bring them to the meeting! :hill:

Uncle Ben
09-01-2010, 05:15 PM

I did not know that! Wonder where that slimeball went so I can steer clear? I will kill my slam in that case!

AddictedOffroad
09-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks. I guess ill go with TG's whats your thoughts on the Trail gear set up kit ?

Very high quality. Koyo pinion bearings and Timken Carrier bearings. Get the solid pinion spacers too.

AddictedOffroad
09-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I did not know that! Wonder where that slimeball went so I can steer clear? I will kill my slam in that case!

He is a professional wedding photographer now. He is at a whole new level of screwing up someone's life.:rolleyes:

If we ever meet in person, you can ask me the "real" story about him. :beer: