PDA

View Full Version : TLC won't start...

ToddyBear
09-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Okay guys - could use some advice once again. My LC (71 FJ40), won't start, and then after lifting distributor cap - messing a while - suddenly it does, or doesn't.

I have newer plugs and MSD wires. Just changed the cap and rotor (MSD), and kept the top built in coil (HEI). Still wouldn't start. Noticed a broken piece along bottom rim, so thought the spark was escaping out bottom of distributor, under cap. So, RTV Black along rim, and started right up. Thought problem fixed, went out to start - engine turned over, but no spark - not even a hint.

My 71 has a SBC 350, Edelbrock intake and carb...battery is charged...any ideas? My experience tells me that when a coil goes, it just goes, however in this case, the starting is inconsistent. Actually, there is one consistency - after she starts, she'll start all day, as long as she's warm. As soon as she sits and cools, she won't start - usually a couple hours.

Thanks for all your help! Oh yes! I forgot - I met the wife of the treasurer for this site - your wife couldn't remember your call name on here : )

Todd

MDH33
09-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a bad ground that's causing intermittent failure.

ToddyBear
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
A bad ground? From the distributor? I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Todd

DaveInDenver
09-01-2010, 09:51 AM
How about moisture getting under the cap? The might explain the RTV fix showing promise.

Coils don't have to fail suddenly, they can be intermittent. I had one show a temperature dependency, it would work cold but begin to fail as the engine bay got hot. In my case the engine would die and would not restart. Let it cool it would start and run fine.

ToddyBear
09-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Okay - coincidently, as I mentioned in another post, she's been overheating - in the 220s. And, you are saying that it could be the coil. Also, the ground? is there a ground located on the HEI distributor that I'm not aware of?

Again - thanks guys for the direction!

Todd

rover67
09-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Man it really sounds like a loose connection somewhere...

either that or there is a wire shorting to ground..

Double check all the wiring going to the coil and distributor. Not the plug wires or coil wires, but the other low voltage wiring.

DaveInDenver
09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
And, you are saying that it could be the coil. Also, the ground? is there a ground located on the HEI distributor that I'm not aware of?
I was adding to Martin's thought, a loose cable or wire or bad connection would be first to check before anything else. But I've personally had flaky coils, so sure, it's a possibility.

MDH33
09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Check the wiring on your MSD ignition. Bad ground there or from the battery could cause all kinds of goofy issues that are hard to pinpoint/replicate.

Air Randy
09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Also, the ground? is there a ground located on the HEI distributor that I'm not aware of?

No, most HEI distributors have a single switched +12v wire going to them, the distributors grounds to the engine by the mechanical connection of being inserted into the block.

I think what Marten is saying is, check that the ground cable from the battery to the engine block and chassis is clean, making good contact and bolted tightly.

rover67
09-01-2010, 02:11 PM
How does the coil on the cap get wired to the rest of the distributor?

ToddyBear
09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
From the bottom of the base to the side of the cap, which connects to upper built in coil.

Todd

corsair23
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Oh yes! I forgot - I met the wife of the treasurer for this site - your wife couldn't remember your call name on here : )

Todd

So she said :) - Small world sometimes....I posted up a "Hi" in the spotted thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13531)

Sorry, no help on the problems you're having...I'm chasing my own gremlins in the :Princess:'s 80....First a P0401 code that is now a P0171 code which somehow has caused her brakes to start making "horrible noises" and the "low" setting of her fan to stop working :gaah:

ToddyBear
09-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah! So fun!

Todd