PDA

View Full Version : Minitruck maintenance suggestions

cjsutton
09-02-2010, 11:21 AM
So I am in the middle of getting my 86 Xcab ready to go to Ouray this weekend and I have realized that is never going to happen. I started a few weeks ago with a blown wheel cylinder. I replaced both cylinders, shoes and had the drums turned. It went pretty smooth until I just couldn't get them bled properly. I went as far as replacing the master cylinder and still no luck. I ended up having to buy one of those Phoenix reverse bleeders and now I have a strong pedal feel. I have never had an issue bleeding brakes in any of my other vehicles, but I really like this tool and I will be getting my money out of it on all my trucks.

Anyway back to the biggest snowball of a situation I have ever gotten myself into. After the brakes I needed to replace the slipping clutch. I have done other clutches including another 22RE in my 85 4Runner. I am using the 1200 lb Aisin from Marlin. When I pulled the trans and tcase there was a lot of oil, both inside the bellhousing and behind the stiffener plate. I wasn't planning on a lot of extra tasks for this project, but I am now working on doing the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket due to all of the oil. The pilot bearing was completely destroyed. The rear of the bearing had no cover and it only had half of the ball bearings. I never found the missing ball bearings and the little retaining bits and pieces had accumulated behind the bearing. It was a LUK clutch, but I couldn't identify the pilot bearing. I also had to replace all of the plastic and rubber parts on both shifters due to all the play.

Doing some more reading I determined that the oil inside the bellhousing could be from the transmission input seal, so that is my next purchase. Obviously this has turned into more than just replacing the clutch, so since the truck will be sitting in the garage while we take the 80 to Ouray this weekend I was hoping for any additional suggestions as to anything I maiy have missed while I have the trans and tcase pulled. I really don't want to do this again any time soon.

Thanks for any input.

FJBRADY
09-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Man, I don't have any suggestions, but I am glad you are able to take the 80 out to Ouray. Have fun.

Air Randy
09-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Does the oil inside the bell housing smell like motor oil or 90w gear lube? There is also a half moon gasket on the rear on the 22RE valve covers that is notorious for leaking too that could result in oil inside your bell housing. If you are still getting a leak after you replace the rear main, check the valve cover .

TIMZTOY
09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I highlly doubt the input seal is leaking !!! Like Randy said what does the oil look/smell like ?

cjsutton
09-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I think the the half moon gasket is the only dry thing under there. I bought the gasket to replace it, but I don't want to fix something that isn't broken. I though it would be a good idea to remove the seal retainer to be sure I seated the new seal properly, but I would prefer not creating a leak where there isn't one.

I just couldn't find anything by searching on any other causes for oil leaks. Does gear oil pass between the trans and tcase? I am guessing if all the seals are intact then the oil should stay put.

cjsutton
09-02-2010, 09:51 PM
It is all cleaned up now, but I don't recall it smelling much like gear oil. I guess that would rule out the input seal on the trans.

TIMZTOY
09-02-2010, 10:58 PM
It is all cleaned up now, but I don't recall it smelling much like gear oil. I guess that would rule out the input seal on the trans.

;)

Air Randy
09-03-2010, 08:44 AM
It was probably the rear main which you replaced so you should be good to go.

TIMZTOY
09-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Diddo