PDA

View Full Version : PS Pump options for '96 FZJ80?

Hulk
09-03-2010, 04:24 PM
My power steering is groaning like crazy. I replaced all the fluid last year and that fixed the problem for a while. Now I think I need to bite the bullet and just replace the pump.

Called Go Toyota. Their list price is $350 (before the discount). Yikes!

Called O'Reilly/Checker. Their price is $125 + $90 core charge (refundable).

Any reason to go with Toyota here?

DaveInDenver
09-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Is Toyota's price for a new or remanufactured part? I'd guess with a list of $350 that your price would be in the ~$275 range with discounts. Doesn't Toyota also sell a pump rebuild kit? Why Toyota, you ask? Maybe 'cause the first one went 200K and 15 years. But in this case I'd probably do the aftermarket reman because I'm betting the Toyota one is also a reman and probably sourced domestically, which means the A1-Cardone, NAPA, etc. one might come from the same place. If the OE box says "Reman done in Japan" or "USA" and the NAPA one "Remade in Mexico", might change my opinion. Maybe, $200 cheaper is $200.

Hulk
09-03-2010, 06:03 PM
O'Reilly said theirs was A1-Cardone. NAPA said they thought theirs was A1-Cardone, too, and they wanted $160ish.

60wag
09-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Is it leaking? Is it creating pressure? I had a pump or two on my 60 that would groan unless the reservoir was a bit over filled. Maybe the screen in the res was a bit clogged and was restricting flow to the pump. It's easy to try and might help - up the fluid level an inch or so.

corsair23
09-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Interested...Mine is starting to make some less than fun noises as well...

I'm thinking rebuild though and have it done by someone other than me :hill: - Figure it lasted a long time and maybe with a rebuild it will go another 10-15 years. There were a few guys who rebuilt there pumps within the last couple years I thought? Or maybe they were just replacing hoses...

sleeoffroad
09-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Interested...Mine is starting to make some less than fun noises as well...

The interweb says to put a cap of downey into the system and it stops the noise. Tried it on a old truck and it actually worked.

I'm thinking rebuild though and have it done by someone other than me :hill: - Figure it lasted a long time and maybe with a rebuild it will go another 10-15 years. There were a few guys who rebuilt there pumps within the last couple years I thought? Or maybe they were just replacing hoses...

The kit from Toyota is really just a reseal kit. You are not rebuilding any of the hard parts, so you are not doing much. Just replace. Would stick with Toyota on this one. Or see the guy on mud that is working on the higher flow / pressure setup. Not sure if they actually reman the internals as well.

ttubb
09-04-2010, 09:52 AM
When I did the engine swap on my 4Runner, the PS pump groaned something awful. I thought it may be a bad pump so I bought a reman. Same thing.

Then I was reading about high performance pumps and they have a statement that if you use any fluid but Royal Purple Syn PS fluid it voids the warranty.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/Royal-Purple-12oz-E-Z-Max-Power-Steering-Fluid.html

Same statement from the Trail-Gear here -
http://www.trail-gear.com/full-hydraulic-pumps.

I switched to the Royal Purple and within 10-15 miles it was smooth as silk. Must be something to it. Might give it a try and see if it quiets down. Terry

Hulk
10-06-2010, 12:39 AM
The interweb says to put a cap of downey into the system and it stops the noise. Tried it on a old truck and it actually worked.

Christo, thanks for this. It worked like a charm. Quieted down a small bit almost immediately, and was nearly silent within a week. I'm betting that I will eventually need to replace the pump, but this brought new life to the old one.

rover67
10-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Just FYI, I went through 3 NAPA pumps for the 40 before finding one that actually worked. They were all worn out pumps that were resealed.

Save your pennies for an OEM new one when the time comes.

Everything i heard when i got the NAPA one pointed me in that direction but i got one anyways, I regret that decision now after doing the R&R 4 times.