PDA

View Full Version : E Reader? Which one?

corsair23
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Looking for recommendations from those that have used or are using some type of e-reader device as to what you like or don't like about what you have.

I've seen the Kindle in person but that is it. All I know is from what I've read online but like the Jeep vs. Toyota debate, I'm sure most of what I read is biased :hill:

This would be for the little :Princess: as a bday gift from my folks. I'm thinking she'll want something that has wireless capability and can easily download books from the library. I've read that the Sony e-readers are more user friendly in that area compared to the Kindle or the Barnes & Noble version. Not really interested in spending a lot on "buying" books so doing the online checkout/download deal with the library seems to be the way to go. Otherwise size and clarity of screen are important as would be ability to read in low light conditions.

TIA

Hulk
09-08-2010, 01:32 PM
iPad?

nakman
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
iPad is a waste of money, IMO... it's a really big and expensive iPod touch. Get a Nook or a Kindle for the e-reader, Michele researched them all and ended up with the Nook, fwiw.

Chris
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
iPad! My brother just visited and brought his along. Why limit it to reading books when you can just about everything else on it too?

I'll buy one now that I've played with it a bit. Oh yeah, it does books very well.

corsair23
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
The iPad would be cool but the inlaw's already bought her an Mac Book whatever it is called (I'm not a Mac guy). I think she would best be suited with something smaller (and less expensive) that she can read books on. She is an avid reader which is a good thing.

Personally, I don't think she needs another gee-whiz technology item at her age but I've been overruled :rolleyes: - Gone are the days when kids get Legos and bikes for birthdays apparently.

Thanks for the tip on the "Nook" Tim...Not sure I've ever heard of that one. Did you see the install of that iPad in a Tacoma I think it was? That was pretty dang cool. Problem with the iPad IMO is to use it to its fullest extent you need the 3G or whatever network which sounds like mega $$. Heck, my cell phone is barely capable of sending text messages :hill:

Chris
09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Not sure the age of little :Princess: but being on the edge of 60 I think bigger is better. Those iPod like things are just too small to see. :hill:

corsair23
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Not sure the age of little :Princess: but being on the edge of 60 I think bigger is better. Those iPod like things are just too small to see. :hill:

True...Just getting to be too many devices trying to do everything and none of them really do it all well, IMO. The iPod Touches are great for playing games and music etc. but using them for the internet or email is pretty futile IMO. The iPad is better but seems to be a lug and boderline laptop territory. A laptop is great but generally too big to lug around all the time. Netbooks? Waste of $$ IMO. The good ones are laptop $$ and the cheaper ones are slow and the screens are annoyingly small.

Personally for book reading I prefer an actual book but there is something to be said for having an entire library encased in the size of just one book :cool: - And think of all the gas I'll save, not to mention lowering my carbon footprint, not having to go to the library anymore :D

DaveInDenver
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Hmmm, Kindle = $200...

No WiFi or batteries needed. :-)

best be suited with something smaller (and less expensive) that she can read

Ginormous Used Book Sale, 9/9-12 (http://www.milehighonthecheap.com/2010/09/ginormous-used-book-sale-910/)

The Arapahoe Library District holds it annual used book sale, Thursday, Sept. 9 through Sunday, Sept. 12 at Koelbel Library. One of the largest such sales in the area, it boasts more than 40,000 books and other media. The sale is open to the public Thursday from 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Books are priced from $2.50 for hardbacks to 50¢ for paperbacks. Sunday is Bag Day. For $6 you can fill one of the library-provided bags. If you want to get in on the action early, consider becoming a Friend of the Library. Memberships start at $15 for seniors or students ($30 for individuals) and they get to attend a special preview sale on Wednesday, Sept. 8 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. 5955 S. Holly Street, Centennial; 303-542-7279

Or even crazier...

http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/libcards/co-jeffco.gif

Is my ludditity showing? Absolutely no help with the eReader since I still print out PDFs to read them.

corsair23
09-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm right there with you Dave...Unfortunately, much like the dog she got as a birthday present a few years ago, I'm not in the actual decision making process other than trying to ensure she gets something that will actually work well and not become an expensive piece of clutter :hill:

Chris
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree with everyone. I'll get an iPad because I need something big enough to see that can be a second computer as well. We bought a NetBook but they're inadequate as a computer. I like reading the news online but still prefer the feel of a book in my hand.

Bighead
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Not sure what your timeline is like but the Kindle is backordered by about a month. I'm waiting on mine.

corsair23
09-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Not sure what your timeline is like but the Kindle is backordered by about a month. I'm waiting on mine.

Thanks Lance...I'm in no hurry but the :Princess: probably is :hill:

So it looks like people have the Kindle and the Nook but no Sony E Reader users.

theboomboom
09-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I've checked out the kindle from the school library. It's neat, gets amazing battery life and if I'm not mistaken it has the ability to use wi-fi networks to get books/magazines even if they're passworded. It has a rudimentary web browser, you may stumble across this as a feature but know it's virtually worthless. The book selection is good. Print size is adjustable. It can "read" to you, but in a monotonous voice, so I do the hard work myself when using it... There are even a good number of free "classics" available through the kindle book store. I was part way through a Thoreau when I returned it to the library... Would never spend the money myself to buy it as a student, at least not until I can buy textbooks on it cheap. If I had the money to buy something now, it would likely be an iPad just because I like the extra features better.

Rzeppa
09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
My wife and I previewed and checked out both Kindle and Nook, and the Nook was hands-down the best for many reasons. Easier to see (display contrast) in bright daylight, much easier to figure out how to use, and a boatload more books available. She uses it daily.

It is not the swiss army knife the ipad is trying to be. While it has a built in andriod based browser, it isn't trying to be all things to everyone like the ipad tries to.

Batteries last well over a week in her typical daily use between charges. D/Ls on our home Wi-Fi network are really quick.

We are well aware of B&N's business issues but are very happy with the Nook.

Kenon698
09-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I have had the Nook for about a year. I love it.It is easy to down =load books. No wifi needed around the metro area. If you have wifi or are in a hot spot you can surf the internet. Books are reasonable and some reading is free.
Not sure of the price now but it has come down since I got mine.

Hulk
09-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Jeff, I checked out the Sony eReader today at Office Max. Pretty slick. Really easy to read. There were 2 models: I liked the touch screen version a bit more (only $20 more). I don't know what kind of content is available. Seems to me that for longevity of support for the device, your best bets would be a Kindle or an iPad. Neither Jeff Bezos nor Steve Jobs is going to give up on their quest to dominate.

Lars
09-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Got the pandigital for my mom. $129 for bed bath and beyond. can also do internet, email etc along with books. She like that it's back lit and can make the text bigger. As already stated, you can "check out" digital books from jeffco library from home.

Corbet
09-10-2010, 08:31 AM
From what I know about the ipad, it uses the iphone operating system. So if you plan to use it as a computer you "may" be disappointed.

My father-in-law has a Kindle and loves it. I have no personal experience as I don't really make the time to read much more than Trails and Bridger's children's books.

Hulk
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
The iPad Will Never Kill the Kindle (http://www.consumerevangelists.com/the-ipad-will-never-kill-the-kindle/)

The Kindle is smaller and lighter than an iPad, it costs a lot less, and the battery life is far superior. The “Swiss army knife” analogy is right on target. My Swiss army knife has a corkscrew, but that’s not my first choice when I want to open a bottle of wine.

:cool:

Rzeppa
09-10-2010, 08:57 PM
That's pretty much the same thing I wrote about the Nook versus the iPad. And after our own side by side comparisons, we decided that the Nook is far superior to the Kindle.

corsair23
09-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I really appreciate all of the comments.

We've narrowed it down to the Nook and the Sony - the biggest reason being the Kindle's limitations with downloading books from the library. I know it can be made to work (through other programs or via illegally stripping away the DRM), but this needs to be easy enough for the little :Princess: to operate and the Kindle seems to be more work than it is worth. The reality is she isn't going to want to spend to much real $$ buying books to read on this thing at her age...Neither am I :)

We'll go look at them tomorrow and decide. I think she is leaning on the Nook while I'm sort of leaning toward the Sony. I guess IMO Sony quality should be better but I don't know who actually makes the Nook for Barnes and Nobles. Some of the Nook "advantages" like being able to read books for free for up to an hour while in the store just aren't very appealing to most "tweeners"...