PDA

View Full Version : VH1 100 Greatest Artists of all time

Mountain Drew
09-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I have been watching this on tv for the past few days and I dont agree with like half of the list. Boston, Frank Sinatra (no body from the Rat Pack), The Doobie Brothers, Weird Al, should have been atleast mentioned on the list but were not! IM OUT RAGED!!! :eek: :confused:
I dont think that Mary J. Blige, Jay-Z, Outcast, Mariah Carey, or Beyonce should be on the list at all...
If it is going to be the 100 greatest artist of "ALL TIME", classical music should atleast have some mention.
The order of the list is also messed up! check it out.
http://stereogum.com/495331/vh1-100-greatest-artists-of-all-time/list/

How does every one else feel about this?!

nuclearlemon
09-09-2010, 07:07 PM
dude...vh1....doesn't that say it all?

Chris
09-09-2010, 07:50 PM
x2 - I didn't know VH1 was still around.

Hulk
09-10-2010, 12:31 AM
OK Drew, I'll take the bait. Here's the list with my comments.

100 Alicia Keys - really? I can't name a single song by her.
99 Hall & Oates - some catchy songs, but they aren't top 100 of all time quality.
98 Depeche Mode
97 Pretenders
96 Journey - Given the love for Journey in the last 10 years, I'm surprised they're not higher on the list. They probably wouldn't have made my top 100, but...
95 OutKast
94 Mariah Carey - No. She is the destructor.
93 Pearl Jam
92 LL Cool J
91 Green Day - Hell yeah!
90 Elvis Costello
89 Beastie Boys
88 Bee Gees
87 George Michael
86 N.W.A.
85 The Band
84 Curtis Mayfield
83 Earth, Wind and Fire
82 Steely Dan
81 ABBA - really?
80 Mary J. Blige - Maybe I just don't know enough of her stuff.
79 Eminem
78 Judas Priest - Naw. Fun, but not 100 best.
77 Lynyrd Skynyrd
76 Run-D.M.C.
75 Rush - Hell yeah!
74 The Cure
73 Van Morrison
72 Janis Joplin - I know she was amazing, but I can only listen to her in very small doses.
71 R.E.M.
70 Def Leppard - C'mon now. These guys are rated higher than The Band?
69 Tupac Shakur
68 Otis Redding
67 Coldplay - they have a few killer songs, but I just can't see them as top 100... yet.
66 Justin Timberlake
65 The Doors
64 Talking Heads
63 Notorious B.I.G.
62 Genesis
61 Cream
60 Whitney Houston - Dolly Parton wrote her biggest hit. Is Dolly on the list?
59 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
58 Cheap Trick
57 Iggy & The Stooges
56 KISS - none of these are timeless
55 Peter Gabriel
54 Public Enemy
53 Little Richard - yawn
52 Beyoncé
51 Billy Joel
50 Sade
49 Parliament-Funkadelic - hell yeah!
48 Rage Against The Machine
47 Jay-Z - gotta give Jay-Z some props. 99 Problems is one of the best songs evah.
46 Ramones - I know they're seminal, but when was the last time you purposely listened to a whole Ramones record? Yeah, me neither.
45 Al Green
44 Joni Mitchell
43 Ray Charles
42 Metallica
41 Van Halen
40 The Police
39 The Kinks
38 Sly & The Family Stone
37 Fleetwood Mac
36 Paul McCartney - it's really not necessary to put him in the list at all. He's in the freakin' Beatles up at numba one, for goodness sake. Give somebody else a chance!
35 Johnny Cash
34 Tina Turner
33 Guns N’ Roses
32 Black Sabbath
31 John Lennon - see comment on #36.
30 Aerosmith - If they were on my list, it would be further down. Dream On is a fantastic song, though.
29 Radiohead
28 Elton John
27 Aretha Franklin
26 Neil Young
25 Chuck Berry
24 The Velvet Underground
23 AC/DC
22 The Clash
21 Bruce Springsteen
20 Marvin Gaye
19 U2
18 Pink Floyd
17 Queen
16 Madonna - shouldn't we have Lady Gaga on here too?
15 The Beach Boys - yep.
14 Nirvana
13 The Who
12 David Bowie
11 Bob Marley
10 Stevie Wonder
09 James Brown
08 Elvis Presley
07 Prince - he should definitely be on the list, but it's disconcerting to see him ranked higher than James Brown.
06 Jimi Hendrix
05 Rolling Stones
04 Led Zeppelin
03 Michael Jackson - If he was on my list, it wouldn't be near this high.
02 Bob Dylan
01 The Beatles

MISSING from my list (not in order)
1. The Replacements
2. Wilco
3. Randy Newman
4. Lyle Lovett
5. Eurythmics
6. The White Stripes
7. Del Amitri
8. The Eagles
9. ZZ Top
10. Gomez
11. Jane's Addiction
12. Camper Van Beethoven
13. The Hold Steady
14. Elliott Smith
15. Jurassic 5
16. The Lemonheads
17. Modest Mouse
18. Nick Drake
19. Paul Simon (with or without Garfunkel)
20. Pixies
21. Smashing Pumpkins
22. Spoon
23. XTC

JadeRunner
09-10-2010, 08:41 AM
RUSH at #75? Still getting no respect I see.

nakman
09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
I have been watching this on tv for the past few days ...

Drew you should get a job man. :D

DaveInDenver
09-10-2010, 10:30 AM
9. ZZ Top

I took this exception to your addition because while ZZ Top does what they do well, it ends up being repetitive and uninspired IMHO. If on the original list, they might be out on mine. I would definitely not go so far as to addendum to include. I like a few of their albums but don't go out of my way to listen to them.

The rest of the VH-1 list, sure, whatever. I'd have thrown most of the ones you struck off out, too.

I would leave The Ramones for sure, probably The Stooges. I would have thrown out McCartney as a solo, leave Lennon. He did continue to develop where I think Paul just ended up with the same sappy junk. I might put George Harrison as a solo artist, too. Your point about The Beatles cover McCartney is right.

I think you have to put Uncle Tupelo and/or Son Volt on, although Wilco is certainly the most commercially successful of the UT/SV/Wilco family and probably overall the most talented. I prefer Jay Farrar and his songs over Jeff's, but that's just preference. UT was maybe not the absolutely first or necessarily the best alt.country/cowpunk, but hard to argue the most influential.

Guns 'N Roses - out
Timberlake - out
Beyonce - out

Honestly the list to me sounds like a playlist for a boomer who listens to KBCO. Looks like boring, predictable, safe classic rock & AAA. I like Public Enemy, N.W.A and RATM on there. I have always liked the Beastie Boys and the middle of the career (Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication) I think is actually good stuff, you know beyond just the dumb 15 year old me that will always fondly remember Fight For Your Right for reasons other than just musically.

For sorta popular artists you at least gotta throw Stevie Ray Vaughn, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Alex Chilton, Sex Pistols, Emmylou Harris & Gram Parsons, Radiohead, Mark Knopfler, Buddy Guy & John Lee Hooker & Muddy Water, MC5, The Byrds into the mix. It all depends on the criteria. There are hundreds of awesome bands that for one reason or the other never make it on the radio. Mostly it's a stylistic issue, it's too 'country', too 'hip hop', too 'hardcore', too 'political' for the mainstream. I mean Doug Sahm, Leadbelly, Billy Bragg, The Minutemen, Nanci Griffin, Vic Chesnutt, Throwing Muses or X are every bit as influential and talented as the top 100.

Lots of really good new (or still going) bands out there, too. Lucero, Drive-By-Truckers, Sonic Youth, Built to Spill, The Iguanas, Justin Townes Earle, Yo La Tengo, Eels, Animal Collective, The Flaming Lips, The Knux, 16 Horsepower, Apples in Stereo, Superchunk, Bright Eyes, etc. I'll take a band or artist still going any day over some dusty old group who's resting on their catalog from 1974 or long broken up.

02 Bob Dylan

I got his latest album, where he tries to play the blues. I've always had a love/hate feeling about Dylan. Sometimes I think he should just hang it up lately, though. Just have not been able to really 'get' Together Through Life, I dunno. Supposed to be such a great album and I think it's OK, but if it was not Dylan I think it would have been critically panned as mediocre.

Hulk
09-10-2010, 11:35 AM
That's some good stuff, Dave. I'm not much of a fan of anything ZZ Top did post-1983, but I love all their 70s stuff when they were pretty serious about the Texas blues. I saw them in San Antonio in May and they still sounded great.

I think CCR was on the original list, wasn't it?

Justin Timberlake has the chops to eventually make the list, but I don't think he's produced enough classic stuff to be there yet. I agree with removing the other two, although I think GnR was the last great hard rock.

I can't believe I forgot Uncle Tupelo.

Jay Farrar's solo stuff has kind of started to bore me, although I love Benjamin Gibbard and Jay Farrar's collaboration "One Fast Move or I'm Gone."

I thought about adding Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Leadbelly and a few others from your list. There probably needs to be a half dozen lists to cover people from every genre, and there's only a couple that I'm remotely qualified to comment on.

I can't stand Animal Collective. Just makes me want to slit my wrists.

I don't listen to much Bob Dylan personally, but I agree with him on the list. It's pretty amazing that he still releases anything worth listening to at all after close to 50 years in the biz. At this point, he could record himself taking a leak and not diminish his legacy.

DaveInDenver
09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, the Animal Collective will /never/ be a Top 'X' band. Mentioned them only because it's not same old formula. Sometimes just have to step off the curb into traffic, so to speak.

Oh, whatcha think of Thievery Corporation?

Jay vs. Jeff is like Paul vs. John.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
09-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Q:46 Ramones - I know they're seminal, but when was the last time you purposely listened to a whole Ramones record? Yeah, me neither.

The last two days i've had them in my player.
Saw them live in 78' they will be in my top 10 :thumb:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
09-10-2010, 03:53 PM
AND WHY ARE THE BEATLES ALWAYS #1

THEY SUCK!!!!:eek:

Mountain Drew
09-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I see some of your thought processes Matt, I'm not sure about modest mouse tho. Great, but not all time great. Madonna is another one, I dont like her music but she has put out a top 10 single every decade for 4 decades so she can stay with the times and still make herself relivent, so she should be on there but not as high.

Drew you should get a job man. :D

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Tim dont tell my dad he reads this!!! :D

FJ 432
09-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Is Eric Clapton on the list? Maybe I missed him...

DaveInDenver
09-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Is Eric Clapton on the list? Maybe I missed him...
Cream is on there.

DaveInDenver
09-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Built to Spill
...are playing tonight (9/18) at the Gothic.

http://www.gothictheatre.com/show/detail/32059

Dr. Schlegs
09-18-2010, 08:53 AM
AND WHY ARE THE BEATLES ALWAYS #1

THEY SUCK!!!!:eek:

Easy there Trigger. :lmao:

I would like to how how this list got compiled. Some of these bands have only been around the past 5 years. I did not see Stevie Ray Vaugh, Queen, Hendrix, or Deep Purple.

Hulk
09-20-2010, 10:38 AM
...are playing tonight (9/18) at the Gothic.

http://www.gothictheatre.com/show/detail/32059

:( Missed it.

Corbet
09-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I didn't see Dire Straits on either list. Maybe I'm the only fan. But its VH1.

SRT08BUS
09-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I would say Daft Punk and The Roots should be on there, some like Beyonce and a couple others I saw were just a bit recent to be adding them. The Beetles were a 'ground breaking' band but not a fan of them except a couple of songs, but they are better than The Beach Boys....was Led on there as well, oh ya and Pink Floyd!!!

And what about Wu-Tang Clan, AC/DC?

DaveInDenver
09-23-2010, 07:39 PM

bh4rnnr
09-23-2010, 08:34 PM
OK Drew, I'll take the bait. Here's the list with my comments.

100 Alicia Keys - really? I can't name a single song by her.
99 Hall & Oates - some catchy songs, but they aren't top 100 of all time quality.
98 Depeche Mode
97 Pretenders
96 Journey - Given the love for Journey in the last 10 years, I'm surprised they're not higher on the list. They probably wouldn't have made my top 100, but...
95 OutKast
94 Mariah Carey - No. She is the destructor.
93 Pearl Jam
92 LL Cool J
91 Green Day - Hell yeah!
90 Elvis Costello
89 Beastie Boys
88 Bee Gees
87 George Michael
86 N.W.A.
85 The Band
84 Curtis Mayfield
83 Earth, Wind and Fire
82 Steely Dan
81 ABBA - really?
80 Mary J. Blige - Maybe I just don't know enough of her stuff.
79 Eminem
78 Judas Priest - Naw. Fun, but not 100 best.
77 Lynyrd Skynyrd
76 Run-D.M.C.
75 Rush - Hell yeah!
74 The Cure
73 Van Morrison
72 Janis Joplin - I know she was amazing, but I can only listen to her in very small doses.
71 R.E.M.
70 Def Leppard - C'mon now. These guys are rated higher than The Band?
69 Tupac Shakur
68 Otis Redding
67 Coldplay - they have a few killer songs, but I just can't see them as top 100... yet.
66 Justin Timberlake
65 The Doors
64 Talking Heads
63 Notorious B.I.G.
62 Genesis
61 Cream
60 Whitney Houston - Dolly Parton wrote her biggest hit. Is Dolly on the list?
59 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
58 Cheap Trick
57 Iggy & The Stooges
56 KISS - none of these are timeless
55 Peter Gabriel
54 Public Enemy
53 Little Richard - yawn
52 Beyoncé
51 Billy Joel
50 Sade
49 Parliament-Funkadelic - hell yeah!
48 Rage Against The Machine
47 Jay-Z - gotta give Jay-Z some props. 99 Problems is one of the best songs evah.
46 Ramones - I know they're seminal, but when was the last time you purposely listened to a whole Ramones record? Yeah, me neither.
45 Al Green
44 Joni Mitchell
43 Ray Charles
42 Metallica
41 Van Halen
40 The Police
39 The Kinks
38 Sly & The Family Stone
37 Fleetwood Mac
36 Paul McCartney - it's really not necessary to put him in the list at all. He's in the freakin' Beatles up at numba one, for goodness sake. Give somebody else a chance!
35 Johnny Cash
34 Tina Turner
33 Guns N’ Roses
32 Black Sabbath
31 John Lennon - see comment on #36.
30 Aerosmith - If they were on my list, it would be further down. Dream On is a fantastic song, though.
29 Radiohead
28 Elton John
27 Aretha Franklin
26 Neil Young
25 Chuck Berry
24 The Velvet Underground
23 AC/DC
22 The Clash
21 Bruce Springsteen
20 Marvin Gaye
19 U2
18 Pink Floyd
17 Queen
16 Madonna - shouldn't we have Lady Gaga on here too?
15 The Beach Boys - yep.
14 Nirvana
13 The Who
12 David Bowie
11 Bob Marley
10 Stevie Wonder
09 James Brown
08 Elvis Presley
07 Prince - he should definitely be on the list, but it's disconcerting to see him ranked higher than James Brown.
06 Jimi Hendrix
05 Rolling Stones
04 Led Zeppelin
03 Michael Jackson - If he was on my list, it wouldn't be near this high.
02 Bob Dylan
01 The Beatles

MISSING from my list (not in order)
1. The Replacements
2. Wilco
3. Randy Newman
4. Lyle Lovett
5. Eurythmics
6. The White Stripes
7. Del Amitri
8. The Eagles
9. ZZ Top
10. Gomez
11. Jane's Addiction
12. Camper Van Beethoven
13. The Hold Steady
14. Elliott Smith
15. Jurassic 5
16. The Lemonheads
17. Modest Mouse
18. Nick Drake
19. Paul Simon (with or without Garfunkel)
20. Pixies
21. Smashing Pumpkins
22. Spoon
23. XTC

Great list! But Justin lower than PJ? Dont know if I agree with that..... And what about Adrenalin? Loved "Road of the Gypsy"! Will be honest that that movie, I watched way to much, almost as much as Short Circuit:eek:

And no Less than Jake?:eek:.

LGF_R8wtgvA

hs8y3kneqrs

krXG307d4k8