PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro - Like New

pmccumber
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
My Father-In-Law passed away a month or so ago and we're digging through the prodigious pile of stuff that he bought every single day of his life (in lieu of passing on his legacy to his children and grandchildren - but I digress). Anybody want a Taser? (I wish I was kidding - he has 5 of them - again, disgressing).

One the finds was a MacBook Pro A1260. The guy was 88 years old, nearly blind, couldn't remember where the bathroom was the last year. Somehow he managed to get a MacBook Pro.

This thing looks pretty nice. I doubt that it has been used for an hour in its life. I raised my blood pressure trying to figure out what the system resources was until I finally gave up on the intuitive Mac OS and searched Google (Go to 'Finder' and search for 'Profiler' - this is a very nice app actually) and ran it and came up with this:

o Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (3 mB of L2 Cache - this is a very good part!).
o 2 gB or RAM
o nVidia GeForce 8600 GT video on a 15.5" LCD (that's pretty good too).
o DVDRW
o Hitachi 250gB SATA drive
o Mac OS 10.5.2

I looked on eBay and there were 1/2 dozen with "Buy It Now" for $1000 to $1200. I am gonna ask for $850 here. If this is way off either way, somebody PM me. I don't know the market for Macs very well.

Paul 303.875.3154

DaveInDenver
09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Those are nice Macs, probably from 2008 or so. Based on the 'Penryn' MPU and can accept up to 6GB of RAM (officially 4GB, 2 slots PC2-5300, 667MHz). They were north of $2,500 when they were new. Kirsten's is the MBP that came out just before these, maybe 6 months, based on the 'Merom' (what Apple called the Santa Rosa platform) and it's just starting to really show it's age. But it's been dropped a few times and generally beat up for 3 years during her studies. It spent a whole lot of nights churning on a rendering (she did architecture school). The lid barely closes at all. The aluminum case does the job I guess.

pmccumber
09-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Those are nice Macs, probably from 2008 or so. Based on the 'Penryn' MPU and can accept up to 6GB of RAM (officially 4GB, 2 slots PC2-5300, 667MHz). They were north of $2,500 when they were new. Kirsten's is the MBP that came out just before these, maybe 6 months, based on the 'Merom' (what Apple called the Santa Rosa platform) and it's just starting to really show it's age. But it's been dropped a few times and generally beat up for 3 years during her studies. It spent a whole lot of nights churning on a rendering (she did architecture school). The lid barely closes at all. The aluminum case does the job I guess.

His was bought in September 2008. It has 800MHz RAM. The MacBook Pros are 'Enterprise Class' laptops. If you buy Dell for example, you have to lie to get the Latitude as they will only sell you the Consumer class which don't have the shock and thermal standards that their Enterprise Class do. Even then, Apple might even exceed most Enterprise laptops. The one exception were the old Thinkpads (can't speak for the new ones).

BTW, there is an identical system on boulder craigslist and the guy is asking $1400 and the charger is broken. I listed on boulder cl for $1025. Smokin' deal for RS classifieds.

coax
11-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Long shot, but is this still available?