PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like the beginning of a scam?

El Jefe
05-17-2006, 11:43 PM
I got this email from a guy, who is apparently interested in buying my dirtbike:
Chris, thanks for the update, Im in Los Angeles so I have to plan a trip to do this. I was wondering if you have a paypal account or would you take a cashiers check and can you store the bike until mid June so I can have time to plan my trip and get the time off...etc let me know....Thanks ...Chris

I will ask for the cashier's check, and don't mind holding the bike till June, if the check clears. I know cashier's checks are guaranteed, etc., but still. Would any of you be nervous about doing a deal like this?

My thought is to write back and basically say, send the check, once it clears I'll hold the bike for him till 30 June. If he doesn't pick it up by then, then the bike goes back on the market and I keep the $, but I'm not sure if I could legally keep the $ or not. We would have a written agreement, through email, for the purchase, which I believe would be legally binding.

Whaddya think? I don't like the smell of this one...

Chris

wesintl
05-17-2006, 11:59 PM
cashiers checks are not guaranteed. That's why the use them and forge bad ones. Or maybe I should say when the nigerian scammers send you a forged one you think it's guaranteed but obviosly it's not. That's why they use em people think they are 100% guarnteed.

If if smells like a scam.. is usually is a scam.

farnhamstj
05-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Once the cashiers check is in your hands you are good to go. It's just like getting cash. You are not risking anything I believe. You'll have the money and the bike. My buddy got burned the other way buying a bike off e-bay. Sent the guy a $800 cashiers check, never got the bike. cashiers checks are not insured, E-bay refunded $150 but otherwise he's out. Nothing else he could do. Paypal the money has footprints and can be refunded forcefully.

Shark Bait
05-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Aren't there plenty of dirt bikes in LA? I'd feel better doing a local deal. But maybe that's just me. I suppose if you don't mind waiting a month to close he deal it's OK. Tough call.

El Jefe
05-18-2006, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't feel too bad about it once the money is in my account...I'll still have the bike here till/if he picks it up. Just kinda feels weird. And yeah, I'd rather deal locally, and may in fact have a buyer here. But the guy here is kinda waffling, said to sell it to someone else if I have the chance.

I think I'll see if I can talk to this guy on the phone...

Thanks everyone!
Chris

Uncle Ben
05-18-2006, 01:27 AM
If you get the check and it clears I don't see where you would loose. The buyer has more of a risk than you.

El Jefe
05-18-2006, 01:44 AM
I'll let you know what happens...

Chris

El Jefe
05-18-2006, 01:55 AM
My response (not sent yet):

Chris,

I have paypal, but would prefer a cashier's check. Once the check clears, I'll hold the bike for you until 30 June, 2006. After that, it goes back on the market and I'll keep the money...consider it incentive to get to Denver! Besides that, it will be off the market till you pick it up or the end of June, and I could lose potential sales if you aren't able to make it here. I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. But I don't want to miss out on selling it either. If you want to buy it according to the conditions above, let me know, and I'll send you my address.

Thx!
Chris

Did I miss anything?
Chris

Hulk
05-18-2006, 02:41 AM
You've got to be careful. If you deposit a check into your account, the sender of the check now has access to your checking account number, your name, and the bank routing numbers. He can write a "demand draft" which will drain your account of funds in a heartbeat. Read more here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7914159/

Beware checks from online services, like:
http://www.qchex.com/
I got one of these last year. I was suspicious, and called the bank (in Seattle). Sure enough, the account on which it was drawn had been closed.

I think PayPal may be a safer bet, sorry to say.

IanB
05-18-2006, 06:31 AM
I would go with Paypal, its safer. Just remember they charge you (the receiver) so you need to add that to the purchase price.

nuclearlemon
05-18-2006, 08:27 AM
it's a scam....sounds exactly like the nigerian scams that were going around

Kipper
05-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Can you cash a cashier's check or money order somewhere other than your bank and deposit cash? The guy has really good grammar, usually the scammers start with something like this:

"Hello Dear Mr. Estinguished Chris - I am for to writing you in agreement that motor bike in good condition for acceptable purchase. I will give payment to you of $10,000 for KTM motor bike in return for you doing for me a simple favor to me. I will send you $15,000 by cashiers check in return for the motor bike and a cashier's check $2,000. You must can keep the change for doing the service for me reasons of government information.

With Sincerest Kind Regards Sincerely,

Mr. Roger Jones

El Jefe
05-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to pass on this one...

Chris

Hulk
05-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Can you cash a cashier's check or money order somewhere other than your bank and deposit cash? The guy has really good grammar, usually the scammers start with something like this:

"Hello Dear Mr. Estinguished Chris - I am for to writing you in agreement that motor bike in good condition for acceptable purchase. I will give payment to you of $10,000 for KTM motor bike in return for you doing for me a simple favor to me. I will send you $15,000 by cashiers check in return for the motor bike and a cashier's check $2,000. You must can keep the change for doing the service for me reasons of government information.

With Sincerest Kind Regards Sincerely,

Mr. Roger Jones

Dude, that is spot on! :lmao::bowdown:

60wag
05-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I too think Paypal is the safer choice. Read up on the Nigerian fraud thing. I knew a guy who got bit by it. He deposited the cashiers check, then checked on it several days later. His bank told him it had cleared. It wasn't until several weeks later that the bank then said it was fake and he was responsible for it. It was a real mess - lots of lawyers fees to straighten it out.