PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon

Air Randy
09-13-2010, 05:34 PM
We just got back from the Marlin Crawler Rubicon Roundup. Justin from Redline went with me and I was driving the Gecko, Joe Lorenzo (HeepEtr) and his dad were there in his 4Runner as well as a friend (Matt) and his wife Anna in their 40. It was a blast! The scenery is amazing, the trail is awesome and we had a great time camping along the way and attending the central event at Rubicon Springs. That went really well too, I was lucky and won the grand prize of a tranny rebuild by Marlin himself.

We took all of the hard lines on the trail and made every one except the Little Sluice. Joe made it through Little Sluice in his Runner with minor body damage but we gave up in the Gecko after we bent one of the front leaf springs. It was too early in the trail to risk damage that might keep us off of the rest of the trail.

Joe's dad was the official photographer and took a ton of pictures, once he emails them to me we'll get some posted up.

nuclearlemon
09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
as uncle ben says...no pics, it didn't happen

MDH33
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Very cool Randy, you're all getting out on the trails a ton this year, I'm jealous. :thumb:

Looking forward to the pics. :beer:

Rock Dog
09-13-2010, 06:40 PM
I was lucky and won the grand prize of a tranny rebuild by Marlin himself.

Awsome Randy! could not get a better rebuilt tranny than that! :thumb::thumb:

FJBRADY
09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Right on :thumb: looking forward to the pictures.

Hulk
09-13-2010, 09:54 PM
That's way cool that you went. Any idea how many participants in the Marlin event? How does it compare to the size of Rubithon (I know you weren't at both events, but did anyone comment on this)?

corsair23
09-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Way :cool:

Looking forward to the pictures. I think the Rubithon has been one of my all time favorite trips. Of course a lot of that has to do with the people but it was a fun trip...Although I could live without the skeeters :hill:

RLMS
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I think that at least 250 rigs showed up! It was a stand still on the trail for 1-2 hrs,at least 2 times!!!

We had a blast! Thanks again
Randy

Justin

corsair23
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I remember that bridge. If you've never run the Rubicon before that is when you start thinking the trail is over...But it is just a trick :lmao:

Tch2fly
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
I remember that bridge. If you've never run the Rubicon before that is when you start thinking the trail is over...But it is just a trick :lmao:

Wasn't somebody's kid playing up the beams :rolleyes:

:lmao:

Hulk
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Wasn't somebody's kid playing up the beams?

Yes. He was AWESOME!

:thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
250 rigs sounds like a huge Marlin/Rubicon turnout....

Maybe had something to do with the fact that only 75 rigs ran the Rubithon this year, becasuse of the snow..

Air Randy
09-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Marlin had 120 rigs officially pre-registered for the the formal event. Another 50 or so showed up for the event and the BBQ. The rest were other groups that decided to run the trail at the same time that weren't part of the MC event. For example I think there was a big run for old IH Scouts as we saw groups of them on the trail of up to 25-30 rigs.

Air Randy
09-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Finally got some pictures!

Pic 1 = Some of the awesome scenery at the beginning of the trail. You have to get used to this pretty quick or you will spend all of your time taking pictures of it instead of wheeling.

Pic 2 = Justin and I were in the Gecko

Pic 3 = Matt & Anna were in their 40

Pic 4 = Joe Alonzo (JLo :D) & his dad were in his awesome 4Runner

Pic 5 = Who said the Gecko was only suitable for rock crawling and not camping trips? Plus we drove it 90 miles on the pavement to get to the trailhead.

Uncle Ben
09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Finally got some pictures!

Pic 1 = Some of the awesome scenery at the beginning of the trail. You have to get used to this pretty quick or you will spend all of your time taking pictures of it instead of wheeling.

Pic 2 = Justin and I were in the Gecko

Pic 3 = Matt & Anna were in their 40

Pic 4 = Joe Alonzo (JLo :D) & his dad were in his awesome 4Runner

Pic 5 = Who said the Gecko was only suitable for rock crawling and not camping trips? Plus we drove it 90 miles on the pavement to get to the trailhead.

Looks like the onlookers/hecklers watching were un-impressed by anything other than the Runner!

Air Randy
09-25-2010, 12:41 PM
More pictures:

1-JLo on the big rocks
2-More purty scenery (yawn)
3-Matt working his 40 through a tight spot. Note, Matt was locked in the rear and open in the front. He took very few bypasses and his rig did awesome. We were all very impressed with the new style Goodyear Kevlar MTR radials he was running. They really hooked up on everything.
4-The Gecko coming through a really tight spot
5-JLo makin it look easy, it was always fun to watch his suspension work

Air Randy
09-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Last set

1-The Gecko workin it's way down the Big Sluice. This really gives you a good idea of what most of the trail is like. It was 3 days of heaven!

2-Crossing the bridge into Rubicon Springs

3-One of the smaller ledges

4-Party central!

5-The gang left to right, JLo's dad David, JLo himself, me, Justin, Matt and Anna. It was a great time and we really enjoyed everyone's company.

No real carnage to speak of considering the length of the trail, the obstacles and the fact we were toting a lot of weight with all of the camping stuff. We tweaked a front leaf spring on the Gecko on a rock but nothing serious, Matt lost a power seering pump (good thing he works out) and JLo got some door dings that he whined about for days :)

If you get a chance to make this trip, do it. It's a long drive but the scenery is spectacular and the wheeling is awesome.

bh4rnnr
09-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Looks like a great time Randy:thumb:. One of these years i'll get out there....

:beer:

FJBRADY
09-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to that trip someday.:thumb:

farnhamstj
09-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the pics. I'd like to do that trail someday. Maybe when the odo on the 100 turns 300,000 miles