PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Your Hard Drive

farnhamstj
09-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Friendly reminder that at any moment you can lose all your most important digital stuff. My motherboard went on my Dell. My 'puter no workie. Of course I had an important meeting in 2 days and everything is on my expensive paperweight. Good by Vista hello 7 Good news is my HD was fine and everything is mostly there. I have to cut and paste lots of stuff to be able to read things. Strange stuff I haven't figured out. I can't open my gmail from Google Chrome, or explorer, but I can with firefox. can't get into capitol one either.

$600 later my ass is saved and I look like a Rockstar at the meeting.

corsair23
09-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Good reminder Farnham...Learned my lesson after my external WD My Book took the big dump with zero warning. Luckily for me I hadn't yet decided that I really needed the space on my main drive yet so I still had the data. Now I have 3 copies of my data, and soon to be 4. Overkill? Probably :hill:

I have the data on my main drive and have that duplicated on one 750GB external drive which is backed up by a 2nd 750GB external drive, both of which are sitting in a dual SATA external docking bay dealyo. The 4th copy will be onto a portable HD that every so often I'll dump the irreplaceable stuff onto (photos, videos, etc.) that will then be put in the fireproof safe. Drives are getting so inexpensive anymore you can have backups of the backups on the cheap :)

Or you could just go with one of those online data backup companies but I prefer to store my own data, safely :)

MDH33
09-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Good tips guys. :thumb: I just bought a firesafe after the 4 mile canyon fire reminder, so I think I'll be dropping a hard drive in it as well with all my photos, etc. Both Kim and I have had drives fail and lost a lot of work, but luckily nothing personal like photos.

Lars
09-16-2010, 06:40 AM
Redundancy is good!!!:D

pmccumber
09-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Gmail has a ghastly amount of storage now and there are Firefox plugins that let you use that space as a repository. I would suggest using an encrypted archive though. If you don't have good Unix style tools on hand, Winzip will do it for you.

PabloCruise
09-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Redundancy is good!!!:D

Redundancy is good!!!

Inukshuk
09-16-2010, 08:49 AM
I also suggest using one of several image creating backup software to take a "snapshot" of your "C" drive. I have a setup with two physical internal drives divided into six partitions so that the C drive is kept as small a possible - just the OS and programs. All data is on other partitions and thus easily backed up to external devices. If C takes a dump you can have your OS back up and running in a few hours - no need to reinstall and update everything.

corsair23
09-16-2010, 12:39 PM
If C takes a dump you can have your OS back up and running in a few hours - no need to reinstall and update everything.

Now where is the fun in that? :hill:

Something I need to do though...Good suggestion

rhyary
09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
My music drive took a hit about two months ago. I am still in the process of ripping my CDs into the new one. :-(

nuclearlemon
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
all my photos, music, personal files, and some os files are backed up at least once a month on a separate hard drive (many are run off an external that is usually powered off). said separate hard drive is in my safe, unfortunately, it's just a standard fire safe. some day, i hope to purchase a computer safe fire safe.

pmccumber
09-16-2010, 10:00 PM
RAID 1 if you're worried about your home pc. Just about every chipset supports it now. This computer and the server (themccumbers.com) have two 1TB drives configured as RAID 1. If one of the fails, not a thing hurt. Get another drive and stick it in. On the Linux system, it will rebuild the mirror automatically. On Vista and 7, OS utils will do it. A 1TB is less than $100 now. I would MUCH rather do this than store it on a USB drive (cuz I won't do it).

Still doesn't stop the fire problem. Gotta go offsite for that.