PDA

View Full Version : Plan to extend vehicle-emissions tests to Weld, Larimer counties meets resistance

SteveH
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16119830

RedCreeper
09-20-2010, 10:23 AM
What crap! I move away from the politics to just get in the middle of it again. Here is another expense and no increase in income coming in. Are they trying to force us to the streets?

DaveInDenver
09-20-2010, 10:28 AM
That sucks. The SW corner of Weld County is really just as much 'Denver' as Douglas, though.

RedCreeper
09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
The only thing i smell out here contributing to the front range air quality is the turkey poo... horse crap.... cow doo.... goat pee.... i am sure i am missing a smell or two.

Chris
09-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Air quality and auto emissions are directly related. I'd rather deal with emissions than breathe the infamous brown cloud of Denver's past. Yes, this is coming from a guy who took 7 tries and 100's of dollars before passing a week or so ago.

I was told by people at AirCare that testing facilities will be opening up in both northern and southern suburbs. Colorado Springs was mentioned by name.

PabloCruise
09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Crikey! They just canned the emissions testing a few years ago up here!

Sure am glad I did my PS mod on the 40 to include the air pump. (Then also glad I got collectors plates for the 40 and 55)

They are doing a lot of monitoring using those mobile vans on the on ramps @ I-25 up here. I just drove through one this morning...

SteveH
09-20-2010, 04:24 PM
The aircarecolorado.com site says these vehicles (among others) are exempted:

Pre -1975 collector-plated vehicles

So, this implies that a collector-plated '78 FJ40 would not be exempted.

Steve

treerootCO
09-20-2010, 04:48 PM
The aircarecolorado.com site says these vehicles (among others) are exempted:

Pre -1975 collector-plated vehicles

So, this implies that a collector-plated '78 FJ40 would not be exempted.

Steve

Effective: September 1, 2009:

Vehicles 1975 or older can apply for collectors plates at DMV
One (1) Tail-pipe emissions test is not required
Registration is done every 5 years
If ownership changes: emissions test is not required if new owner applies for collectors plates at DMV
But if new owner applies for regular plates, emissions test & registration is required every year.

"Grandfathered" Collector Vehicles:
1976 to 1984 vehicles registered as collector vehicles before September 1 2009 If owner does not register vehicle before end of grace period, collector plates are no longer valid; therefore, owner must get the appropriate emissions test and will receive regular plates

If ownership changes:
Vehicle cannot be automatically registered as collector vehicle; must comply with emissions standards.
1984 to 1982 dyne test - 1981 & older tail-pipe test - 1975 & older no test (see above definition)

FJ40zen
09-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks Mike. I had to read through that a couple of times back in 2009 to get it straight.

I think there was talk in Weld Co. a few months ago that they were wanting to ignore the State mandate anyway. Did anyone else hear that also?

The test seems kind of silly anyway for a vehicle that most people drive less than 5000 miles per year. Not a big contributer IMO.

:beer:

corsair23
09-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Air quality and auto emissions are directly related.

True, but I believe the studies have shown that emissions testing has done little for the improved air quality around here...What has helped most is newer vehicles replacing older vehicles and the fact that the street sweepers are typically out in force after snow storms to pick up the gravel/sand before it get crushed and blown up into the air. Just what I've read and from what smarter people than me have told me :hill:

Chris
09-21-2010, 07:15 AM
I did some checking a while back and Will see if I can find the reports that show the effectiveness. I'm not an advocate of emissions testing but was surprised when I read the EPA report. Prior to living in CO I lived in MN and they shut the program down when their testing showed it hadn't helped at all. :blah:

DaveInDenver
09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
If Air Care Colorado was about air quality, why then if you throw enough money at a failing car they can eventually give you a waiver? Shouldn't a failing car be forced off the road? It's about the state collecting money, that's all.

Air Randy
09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
If Air Care Colorado was about air quality, why then if you throw enough money at a failing car they can eventually give you a waiver? Shouldn't a failing car be forced off the road? It's about the state collecting money, that's all.

I believe they found that the vast majority of cars that failed could be made compliant if X dollars were spent to repair it. Thus they set an upper limit that would fix the vast majority but not force the isolated case into bankruptcy by forcing them to spend too much on repairs or replacing the vehicle. It must be accidental I'm sure since government never looks out for the little guy ;)

DaveInDenver
09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
I believe they found that the vast majority of cars that failed could be made compliant if X dollars were spent to repair it. Thus they set an upper limit that would fix the vast majority but not force the isolated case into bankruptcy by forcing them to spend too much on repairs or replacing the vehicle. It must be accidental I'm sure since government never looks out for the little guy ;)
How about not spending $25 to jump through the hoops at all? That might be nice to leave in the bank, you know, not just for the poor little guy but everyone. Pollution isn't caused by varnished carbs and bad ignition points anymore, cars are a lot different now than 1982. The cost limit is $715, BTW. That isn't chump change.

Chris
09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Shouldn't a failing car be forced off the road? It's about the state collecting money, that's all.

That's it Dave, make those that can least afford an emissions compliant vehicle walk. It may be a difficult concept to grasp but repairs of $750 does effectively remove cars from the road but still allows some, who can least afford it, an alternative to buying a new used car that would probably fail too.