PDA

View Full Version : Semi-pro HD video advice needed

Hulk
09-22-2010, 01:00 PM
My company has a slot on RFDTV in December. Were going on location to shoot some video that will be part of the broadcast. Our plan is to shoot this ourselves rather than hire a professional, which is a risky plan since we dont know all the ins and outs of shooting broadcast quality video. But were willing to learn, and well quickly recoup the cost of equipment in one or two shoots. We also want to use the equipment in the future for online demonstrations that well post to our website.

Does anyone here have any recommendations on equipment? Im thinking we need:

Semi-pro videocamera that records HD in a variety of aspects (4:3 and 16:9). Should record to hard drive or some other sort of data storage we definitely want tapeless storage. Our price range is probably up to $3K, but ~$2K would be better.
External microphone(s)
Lights (do we need these?)
Tripod
Anything else

Anything you can recommend would be really helpful. We're willing to spend some money on equipment, but we don't want to buy the wrong stuff or not buy something essential. TIA!

CardinalFJ60
09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Since you are looking for a professional result, I'd recommend a 2-3 light setup (continuous lighting of course). soft-boxes or umbrellas would help soften the output.

you could also entertain the idea of getting a reflector or two.

this all depends on where and when you will be shooting.
Outdoors - maybe you just need some reflectors to fill in some shadows
Indoors - if there's little available light, weird light (read as flourescent), etc...you'll want to experiment with the hot lights.

Get the White balance correct in the video camera, too.

there are lots of basic tutorials online to get the initial setup and you can tweak from there.

lighting for photography and videography is quite similar.

coax
09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't think this falls into your category of budget, but this is what was recommended to me as what a lot of different people are using for filming digital, though I think it falls into the higher end category. Sorry not much help, unless you can find one used maybe? Or rent one?

http://www.red.com/store/tags/cameras

corsair23
09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
What about a professional wedding videographer? Sure, they may know nothing about shooting video for a broadcast but they might have good tips/tricks on good videocameras for use in less than ideal conditions. Not much help otherwise. IMO a lot of less expensive videocameras anymore shoot great quality video but the audio sucks...Good external wireless mics might be very useful in this case if supported but be careful of wind...Nothing ruins a good video more than constant wind noise IMO.

Hulk
09-22-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't think this falls into your category of budget, but this is what was recommended to me as what a lot of different people are using for filming digital, though I think it falls into the higher end category. Sorry not much help, unless you can find one used maybe? Or rent one?

http://www.red.com/store/tags/cameras

:eek: Yeah, that's out of our budget.