PDA

View Full Version : My House Remodel Thread

J Kimmel
09-23-2010, 08:44 AM
I had a few good months at work, and have been meaning to do something to my house. As I lucked out (for me anyhow), Rockrunner (Tom Rompies) got laid off and decided to get back into remodeling. So we got together and made a plan, figuring out what to do. Tom convinced me to do a couple extra things now, but it wasn't too hard. I grew up with my mother constantly remodeling so I knew do as much as you can in one shot, so you don't have to clean up more than once.

So there is a bunch of stuff on tap...where do I start?

I have a small brick home built in the 60's in Lakewood, so that means no big bathrooms, no big bathrooms, no great room, etc. I also have no interior load bearing walls since its a truss roof. The first thing I wanted done was to get my bathroom remodeled. Then we decided to knock out the dividing walls between the dining room and the living room, and that included making the wall between the kitchen and dining room a half wall.
...and then we decided to cut in a sliding glass door at the same time
...and also get rid of the ugly flooring in the kitchen, since we are 90% sure there is matching hardwood under it

on to a few pictures :)

J Kimmel
09-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I had a few requirements for Tom when we started, I thought were pretty simple.

-I wanted good work, its got to be done right.
-I wanted him to show up and do the work (I've seen people chase contractors way too much, I don't have the time nor do I want to deal with it)
-I am not made of money, so I have to be budget conscious

I have to tell you, we started the demo Friday the 10th, and thus far I couldn't be happier :) So far the drywall is almost done, tile starts today, and flooring should be done next week.

The pictures above are what it looked like before we started. I love my house, but it is small, and sort of maze like since the room used to be a bedroom at one point.

The cubby in the wall was over my stove, going into the dining room. That is now a half wall.
The window pictured now has a 72" sliding glass door in it.

Talk about opening up my house...so far its brand new. The only compromise we have had to make thus far is the column, its not load bearing but my main furnace vent is there, and there really isn't another good place to put it, so Tom built a column around it and drywalled it yesterday. It will have matching trim and crown molding around the top.

Dr. Schlegs
09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
It looks great. Glad to hear that Tom is getting work, and Club members are able to support him. It is a tough time for everyone :(.

nakman
09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Wow that's really good looking, I'm sure with that new sliding door it feels like a new house. Keep the pictures coming! :thumb:

leiniesred
09-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Wow Jeremy! When you go for a project, you go all the way!
Looked good before, but it is going to be even cooler with that slider in there.

Right on!

J Kimmel
09-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow Jeremy! When you go for a project, you go all the way!
Looked good before, but it is going to be even cooler with that slider in there.

Right on!

like I said, I've been through renovations before, and doing it in steps is good for the wallet, not so good for cleaning:( It wasn't hard for him to convince me.

I'm ecstatic how its coming out, and yes, it is like a new house. Tom is moving along at a great pace and so far the work is far better than what I could do:o

I'm already excited for a deck next spring:eek:

J Kimmel
09-23-2010, 10:09 AM
here are a couple from last night

the last two are the flooring in my kitchen, which is 1/4" masonite, 12"x24" tiles that look like ceramic tile. They were in my bathroom as well, think Pergo, I hate them.

The last pic is my wood floors, that is what I will now have in my kitchen as well, so throughout the entire upstairs of my house except the bathroom. :D

TIMZTOY
09-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Very very nice ! You having a house warming party when done ?

Great craftsmen ship Tom ! Looks great.

J Kimmel
09-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Well the bathroom vanity will be mocked into place today, I think the majority of the work will be done this week. Tom thinks he'll be done, I am thinking mid next week, there is just a lot left. There is a lot done though.
The floor is all in, it just needs sanding and feather in stain to match.
The drywall is done, ready for paint.
Tile in the bathroom should be ready for grout tomorrow.

Then I think we can paint and clean. And clean some more. And probably clean a bit more after that. The scary thing is that Tom has done an incredible job of keeping everything clean...its just a messy deal no matter what you do. But its worth it :)

leiniesred
09-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow fantastic wall tiles! and the hardwood throughout will be really nice. I like the way the new hardwood meets the old in a less than obvious way. should blend in really well.
LOOKS GREAT!

J Kimmel
09-29-2010, 10:31 AM
same here, he pulled a decent sized section of flooring and re-used some of the old with new to blend it all in. you won't be able to tell where it was once he is done :)

the tile looks really good, but you really won't get the feel for it until it is grouted.

AxleIke
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
WOW! Congrats man! Looks really good. Great work by all, and glad Tom is getting some work.

Rezarf
09-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Looks great, keep it up!

J Kimmel
10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I thought I would put up a couple shots of recent progress. The kitchen area is done. Luckily I have a friend who can do countertops, since getting such a small piece is proving difficult. Most places have a $1000 minimum order...my piece I need is about 100 bucks. I have some samples coming to verify its the right one, and he will build it for me. Otherwise its done.
The drywall is done, and I painted it this weekend. That is a huge relief...anyone who has done drywall knows how dirty it can be!

Tile in the bathroom is 99% done, there are a couple of small pieces around the window to be put down, and it is all ready for grout. The fixture and sink installation will be quick.

The last thing is the tile in the kitchen floor and re-surfacing the hardwood :)

Once that stuff is done, the last thing to do is replace the ceiling fan in the dining room (ugly) and the light fixture in the bathroom (really ugly).

almost there!

Uncle Ben
10-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Nice!

TIMZTOY
10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Looks good. Whens the party ?:D

Uncle Ben
10-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Looks good. Whens the party ?:D

:thumb::beer2::woot::woot::pirate::cheer:

Hulk
10-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Once that stuff is done, the last thing to do is replace the ceiling fan in the dining room (ugly) and the light fixture in the bathroom (really ugly).

You can refurb the bathroom fixture for cheap (I have done this in our house). Pull it down completely. Discard the old globes. Spray paint the whole fixture white. Get some new, inexpensive globes from Home Depot or Lowes. Total cost should be under $20, including the globes and a can of white spray paint. You might be able to do it for less than $10.

J Kimmel
10-07-2010, 06:54 PM
You can refurb the bathroom fixture for cheap (I have done this in our house). Pull it down completely. Discard the old globes. Spray paint the whole fixture white. Get some new, inexpensive globes from Home Depot or Lowes. Total cost should be under $20, including the globes and a can of white spray paint. You might be able to do it for less than $10.

I thought about it, but I found a couple different types at Lowes that we both really like. Similar, but different :)

J Kimmel
10-16-2010, 11:29 AM
thought I would toss up a couple of updates. First coat on the floor is done, the second (and hopefully last) will go down Monday. I'm kind of bummed about that because I will be in Chicago all week for work so I have to wait a week to start putting things back together :) You can see a difference in the flooring if you look close, but its tough, it really came out nice. The second coat should eliminate any differences...new wood is very porous.

J Kimmel
10-16-2010, 11:35 AM
The bathroom is almost finished, I am going to hang a shower rod and curtain today, hopefully a new light fixture today as well. I've got a busy evening and I fly out tomorrow so time is limited :)

We had Weld-Wright make a 2 1/4" strip of copper, and put a patina finish on it for the front rail of the vanity. Tom and I then bent it into place and glued it in. It took some doing but I think it came out great :)

My wife has already been taking baths in here, I am hoping for my first shower under this big rain head tonight :thumbs:

I have the old mirror in the garage, going to build and stain to match a frame for it and re-hang it, figure we will buy another one or build it to match...I think that is for next week though :)

Hulk
10-16-2010, 02:27 PM
That looks great! The copper strip is really neat.

TIMZTOY
10-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Nice

RockRunner
10-17-2010, 09:51 AM
One more coat on the floor and it is on to the tile in the kitchen. Then the Bay window in the front room :rolleyes:

AxleIke
10-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Looking AWESOME!

Congrats!

J Kimmel
11-14-2010, 07:06 PM
well we are pretty much done :) Tom has a couple more tread plates to install for the tile/wood transitions. Thats about it...and we have finally been able to really clean the house and start putting junk back together :)

Just in time for snow to fly, so I don't have any house work to do, just fun stuff :)

Tom I give you two thumbs up :D You did a great job :thumb:

Here are a few finished pics

J Kimmel
11-14-2010, 07:10 PM
last ones :)

Some of the last things left to do include getting rid of the crappy old ceiling fan and replacing it with something more modern, and a matching countertop piece for the new half wall.

Really isn't much else to do :)

Happy customer :D

leiniesred
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Looks like a model home. I really like it. Looks like the house should have been that way from the start. Fantastic!

AxleIke
11-16-2010, 11:30 AM
VERY nice! Congrats!

subzali
11-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Sweet. Looks great!

Uncle Ben
11-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Very nice! Which bowl do you eat out of Jeremy?