PDA

View Full Version : How's dem leaves?

Red_Chili
09-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Not the ones you ride on... the ones you look at during the hour and a half fall season we have in Colorado, right between summer heat and a blizzard.

I am taking some friends and thinking of cruising up Argentine or maybe Bill Moore Lake (fun trail but not so many aspen). Suggestions?

CardinalFJ60
09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I know this is a Cliche pic...but it was really nice up in that area last weekend.

subzali
09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Supposedly the leaves were peaking in many places around the state last weekend. We're heading up to RMNP tomorrow to catch them and the elk bugling. Independence Pass is supposed to be really good, and I'm sure the Maroon Bells are looking good right now.

EDIT: well I'll be darned if Shawn and I weren't thinking the same thing at the same time...

MDH33
09-23-2010, 10:15 AM
How about coming up to Jenny Creek/Rollins Pass on Sunday? :)

DaveInDenver
09-23-2010, 10:21 AM
The aspens by Breck were good on Sunday. Putting around from Tiger Run up to Swandyke and around Middle Fork and Wise Mt, so views into Missouri Gulch and towards the ski area. The colors were also nice towards Grays and Torrey just driving up I-70. I'd guess this is about peak week.

Red_Chili
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
How about coming up to Jenny Creek/Rollins Pass on Sunday? :)
Might could, but have Sunday morning commitments...
'Tis a bit far for an afternoon jaunt, but it might work.

That being said, it looks like Sunday afternoon is my narrow leaf window. :(

How're things closer?

Red_Chili
09-23-2010, 11:37 AM
The aspens by Breck were good on Sunday. Putting around from Tiger Run up to Swandyke and around Middle Fork and Wise Mt, so views into Missouri Gulch and towards the ski area. The colors were also nice towards Grays and Torrey just driving up I-70. I'd guess this is about peak week.
Hmmm...

Keystone to Montezuma thence to Webster/Radical Hill area might be fun, and might work fine. Sounds like the Argentine area would be good too. Thanks!

84cruzer
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
I know this is a Cliche pic...but it was really nice up in that area last weekend.

and didn't PM me:confused: We went up Aspen mountain and down midnight mine road then drove up Castle creek road toward Pearl pass. Colors were not quite peak, should still be good this weekend.

CardinalFJ60
09-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I was on a workshop outing with a guy named Jon Speppard out of Avon. We had a packed schedule from Marble along the Crystal river(?) then through Aspen and Indepenence Pass through Leadville then back past Gilman to Minturn. it was great and I learned TONS.

Next time!!! for sure!!

-s

84cruzer
09-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Looks like you had a good time. Nice pic by the way.

Corbet
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Just starting down here at 8000ft. I have not been up higher to look lately, but imagine Silverton and Ouray are a little ahead of the homestead.

rover67
09-23-2010, 09:46 PM
We saw some nice ones last weekend in breck. Did the colorado trail from tiger road to hwy 9 and the peaks trail early to avoid the crowds.

Pic of the ladies that i was fortunate enough to ride with :)

Corbet
09-23-2010, 10:14 PM
I know that exact spot. Less than a mile from our old place:)

farnhamstj
09-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Vail is just about finished. Leaves were at there best 9/19

sno bored
09-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I think last weekend was best for Breck. We had some rain and snow over the last week that knocked off many of the leaves.

Seldom Seen
09-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Medano Creek above this springs burn area is about 90%. Should peak sometime this week. Might sill be able to catch some good color next weekend.

corsair23
09-26-2010, 11:25 PM
The colors up in Steamboat were uninspiring :( - I was really expecting better. It was odd, some sections seemed passed peak (no leaves even), so just getting to peak, and others not even starting really, all in the same general area. I didn't even bother taking any pictures of the trees it was that ho-hum :(

Red_Chili
09-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Yesterday was peak at Argentine! Awesome. I wanna take a Mtb down the old rail grade to Silver Plume sometime. Or snowshoe up it.

ajax
09-27-2010, 01:41 PM
leaves are dropping off here in the gunnison cb area, marshall pass is real nice peak was prob this last weekend

Nemo
09-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I will place my entry here. Beautiful this past weekend. This is on the Holy Cross trail between Vail Pass and RedCliff....