PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: leaf spring(s) for sagging P/U trailer

thelal
09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
I've a sagging trailer (drops 1-2" with camping stuff) but has rubbing issues on tires (see flares wanted (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14104))
but bounces around too much when off-road

I'm presuming (as its approx 1980 Toyota P/U) that I need to get replacement or extra 'strong' leafs to solve this?

Is it worth finding an old P/U and just replacing those springs or should I shelve out the money and get extra leafs or a complete replacement? - but only used for camping...

Thanks

nattybumppo
09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
I have a set of Add a Leafs from Man-a-fre for a 60 LC. They are the long version. They were about $55 plus a lot of shipping due to weight. If you want them, let me know $40.

thelal
09-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I've never had leaf springs before so a newbie on this.

Will they fit?
Are leafs interchangeable on different toyota trucks?
I can measure what mine are and send some photos if that will help.

Brendan
720 652-0467

TIMZTOY
09-25-2010, 03:56 PM
all leaf springs are interchangeable. to an extent. the main diffrence is the width of the springs. but you could also put wider springs than what you currentlly have on your pac. (talking about addig leafs) but you would have to cut a notch for the ubolt. i know ppl have done this. i personally wouldn't do it. but there really no reason not to. because its only a add-a-leaf not the whole pac.. if you cut/notch it you just created a weak spot that the leafspring could snap at.. if its your tuck your wanting to add leafs onto id.
personally look at getting some chevy leaf springs. youll get a hell of a lot more flex from them and there still 1/2 ton springs, you could even go the 3/4 ton rout if you didnt care about flex as much.. i even have a super low pro front hanger that i had fabed up for such a swap. because im doing the chevy springs myself.

u pull and pay, sells leaf springs for $20.00 a pair i belive, or $20.00 each.. somthing like that.. thats were im going.. and any chevy pickup or suburban leaf springs will fit from 1973-2004. so you can get relitevlly new springs with no sag..

nattybumppo
09-26-2010, 06:27 AM
PM me if you want me to measure width on those addaleafs. they are the 46 inch long ones.

PatrolMan
09-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Is this a spring-over (4x4) axle or spring-under (2x4)? Also the 4x4 has 6 lug 15" wheels and the 2x4 has 5 lug 14" wheels. That can make a difference in your options.

thelal
08-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Finally got around to doing some work on the trailer.

Got the underneath all sandblasted (older guy in Berthoud with monster compressor- v.good and reasonable). Was in much better shape than expected and no rust. Went ahead and applied primer, paint and then some undercoat on sections (e.g. wheel wells)

I did change the struts out but didn't make much difference offroad (still quite bouncy)

The springs still need beefing up - hence the ? on the xtra leafs

Dimensions on the existing leafs (not sure how I'm supposed to measure them)
- 2.5" wide
- 30.5" on bottom smallest leaf
- 43" on next one up (from bottom)
- next xx (just a few inches shorted than top one)
- approx 123" (just less than 4ft) from bolt to bolt for top/longest leaf (along curve)
approx 119" direct across (w/o curve) the top from bolt/eye to eye.

Here's some pictures regd axle so hop this answers the SOA question

Busted rear left tail-light so wondering where to get a spare

Also ? on getting taller skinner tires (maybe 35x10.5x15) but will do that as a separate post.

Then will get it sandblasted (topper+body) to get rid of the yellow and likely will spray-paint the same color as cruiser.

May bring to Rally on Sat as some tires, springs, car/computer bits etc. to offload.

Thanks
Brendan in Longmont with 97 FZJ80