PDA

View Full Version : DIY spacers for trailer wheels

thelal
09-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Is this a stupid idea or will it work for the small amount of travelling that I'll do with a camping trailer.

I need to push out the rims I have on my trailer (rear of old Toyota P/U approx 1980) as they are rubbing (see need flares (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14104)).

I found some old rims, derusted, painted and tried on my 34x10.5x16 Simex's (on 80s steel rims) and they worked ok (pushed up the height on the trailer which is what I need when matched with 35x16 Toyo's on my 80) but they also are sticking out about 1" (hence the need for flares above)

So....
I'm thinking of creating a home made spacer (made out of hard plastic/prop-o-something cutting board that you find in a kitchen) and that would give me approx 10mm
I seem to have enough space on the lug nuts for that

Spacers online seem to run $50+ and just not worth it for an occasional camping only trailer

Stupid or maybe might work?

nuclearlemon
09-24-2010, 08:53 PM
make sure it won't give at all. don't want it making your mounting of the rims "unround" for lack of a better word.

Red_Chili
09-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Don't go anything softer than aircraft aluminum. Bad things will happen.

thelal
09-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Hmm- even when its just for a trailer ( no brakes, free wheeling) and only going to be used occasionally and not for that great distances?

rover67
09-27-2010, 11:13 AM
I'd use some kinda of Al or Steel too.... The plastic will probably give even when you torque the lug nuts....

they sell cheap slap on spacers that have universal patterns on them pretty cheap, maybe at some speed shop locally... i know it's a bit extra, but that's what i'd do. If that plastic gives you'll have loose lug nuts and who knows how far you'll go tiil a wheel falls off.

nakman
09-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Lal I've got a pair of cheap aluminum 1/4" spacers you can have.. I think I got them at 4wheelparts for $15 or so. Plastic is just going to compress and continue to creep..

thelal
09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Tim
Sounds good. Give me a bell and I can come pickup 720 652-0467

thelal
10-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Tim had 'lost' them in his garage.
I ordered some spacers off ebay that turned out to be wrong size and sent the5/16m back

In the end I created two spacers from kitchen (some sort of hard plastic) cutting boards. One was easy to drill/cut, the other was harder (would melt and re-stitch!). However put them on the trailer and worked fine.
Was worried regd prev comments and checked every x miles and re-tightened until won't tighten anymore. The wheel nuts don't fit 'correctly' (miss 3 threads) so in time (if stay this route) may want to put in longer studs

However been camping up to Snowy Mtn, W of Centennial/Laramie in WY (as still was fireban locally) and some offroading and worked out fine

Not necessarily recommended for anyone else.

Brendan

Air Randy
10-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I remember when I was a cop I witnessed an accident occur where a car was pulling a homemade trailer on I-25. A wheel came off and the trailer swerved around and came loose from the car. A tractor trailer behind all of this slammed on his brakes causing another tractor trailer behind him to plow into him. The rear tractor trailer burst into flames killing the driver, several other drivers in cars were seriously injured in the ensuing chain reaction accident.

This is an extreme case but I would hate to see a repeat somewhere else for the sake of saving a few bucks. Go to the scrap yard and get a piece of aluminum sheet big enough to make 2 spacers from. We can cut them out then layout the bolt pattern and drill the holes on my drill press.

Rezarf
10-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Agreed, metal or leave it in the garage.

thelal
10-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for advice