PDA

View Full Version : Red Cone and Radical Hill

Snowrun
09-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Myself, Treeroot and Simps80 decided to make a run up Red Cone before it gets snowed in for the winter. The trail leading from County Road 60 up to timber line was absolutely gorgeous. The aspens have all turned yellow and the contrast against the blue sky was breath taking. The approach to Red Cone was dry and relatively easy. I was happy to have used the technique for descent I read in an old Larry Heck guide. The technique was to put it in 4 low and 1st gear than partially engage the emergency brake. Once we went down Red Cone we turned north towards Montezuma and then back south on Deer Creek rd toward the Swan River loop. As we approached the loop we decided we wanted to go to the top of Radical Hill and check it out. Only to find when we got to Radical Hill that I had blown a power steering line. It was a good time however as we repaired the split hose and all of the wheelers came off of Radical Hill and the mountain goats mingled amongst the Cruisers . We also were happy to see a fellow RS member Stonewall come up the trail and provide us with a bottle of power steering fluid.
He wanted us to make sure to say hi for him to Uncleben and Sharkbait. After completing the field repair the day was getting short so we changed plans and made the decision to exit via Radical Hill. The climb down was a bit challenging. The shelf road was a bit narrow in a few spots and rather tippy in others. I bet Treeroot takes off the roof top tent before he attempts that one again. All in all it was a great day with good friends and great trucks.

Snowrun
09-26-2010, 10:20 AM
lMvyHAZO-7A This Treeroot making the Red Cone descent.

AqjRAwnv56s Treeroot Climbing Red Cone

rsyw0ecMRFc Simps80 descent

4-lVrmE0L0M My descent of Red Cone

treerootCO
09-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Red Cone and Radical Hill were awesome, we had a blast, and the weather couldn't have been better. Even though I have wheeled Red Cone before, I forgot just how steep it is. Maybe it was the few extra pounds on the roof but I found myself sliding just enough to get that uneasy feeling you get when bad things are about to happen. This was the first run Mike ran after the new lift and I know he 'enjoyed' it :) John couldn't get enough of that tippy feeling so he lead the way down Radical Hill.

Three Wheel Ben meadow
Simps80 with Snowrun in the aspen
Approaching Red Cone
Red Cone off in the distance
Red Cone descent

treerootCO
09-26-2010, 10:53 AM
After running Red Cone we ran down Webster towards Montezuma, up Deer Creek, and then down Radical Hill. We stopped briefly at 12,500 to replace the power steering hose that ruptured. Same one and the same place mine split on a snow run last year.

Fixing the hose
The first drop off into Radical Hill. Pics don't do this justice but the brakes aren't enough to keep the truck from moving. The drop off is intense.
Part of the shelf road
Goat

Three Wheel Ben
09-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Three Wheel Ben meadow

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. :D

Looks like a bunch of fun. The pics of radical never do it justice. No matter how many times you do it, the narrow part still has a pucker factor, especially in a bigger truck.

nuclearlemon
09-26-2010, 11:16 AM
dang, wish i'd been invited..would've beat the day i had. :rolleyes:

simps80
09-26-2010, 11:21 AM
pictures look good guys! :)

I'll get my act together with pictures and videos hopefully tonight.

Awesome day, I had a blast, so did Dillon. If and when I do Radical hill again, I think I'll do it coming the other direction, down was ....interesting...!!

:cheers: :thumb:

Snowrun
09-26-2010, 11:26 AM
dang, wish i'd been invited..would've beat the day i had. :rolleyes:

PM me your cell and next time we go on a run I will give you call. It would have been great to have you along. Sorry about the bad day.

farnhamstj
09-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Brent and I were out there today. Looks like we just missed you. I went down Radical Hill. Down Webster, then up and over Redcone. I got home 1/2 hour ago. Brent is still in traffic near Idaho Springs. There are a couple washed out sections that made Webster the most frightning part of the day.

Snowrun
09-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Brent and I were out there today. Looks like we just missed you. I went down Radical Hill. Down Webster, then up and over Redcone. I got home 1/2 hour ago. Brent is still in traffic near Idaho Springs. There are a couple washed out sections that made Webster the most frightning part of the day.

I have heard Webster is almost impassible at this point. Glad to hear you guys made it back okay.

farnhamstj
09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Almost impassible... Is a bit of an overstatement. I was running solo at the time and my rig is wider and heavier than average. For a stock 40/4runner there'd be plenty of room. Either way, the South side of Webster pass is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced.

farnhamstj
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I thought I'd share my photo's here also. Goats, Gmann, Top of Redcone.

Snowrun
09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I thought I'd share my photo's here also. Goats, Gmann, Top of Redcone.

Cool Pics

simps80
09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
I guess better late than never.

Mike in the aspen on the way up redcone:

A couple of john ascending red cone:

Three of us on top of Redcone, wow its beautiful up there!!

Three of us posed on the exit of redcone, wow, its kinda good to be down from there!!

simps80
09-28-2010, 04:18 PM
a couple more ...

john descending red cone:

my driver side point of view on exit of red cone...crazy steep to me

GOATSSSS!!!! (read in a shrek voice)

Snowrun
09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
That pic of the last descent coming off Red Cone is very cool. I like the others as well.

farnhamstj
09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
"Goats!!!!"

and some sweet trails.

84cruzer
09-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Is that an LED light bar on the white 80?

Snowrun
09-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Is that an LED light bar on the white 80?
Yea thats Treeroots rig with the 50 inch Rigid LED light bar

84cruzer
09-28-2010, 07:36 PM
That light bar is cool.... and WOW! a bit pricey. I would like to have one on my rig. Cool pics by the way, have always wanted to run Redcone just haven't yet.
:bowdown::eek:

nick in nebraska
11-04-2010, 08:42 AM
i ran that run a few years back before i joined the RS. I had just got the 2F back in the 60 and thought it would be a good way to break it in. i also needed to pick up and old toy pick up and tow it back to good ole NE. It was a very hot day as we left home. nearing 100. got to denver with out any misshaps. found a motel that let us park the two wheel tote. Stayed the night. headed out the next day. when we got passed Monta zuma the temp gauge went to cold. when i checked the rad it was dry. checked for leaks and found none. toped it off and continued. no other problems. made it back to denver and went to pick up the toy truck. once again it was very hot out. about 10 miles out of denver we started to over heat. once again low on water. every 10 to 20 miles we had to stop and top off. it was a very long and hot trip back. when i got home we pulled the head and yup you gessed it. the new head gasket let go. we made that whole trip and towed the truck back to North Platte with a blowen head gasket with no damage to the motor. Good ole toyota tuff !! A couple years latter made the trip again this time with mom and dad and thier 4 runner. (lesson learned dont wheel alone) ha. we made it up ond over and down to St. Elmo and wheeled and camped with out any issues.