PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mule is getting a heart transplant

RicardoJM
09-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Yesterday evening Dr. Schlegs and I gave Air Randy a hand with pulling the engine and drive train from the Mule. Randy's shop is very well equipped and his knowledge and experience make the work experience enjoyable. The job progressed smoothly and we encountered no issues of significance.

Randy started the process at 3:00 and by 8:00 everything was out. We pulled the engine, tranny and t-case as a unit. To balance the load, we attached the hook just above the #5 cylinder hole. I had the camera, but didn't snap photos until the end.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/MtnTrucker/bmnh/w_bmnh001.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/MtnTrucker/bmnh/w_bmnh002.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/MtnTrucker/bmnh/w_bmnh003.jpg

nakman
09-28-2010, 08:27 AM
So is the orange one the one going in? Is that a rebuilt 2F?

RicardoJM
09-28-2010, 09:23 AM
So is the orange one the one going in? Is that a rebuilt 2F?

Yes and yes. Randy has rebuilt the 2F some time ago and it has been "in reserve" waiting for its time. The tranny is an H41 and the t-case is Orion, both will be going back in.

Dr. Schlegs
09-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Randy's shop is very well equipped and his knowledge and experience make the work experience enjoyable.

Second that!!!! A great teacher for sure.

Ricardo and I saw 3 nice bucks crossing the street as we were leaving Randy's place. They looked tasty:drool:

RockRunner
09-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Cool, Randy does have some knowledge in that thick skull of his ;) I would love to help with projects like this but have no time on my hands:( That is actually a good thing but sure would enjoy learning some extra motor stuff.

84cruzer
09-28-2010, 06:38 PM
That re-build is HOT!

nuclearlemon
09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
dang, if i'd known, larry and i woulda been there to help.

Air Randy
09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Well, were puttin the new one back in either on Saturday or on Sunday if we decide to do the Chinaman's run on Saturday. I have a fridge in the shop with cold beer...........:hill:

nuclearlemon
09-28-2010, 10:01 PM
larry's outta town, i got shawns wedding saturday, but if you do it sunday, i'll be there:)

Hulk
09-28-2010, 11:47 PM
shawns wedding saturday...

Magoo?

AxleIke
09-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Nice! Looking forward to seeing the new one in!

RicardoJM
10-02-2010, 10:11 PM
New engine is in and it sounds real nice. It fired right up and there are no leaks.

Randy mated up the drive train to the engine yesterday and took care of a few other things. We started at 9:00 this morning and by 8:30 this evening the break in run was complete. We ran into a few things as everything was going back together, but nothing that we didn't get resolved - you know just time sinks:D. About the only things left to do is get the shifters installed.

I had my camera but didn't take any pictures until the end.

Rzeppa
10-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Nice! Ricardo, not only you a gem in Rising Sun, but you must have a very understanding wife!

RicardoJM
10-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Nice! Ricardo, not only you a gem in Rising Sun, but you must have a very understanding wife!

The club is full of understanding wives (or not understandign x-wives) and gems.:D

While I've lent a hand, Randy would have completed this engine swap all on his own. Yes, there were times when we were working on different things in parallel and many hands do make light work; yada, yada, yada. That said, there are many little things that pop up (new to me but familiar to Randy) and having Randy around really counts big on the small stuff.:D