PDA

View Full Version : Good local source for FJ40 fusible link retrofit?

cbmontgo
09-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Mine crapped out on me and Toyota no longer carries these. Anyone know of a place in town that has plastic clips that would retrofit onto a 40? I may need to fab something...

Here's the part:

rover67
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
I rebuilt mine in my 40 by sliding the metal insides out of the plastic clip, carefully un-crimping the wire by unwrapping the crimp with pliers, then re-crimping the new fusible link wire in. I soldered it to make sure it was good to go.

I was forced to do it when I accidentally shorted out the hot post on the alternator and blew it.

cbmontgo
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
I rebuilt mine in my 40 by sliding the metal insides out of the plastic clip, carefully un-crimping the wire by unwrapping the crimp with pliers, then re-crimping the new fusible link wire in. I soldered it to make sure it was good to go.

I was forced to do it when I accidentally shorted out the hot post on the alternator and blew it.

Thanks, Marco. Where can you buy this type of wire? Also, what gauge did you use? It needs to be a little higher gauge (thinner) than the stock harness I think?

subzali
09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
I just bought mine at NAPA, then cut the plastic connector off on the OEM harness, leaving some wiring exposed, and spliced the wires together.

I saw your thread over on MUD, hope you get it fixed.

rover67
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I might actually actually have some left... let me check tonight. I got it as part of a battery cable kit that I got from an aftermarket vendor.

cbmontgo
09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
I might actually actually have some left... let me check tonight. I got it as part of a battery cable kit that I got from an aftermarket vendor.

Very cool. Thanks guys...

cbmontgo
10-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Picked up the fusible link wire at Napa today. Hope to get it back together soon. Thanks for the posts, fellas.

I guess primary wire is the same as fusible link? They kept calling it primary wire?

nuclearlemon
10-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Picked up the fusible link wire at Napa today. Hope to get it back together soon. Thanks for the posts, fellas.

I guess primary wire is the same as fusible link? They kept calling it primary wire?

i've never heard fusible link wire referred to as primary wire. places i've dealt with have called regular wire primary wire. i don't think they are the same. it needs to say "fusible" or something that would refer to slow blowing in the name.

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/2,725.html
http://s246612274.onlinehome.us/wiringdepot.com/public_html/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=59&osCsid=35fc27f7192a155b58e440b505ecca07

cbmontgo
10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
i've never heard fusible link wire referred to as primary wire. places i've dealt with have called regular wire primary wire. i don't think they are the same. it needs to say "fusible" or something that would refer to slow blowing in the name.

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/2,725.html
http://s246612274.onlinehome.us/wiringdepot.com/public_html/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=59&osCsid=35fc27f7192a155b58e440b505ecca07

I just looked at the box it came in; it is called "fusible link primary wire". I guess fusible link can also be a primary wire since it is hot; who knows.

I am going to look for some connectors today so that I can get this thing installed and maybe pick up an extra or two in case it happens again.

Thanks for the posts...

subzali
10-03-2010, 01:18 PM
If it happens again you'll want to find where the amperage draw is coming from in your electrical system...

rover67
10-03-2010, 03:20 PM
cool, glad you got it.. turns out I had some, but it was a pretty short piece..

cbmontgo
10-04-2010, 09:24 AM
If it happens again you'll want to find where the amperage draw is coming from in your electrical system...

I am hoping that old age was the cause, but I will definitely investigate if/when this happens again. I don't want my 40 burning up on the trail one of these days!