PDA

View Full Version : The Runner needs a tune!!

Big-J
10-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Whats up everyone, it's been a while since I have been on the boards, but once again Im in need of your vast knowledge in the world of the 4Runner! :bowdown:
It's getting close to the winter season and my Im ready to hit the slopes, but I don't think my '99 Runner is. Can someone point me to a mechanic who can give my ride some TLC with some reasonable rates? A couple of you guys had given me some info before, but I have since lost it. :o

TIMZTOY
10-05-2010, 10:18 AM
whats wrong with it ?

Big-J
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
It's idling funny when Im stopped, it gets low and shakes. Im starting to here some belt noise when I turn it on, its not bad, but I have noticed it has gotten louder. It's just not running 100%, and I think I good tune would do it good.

nakman
10-05-2010, 11:01 AM
So if it's been a few years on the belts just replace them.. how long has it been on the timing belt? Rough idle is often air leaks... either the big flex hose from the air filter, or one of the vacuum lines, or a combination of those.. but yeah new plugs & pcv never hurt anything either may was well knock out the easy stuff.

Maybe you can bribe someone here for help... Timztoy is pretty good with these things and he likes beer :beer: but lots of guys here have 3.4 experience so if you dive in yourself you can always post back up for tips.

For a true mechanic, our resident expert is Powderpig on the board here, though I don't know his current availability. hth..

Big-J
10-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I would really like to knock out the easy stuff myself, but Im lacking space, time, and the proper tools, so if I could find someone to do the easy stuff and everything else that comes with a complete tune, I would be happy!

Inukshuk
10-05-2010, 04:20 PM
After club members Slee Offroad and Robbie, my other choice (and sometimes first because he's close and took care of me in the pre-Slee days), is the Toy Shop. Greg. 1185 S. Cherokee St. Denver, CO 80223. (303) 744-7621

Big-J
10-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info everyone!